PDA

View Full Version : Landing problems

knoc11
01-22-2005, 09:21 AM
I am posting this for a second time because I think I posted it the first time in the wrong place, sorry. I am wonder if someone has done this before or someone might do it now. Iwould appreciate some tutoring in landing. I am a newbe and have been using ahe hellcat because I have a lot of hours in hellcats and many carrie landing . for some reason I find this to be more difficult than the real thing. I have not tried the carrie because so far I have had minimal luck on the airports.Thanks.knoc11

knoc11
01-22-2005, 09:21 AM
I am posting this for a second time because I think I posted it the first time in the wrong place, sorry. I am wonder if someone has done this before or someone might do it now. Iwould appreciate some tutoring in landing. I am a newbe and have been using ahe hellcat because I have a lot of hours in hellcats and many carrie landing . for some reason I find this to be more difficult than the real thing. I have not tried the carrie because so far I have had minimal luck on the airports.Thanks.knoc11

J_Weaver
01-22-2005, 09:48 AM
I really don't what to tell you. The best thing is pratice, but I'm sure you know that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gifI'm sure that someone around here will post a link to a tutorial. I think there are a few in game tutorials on landings under the training menu.

Good Luck and Happy Flying! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

IV_JG51_Razor
01-22-2005, 09:56 AM
I think the trick is to get your airspeed under control. Get into the pattern at around 5-600 feet, gear down, and flaps full down. Power back to about 40%. If you hold your altitude, you'll find that your airspeed will settle down to about 90Kts. Turn base just as you come abeam the carrier, and don't forget to put your hook down! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Use your stick to keep your speed between 80-90 Kts, and your throttle to control your rate of descent. Your rate of turn should be such that, just before you arrive at the carrier deck, you are rolling out wings level. It is right about here that you should be no more than 50 feet above the deck (about twice the height used in RL), and able to "cut" your throttle for the landing. When you do cut, hold your plane in a nice three point attitude all the way down to the deck. Do not dive for the deck! Just be patient. It's there, and you're headed for it! The only question is, did you cut too early, or too late? If the rest of the pattern was flown correctly, this is the only variable. With time, you'll be able to regognize when you can cut and mske it to the deck. This what the LSO's job was in RL, but we have to figure it out for ourselves.

The most important thing I would stress here, is that whatever technique you adopt, you be consistant in every landing attempt. If you blow it and crash, or bolter or wave off, when you come around again for another pass, you won't ever learn from your mistakes if you are randomely flying around all over the place in the pattern. Make a habbit of establishing an altitude/airspeed combination for every landing pattern you fly, regardless of whether it's on a carrier, or a grass strip out on the Steps. You'll find that your landings will improve very rapidly.