PDA

View Full Version : Shiden screenshots, source or reference?

Ruy Horta
10-03-2004, 11:12 AM
UBI update screenshots (http://www.pacific-fighters.com/ss/Kawanishi_N1K-J_3.jpg)

Wondered where the artist found this particular scheme, any reference?

Meant constructively, but I am wondering about the lower surface camouflage color. Thought that mot f not all early Shidens were delivered with the undersides remaining in their natural finish. My own sources seem to confirm this, so it simply triggered my curiosity.

Those who take this as another "depressingly negative comment" should skip my question.

SkyChimp
10-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Looks like a case of artistic-license. I can't find a scheme like that either. But who knows.

Ruy Horta
10-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Well I should have checked the decal info sheets I keep for reference on my HDD before posting, since at least one of the Aerodecal sheets features such schemes.

It references two Bunrindo publications (FAOW) and a Polish one, of which I only have the later Bunrindo. As far as the fotos are concerned (I don't read Japanese) I still have my doubts, but its difficult to spot the difference between light gray and natural metal when it comes to the under side.

I am still leaning towards a majority of natural metal birds, but the artist is certainly within his right to apply some licence.

Lets face it, this series is flexible when it comes to skins, don't like 'em, change 'em.

BTW I particularly like the Hinomaru color, since I just fancy that more alternative "orangy" look.

Snootles
10-03-2004, 11:38 AM
I like the way the Hinomaru look like they're actually painted on the aircraft's body so you can see panel lines underneath. The A6M's markings in AEP look like big red stickers- you can't see panel lines and their shading is inconsistent with the rest of the plane.

Waldo.Pepper
10-03-2004, 11:50 AM
The FAOW books are great. I have many many of them.

KIMURA
10-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Most N1K1-Ja templates shows a bare aluminum lower surface.

Ruy Horta
10-03-2004, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snootles:
I like the way the Hinomaru look like they're actually _painted_ on the aircraft's body so you can see panel lines underneath. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be new to the subject, but this is simply the difference between actually having the markings on the original skin and having the applied by the sim over a blank skin.

Although the former looks much better, the latter enables the player to use different nationality markings if he chooses. For instance flying a Focke-Wulf under Japanese markings, a Spitfire under American ones or a P-40 under RAAF roundels.

Many (if not most) third part skins are now supplied with a blank version as well, supplying both the best possible look with flexibility.

Snootles
10-03-2004, 12:08 PM
I was aware of that. I just prefer the look of the "integral" national markings.

Ruy Horta
10-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Sorry if I sound condenscending with my explanation, but judging from the reaction in your previous post you didn't appear to be someone who knew why there was such a difference in look between the Zero and Shiden's markings.

OTOH when dogfighting you don't look at the rivets much, do you?

Wonder if they could adopt that superior lighting technique that some third party tool used for markings (Although I never got it too work myself).

horseback
10-03-2004, 12:33 PM
There probably were some early Shidens with grey undersides, but the best explanation is that it's simply easier to do a skin with grey paint than a weathered NMF. The early Georges saw a lot of their action in the Phillippines, where the paints used by all participants took a serious beating.

Prewar photos of Olive-Drab and Neutral Grey P-35s painted after being stationed at Clark showed some unbelievable flaking & fading, comparable to the pics we have of the Japanese aircraft found on the ground in the P.I. and CBI. As a modeller, I found that only the early war Italian planes showed a comparable degree of paint wear and chipping that the Japanese a/c exhibited.

cheers

horseback