PDA

View Full Version : Taxi-ing in a thunderstorm

Hendley
06-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Love the new patch, but...

I'm having a hard time progressing in my new I-16 campaign, because in mission #2 I have to take off in a thunderstorm.

Okay, no prob, except that upon spawning, the airplane slowly but unavoidably rotates about 45 degrees to the left, and no amount of brake and/or rudder will stop it.

Okay, no prob, just have to taxi back into the right direction...except that this is impossible. No combination of throttle/rudder/brake will turn the plane back onto the runway. Once some speed is built up I can turn it 90 degrees in either direction, but no more... not enough to get it back on the runway.

Okay, no prob, I'll just take off in a random direction over the fields...except the new FM makes it next to impossible to take off from any surface other than the runway.

So, I'm stuck, and my questions are:

1. Anyone else having this problem, and have you solved it plane-control-wise? And...

2. If not, is there a quick fix method to edit this mission and continue the campaign?

Many thanks in advance for the help...

FlatSpinMan
06-13-2005, 08:52 AM
I had the same prob in a 190D under 3.04. Kept ploughing into trees, bouncing around on the grass until my prop bent and so on. Got tired fast.
I was told that the effects of wind etc are modelled really strongly on the ground hence the lack of turning ability. its supposed to be wind or something. I ended up changing my campaign weather settings, although I do remember that once I had got my speed high enough with hard left rudder initially that I was able to take off a couple of times

===================================

WOODY01
06-13-2005, 09:11 AM
arrrr yea...Well we had a really cool mini Beaufighter campaign coop slotted in for Saturday night, 5 missions in all, now we in the VAAF (http://www.vaaf.com) have an unwritten rule that with coop missions, if someone crashes on takeoff we restart the mission, as were more about haveing fun than pi$$ing compatitions up walls. However we found that even our more experianced flyers were haveing real trouble takeing off. After 6 (!) restarts we decided that the only way we were going to get the nights flying finished was for me to rebuild the missions with air starts. Now this caused more problems as the timeing was critical on many missions, and it was an hour and a half before we got the FIRST mission under way for real. I personally dont mind the new FM, but when youve got a group of people of mixed ability trying to fly coop together? forget it. It just ends in frustration. (BTW we were flying in 'Hazy and poor' conditions. umm yea not impressed overall.

Chuck_Older
06-13-2005, 09:44 AM
H81A-2 does this in 3.04m

Freelancer-1
06-13-2005, 09:48 AM
The quick fix is let the autopilot do the take-off and then take over manually once you're in the air.

Slechtvalk
06-13-2005, 10:00 AM
This is really overdone and once in the air you don't really notice the hard wind.

Only sollution is to get your plane in the same direction as the wind but that's not always the direction from your landing strip.

SeaFireLIV
06-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Hendley:

So, I'm stuck, and my questions are:

1. Anyone else having this problem, and have you solved it plane-control-wise? And...

2. If not, is there a quick fix method to edit this mission and continue the campaign?

I`ve had EXACTLY this problem. I don`t get it. The engine`s not running so it can`t be torque. Wind? But then this wind`s gotta be blowing so hard the aircraft should be tipping over! I don`t get it - this really cannot be correct. What`s going on?

I did manage a take off by just running over the fields like a mad hopping hare until by sheer luck I took off, but it was nigh a disaster. There`s no way an I16 pilot should have this much trouble and if conditions REALLY were that bad you`d be grounded anyway. And of course no tail wheel to lock.

If anyone knows of a proper way to do this please say, otherwise ithink I`ll make a comment in the `4.00 Patch bug thread`.

SeaFireLIV
06-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Hendley:

Actually, I nearly forgot there is a way. You need to set the Campaign difficulty button `NO INSTANT MISSION SUCCESS` to OFF, keep the rest of the difficulty as normal. Then you can simply quit and hit `Apply` to the next mission. You`ll have to restart your Campaign.

Remember, you`ll still not continue a mission if you get killed, it just allows you to Abort a mission if it`s too much. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hendley
06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
The quick fix is let the autopilot do the take-off and then take over manually once you're in the air.

Ah-ha, thanks. Just tried it out and watched my very skillful AI pilot friend bounce merrily over fields and into the sky... I really should have thought of that... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

But yeah, Seafire, I thought it was/is a bug too, but figured I'd best post here first before reporting it as such. Hmmm... Like you, I managed to get off the ground once through sheer luck, but 10 or so attempts since then... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

This is probably worth a bug report.

FI-Aflak
06-13-2005, 09:35 PM
the aircraft is acting the like a weathervane, the verticle stabalizer forcing it to point into the wind.

Lock your tailwheel straight, it should help until it lifts off, by which point you should have enough forward speed to be able to handle the remaining wind effect with heavy rudder.

VW-IceFire
06-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I tested takeoff in a Spitfire IX, Spitfire V, P-47, and Yak-3 with no issues. I haven't tried an I-16 yet...

I'll do more testing.

SeaFireLIV
06-14-2005, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I tested takeoff in a Spitfire IX, Spitfire V, P-47, and Yak-3 with no issues. I haven't tried an I-16 yet...

I'll do more testing.

good luck. I fly the I16 all the time too. BTW, the I16 has no tail wheel to lock.

73GIAP_Milan
06-14-2005, 06:56 AM
I have noticed the same, it's really horrible to get off the ground, nearly impossible sometimes..

And this costed me alot of points when i flew online on a stormy map made by some nut..

(And i was the nut to be persistent to try getting off the ground http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )

Btw, this is not only on the I-16 but i also experienced it on the P-11 if i'm not mistaken..
Should test this a bit more especially with the lighter/early aircraft

Tully__
06-14-2005, 11:05 PM
A test shows that I can hold it straight while not moving (the later model I-16) with brakes/full rudder/11-14% throttle. Apply brakes and hold then start the engine as soons as you spawn, as soon as the engine starts run the throttle up full until you get rudder response (engine takes a couple of seconds to build rpm) then back it off to the above indicated range to hold the plane in the desired direction.

Taking off while trying to stay on the runway in those conditions is an interesting experience using keyboard rudder though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

potver
06-15-2005, 12:29 AM
The A-20 does the same in bad weather or gras-strips.
On concrete I can hold her on course, but just.
In 3.04 this was for the A-20 and B-25 impossible for me.
Also I,ve troubles keeping the P-47 straight at the moment.

SeaFireLIV
06-15-2005, 04:40 AM
Thnx, Tully. I`ll try your suggestion. Guess we`re stuck with the I16 type 18, since it has no tail wheel. But no one flies that much anyway I guess.

Tully__
06-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
...Guess we`re stuck with the I16 type 18, since it has no tail wheel...
The technique should work just as well for both models, though the throttle setting may be a bit different.