PDA

View Full Version : does the watch crew always looks thru binoculars?

bootysnapper69
12-10-2004, 09:36 AM
does the watch crew ALWAYS looks thru binoculars? I noticed that I havnt seen a demo or a screenshot where they were not looking thru the binoculars. From what i understand, they spent half the time looking thru the binoculars and the other half using the naked eye. Has anyone seen a shot of the watch crew NOT looking through the binoculars?

Also, in the demo video with the iceberg, the port watch crew is staring at an iceberg 10 feet away with the binoculars, looks kinda fake.
Anyone brought this stuff to devteam attention?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-10-2004, 10:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bootysnapper69:
does the watch crew ALWAYS looks thru binoculars? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In one of the movies a watch officer stops looking through the binoculars and points at something in the distance.

As for crew looking at icebergs and such, it would take a lot of programming to make crewmen look away from close objects. Probably not worth the time to do it, since those objects will appear much more often in a trailer (where they're trying to show off all the features) than they will in a real patrol.

HeibgesU999
12-10-2004, 11:50 AM
How do you know they are not looking at something beyond the iceberg?

one.zero
12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
They are not really looking at anything..they are bored and pretending to be looking so as to avoid getting in trouble. I surmise they are actually looking at the inside lens surfaces for dust particles, scratches or moisture.

ha.

jcurrens
12-11-2004, 05:47 AM
i pities the germans on that behalf, though some commanders were known to be nice and considerate of its crew...is that true?

Lanzfeld
12-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Along these lines....

Are we going to be rotating watches on a cycle to battle watch fatigue?
How long was a U-boat watch?

dse1010
12-11-2004, 03:56 PM
The fakest part of that video is that they only see the ship after it comes around the iceberg, and then it's really surprising. You'd think they would have spotted it miles away, but apparently the iceberg was blocking the ship the whole time.

Lanzfeld
12-11-2004, 04:03 PM
they probably just "spawned" there for that video clip.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2004, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dse1010:
The fakest part of that video is that they only see the ship after it comes around the iceberg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. It would never happen like that in reality.

Yarrick_
12-12-2004, 03:13 AM
I don't agree. I supose the U-boat was hiden behind the iceberg to make some repairs or something like that.
They had been there for a while, so they hadn't seen them coming yet. At the start of the video the, sub is stopped and then the player orders ahead full to the first officer.

GertFroebe
12-12-2004, 03:20 AM
The uboat watch crew cycled every 4 hours.

I've seen one watch crewman taking off his binoculars and cleaning it (in one of those videos).

bootysnapper69
12-12-2004, 08:26 AM
but all in all, so far as we can tell, those guys up there will spend almost four continuous hours staring through the binoculars.

I really hope that can be modded out.

Lanzfeld
12-12-2004, 08:27 AM
But isn't that, more or less, accurate? I thought that is what they are suppost to do?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-12-2004, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yarrick_:
I don't agree. I supose the U-boat was hiden behind the iceberg to make some repairs or something like that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's inherently dangerous. You simply don't mess around that close to icebergs. What if you drift towards the iceberg and when you start the engines it tears a nice hole in your pressure hull or damages your rudder or propellors?

Besides, the ships' course was such that unless the sub was submerged, the watch crew would have seen the enemy ships before they were blocked by the iceberg. On the other hand, if the sub had been submerged, the hydrophone guy would have had to be asleep not to hear those ships.

Messervy
12-12-2004, 10:30 AM
That iceberg is just another bad hollywood touch in order to bring some tension in the video, that`s all.

thefalen
12-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Did you see the video?

They had a watchman at night who was looking through binocs, he see's something in the distance, puts down his binocs for a second, and then reaises them and points at the object.

It was so awesome.

jcurrens
12-12-2004, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thefalen:
Did you see the video?

They had a watchman at night who was looking through binocs, he see's something in the distance, puts down his binocs for a second, and then reaises them and points at the object.

It was so awesome. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep! i like that effect

bootysnapper69
12-13-2004, 07:25 AM
In the book Das Boot, which im currently reading, all sorts of protocols are discussed in detail, and in one part he definately talks about how the watch crew spends part of the time with the binoculars, and part with the naked eye, with the naked eye time being VERY IMPORTANT to rest their eyes, because 4 hours of looking thru binoculars without a short rest can make you go blind. I mean, just imagine trying to do it for a long time in a storm, bobbing up and down, lenses fogged and wet, I mean who really could do that for four hours straight? I'm tellin' ya, it looks fake as hell if they dont stop once in a while to rest their eyes.

Dominicrigg
12-13-2004, 07:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Messervy:
That iceberg is just another bad hollywood touch in order to bring some tension in the video, that`s all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

woahhh someone gets it.

Dont you all realise this video is made to show off the engine. No this will never happen in a game because you would see the ships from miles away, but that would not have shown off the close range detail of the iceberg/ships. It would not have shown the amazing graphics as the ship sank.

How much would you be complaining if the demo had been 2 dots on the horison and the sub comander had gone, ok dive now. And they dived before any action??

No battleships wont sink with one shot, no you wont bump into them round corners, and most people wont stay at periscope depth to try to take on a destroyer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
12-13-2004, 08:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Dont you all realise this video is made to show off the engine. No this will never happen in a game because you would see the ships from miles away, but that would not have shown off the close range detail of the iceberg/ships. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of us understand that. Some folks were just pointing it out for the benefit of those who might have got the impression that the game is an arcade game, that's all.