PDA

View Full Version : No Uplay DRM means this is my first UBIsoft purchase in over a year

japinard
01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
In the official system specs post the dreaded, "Internet connection required to play" line is absent. Instead replaced with the traditional "Internet required for multiplayer".

Now if UBIsoft would just do the same thing for Silent Hunter 5 & Assassin's Creed 2, they'd have some more PC sales from me.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1032709/m/6811032709 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/6811032709)

kleaneasy
01-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Can I just clarify Uplay is NOT a DRM or anything to do with the Online Services Platform (OSP), itís an entirely different service available in all Ubisoft games released after its introduction which basically allows players to redeem available items with points earned while playing any Uplay enabled game. Itís also an optional service which players do not have to use if they chose not to.

It seems a lot of people have been confusing the two, itís important to know they're different so we can properly assist when people get issues with one or the other

However with regard to the DRM Online Services Platform and SH5 & AC2 on PC, these both require the player to login when first loading up the game but do not require a constant connection to play. I realise this is still an issue for some but thought I'd mention it in case you were unaware.

Bearcat99
01-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by ms-kleaneasy:
Can I just clarify Uplay is NOT a DRM or anything to do with the Online Services Platform (OSP), itís an entirely different service available in all Ubisoft games released after its introduction which basically allows players to redeem available items with points earned while playing any Uplay enabled game. Itís also an optional service which players do not have to use if they chose not to.

It seems a lot of people have been confusing the two, itís important to know they're different so we can properly assist when people get issues with one or the other

However with regard to the DRM Online Services Platform and SH5 & AC2 on PC, these both require the player to login when first loading up the game but do not require a constant connection to play. I realise this is still an issue for some but thought I'd mention it in case you were unaware.

Whooooooaaaa ........ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
So when you say uplay .. do you mean the same Yuplay associated with Wings of Prey..
http://yuplay.com/img/items/CCEDC139-489C-44E3-89A7-A61F417A078D.gif
and the yum and all that.... business?

... and am I correct in my understanding that while CoD will require an internet connection for activation it will not require an internet connection to play, unless of course you want to do multiplayer and in that case, you still do not have to connect up to a particular service.. like YuPlay or like in the old days with the UBI system... I realize that you may not have some of these answers at this time and perhaps I should just take them directly the the source.. but the YuPlay thing.. is that the same YuPlay?

Jughead310th
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
BC i think this is going to be the same thing that they used, or very similer to Flight Sim X.
When you install, you have to have a internet connection to compleate the insallation. After that it's no big deal. It gets rather anoying if you have to re-install or have a hard drive crash. Even more so for ppl who buy just for offline or worse live in the sticks and don't have internet avalible. For those OUTSIDE the US...a large part of the country is rather Rual. And so not every one or every community has internet access. I see this as being a problem...all be it a small one affecting maybe only 15% of the players. I would hope that in the case of No internet connection UBI has a customer service solution in place to help those ppl. But given my past exp. with thier Cust. Srv. Dept.....not likley.

WTE_Galway
01-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Jughead310th:
BC i think this is going to be the same thing that they used, or very similer to Flight Sim X.
When you install, you have to have a internet connection to compleate the insallation. After that it's no big deal. It gets rather anoying if you have to re-install or have a hard drive crash. Even more so for ppl who buy just for offline or worse live in the sticks and don't have internet avalible. For those OUTSIDE the US...a large part of the country is rather Rual. And so not every one or every community has internet access. I see this as being a problem...all be it a small one affecting maybe only 15% of the players. I would hope that in the case of No internet connection UBI has a customer service solution in place to help those ppl. But given my past exp. with thier Cust. Srv. Dept.....not likley.

To be fair to Microsoft --- with FSX there was a telephone activation phone number available. It was annoying and slow to use (I never bothered with it) but at least the option to activate by phone was there for people with no internet that really wanted to play the game.

I am not aware of UBI offering a similar phone-up service with CoD but I suppose its possible, we will have to wait and see.

PB0_shadow
01-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
but the YuPlay thing.. is that the same YuPlay?

No

WoP = Yuplay
Ubi= Uplay

SsSsSsSsSnake
01-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by PB0_shadow:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
but the YuPlay thing.. is that the same YuPlay?

No

WoP = Yuplay
Ubi= Uplay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats a relief thenhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ba5tard5word
01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Questions, not sure if there are answers yet:

Will there be a restriction on how many times you can install it, like with Mass Effect?

Will there be a non-Collectors Edition boxed version in the first place and will there be any advantages to having the boxed version?

And I'm guessing that boxed and downloaded versions won't let you resell the game, or can you? You can't with ROF apparently unless you give the person your account because it's tied to your account and your email address, I wouldn't mind selling or even giving away my copy of ROF especially now that COD is coming out. When later versions of COD inevitably come out with the new bells and whistles, the early adopters might want to resell or give away their original COD copies to people who are too cheap to buy the new version but want to try out the original. This is kind of dependent on whether COD's new versions come in the form of expansions that install over the original game (sort of like what ROF does with patches and plane purchases) or in standalone versions like the way 1946 stands on its own and doesn't work with previous versions of Il-2.

K_Freddie
01-29-2011, 02:59 PM
.. these both require the player to login when first loading up the game but do not require a constant connection to play. I realise this is still an issue for some but thought I'd mention it in case you were unaware.
The issue is still based on... being able to play a normal game without an internet connection.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

kleaneasy
02-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ms-kleaneasy:
.. these both require the player to login when first loading up the game but do not require a constant connection to play. I realise this is still an issue for some but thought I'd mention it in case you were unaware.
The issue is still based on... being able to play a normal game without an internet connection.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that, my point in posting was to clear some confusion surrounding Uplay and OSP and the current situation with other games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyone looking for more information on Uplay check out www.Uplay.com (http://www.Uplay.com) which will give you an idea on the way it works and content made available through Uplay for past titles

Re number of activations Ė Iíll see what I can find out

RSS-Martin
02-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Oh yes that would be of interest, as I have a SH3 which I bought but can not install anymore. I had it on a older computer which has now been scraped, but on the new one it is a no go.....I do hope this is not the case with CoD as this game will hopefully run as long as IL2 meaning a few computer switches during that time.

kleaneasy
02-03-2011, 05:18 AM
In answer to the earlier question the game works on Tages so you get 5 activations, you can also install it every month

JG52Uther
02-03-2011, 06:51 AM
So CoD only has 5 activations? Can you explain how that works please,as I have never had a game with that set up.

kleaneasy
02-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by JG52Uther:
So CoD only has 5 activations? Can you explain how that works please,as I have never had a game with that set up.

Bear in mind I've not used it this is my understanding from what I've been told.

You get 5 activations, however once you've used them all you may have one new re install once a month there after. So even after you've used your first 5 activations you are still able to install and activate the game, its simply limited in frequency.

JG52Uther
02-03-2011, 08:53 AM
OK that doesn't seem so bad!

jafa1967
02-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Still sounds like mumbo jumbo to me , so after my very first EVER activation of the game , can I put the disk in and play the game without being connected to the internet ....? as many times as I like....?

Ba5tard5word
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
This limited number of installs/"activations" could be really annoying. I've often had to reintall Il-2 several times because my install got messed up somehow or another. Sometimes I've had to reintall it twice or more in the same day to get it to work right. Ask anyone here and they've probably reinstalled the game a few times. Hopefully COD won't have some of the flaky issues Il-2 can have but we don't know that. Also it's always been useful to have backup copies of the game on your hard drive, maybe because you want to keep a 4.09 copy alongside your 4.10 copy, or because you use mods and want to keep a backup copy just in case. Having limited installs and only being able to have one copy is ok in some other games but if COD is anything like Il-2, limited installs and activations will be extremely annoying.

kleaneasy
02-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by jafa1967:
Still sounds like mumbo jumbo to me , so after my very first EVER activation of the game , can I put the disk in and play the game without being connected to the internet ....? as many times as I like....?

In short YES
This game does NOT use the Online Services Platform so does not need you connected to the internet to play.

You must be connected on install to activate the game as is the case with many others, but after this point you can play as much as you like while OFFLINE

@Ba5tard5word I assume this is designed to prevent people installing the game on multiple PCs namely not their own. If there are problems with install that swallow up activations Iím sure support could help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dance
02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
It was the same with ISI's rFactor, one online activation and 5 further activations. It worked fine, and after a few years of system problems and upgrades when I had finally run out of activations, I just mailed them my original activation key and they gave me 5 more. I have no reason to doubt that this will be just as friendly.

Ba5tard5word
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I hope it will be easy to get more activations but that will depend on how responsive Ubi is about that.

But I wonder if it will let you have more than one install on a computer, that has always come in handy in Il-2 because it seems to pick up corrupt files or intractibly messed up settings more than other games, and that's without using mods! Again it depends on how flaky COD is, hopefully it's more airtight, but a lot of people will probably want a backup copy especially if mods ever come out.

Dance
02-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
I hope it will be easy to get more activations but that will depend on how responsive Ubi is about that.

But I wonder if it will let you have more than one install on a computer, that has always come in handy in Il-2 because it seems to pick up corrupt files or intractibly messed up settings more than other games, and that's without using mods! Again it depends on how flaky COD is, hopefully it's more airtight, but a lot of people will probably want a backup copy especially if mods ever come out.

True about Ubi's take on the activation, but if you have the proof of your original purchase, I can't see why they would be difficult about it.

With rFactor you could have as many installs as you liked on the same rig (you just copied and pasted the original).

Ba5tard5word
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
With rFactor you could have as many installs as you liked on the same rig (you just copied and pasted the original).

Did that take away from the number of activations or not? If not then that would be good though we don't know if it will be like that for COD.

Dance
02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Did that take away from the number of activations or not? If not then that would be good though we don't know if it will be like that for COD.

Fortunately not, once it had been activated it ran from any copy of the original install, whatever the name of the directory. I guess if CoD was more picky you could make multiple copies on the same system and do what you like to them as long as you renamed the install folders according to the original when you wanted to use them.

jafa1967
02-06-2011, 06:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jafa1967:

In short YES
This game does NOT use the Online Services Platform so does not need you connected to the internet to play.

You must be connected on install to activate the game as is the case with many others, but after this point you can play as much as you like while OFFLINE

@Ba5tard5word I assume this is designed to prevent people installing the game on multiple PCs namely not their own. If there are problems with install that swallow up activations Iím sure support could help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats great news and thanks also for the snappy reply....

Jafa.