PDA

View Full Version : How did the U.S. come up with names for the Subs?

pharmman17
04-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I was just wondering about that, some of you ex-Navy guys probably know. In SH3 the "U-XXX" just sounded deadly. In SH4, It doesn't sound deadly and I don't feel deadly running around in the USS Pompano.

pharmman17
04-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I was just wondering about that, some of you ex-Navy guys probably know. In SH3 the "U-XXX" just sounded deadly. In SH4, It doesn't sound deadly and I don't feel deadly running around in the USS Pompano.

logman01
04-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally the navy used a similar numbering system, but then switched to sea creatures. Ballistic missile subs then started getting other names, such as George Washingtion and then switched to state names, like the battleships used to be.

Attack subs switched to city names in order to get political backing. The Los Angeles class was so named because congressmen who supported the project had a sub named after their city. the Seawolf class tried to get back to tradition, but then named the next two Conneticut and Jimmy Carter. The new Virginia class attack sub seems to stick with state names, which makes me wonder about the future of ballastic missile subs.

There was a big discussion on naming ships after someone discovered the next US carrier was named after the first President Bush. If you can find that discussion, you can learn a lot.