PDA

View Full Version : Situation awareness

blazer-glory
09-19-2005, 03:55 AM
I guess there have been many postings about this but Im having great problem with AA combat. Its not that I cant hit 'em,the problem is I can never see 'em!
I set up a dog fight with a ROOKIE AI fighter and although it never got any hits on me it was ALWAYS out of view. I never had a chance to get any where near him and yet he ALWAYS manage to get in good postions himself,eg behind me.
Is there any tips in order for me to at least keep track of other planes in the sky and have some idea of where they are?

blazer-glory
09-19-2005, 03:55 AM
I guess there have been many postings about this but Im having great problem with AA combat. Its not that I cant hit 'em,the problem is I can never see 'em!
I set up a dog fight with a ROOKIE AI fighter and although it never got any hits on me it was ALWAYS out of view. I never had a chance to get any where near him and yet he ALWAYS manage to get in good postions himself,eg behind me.
Is there any tips in order for me to at least keep track of other planes in the sky and have some idea of where they are?

neural_dream
09-19-2005, 04:37 AM
SA is a matter of experience. Play a lot and your SA will constantly improve. You can accelerate this process by using the hatswitch continuously while you fly. Download NewView to improve its functionality. Also assign a key on your joystick to center your view (i do it with NewView too to avoid button conflicts). This way you won't be reluctant to look around continuously.
Another trick to learn more quickly. In QMB try guessing where your enemy is, press pause and use f2, f3 to look outside and see whether you guessed correctly.

cueceleches
09-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Or, for an even better and more natural SA, get TrackIR 3 pro. It´s a whole new experience.

rnzoli
09-19-2005, 05:47 AM
BearCat offered good advice for this in the Practice Tips For Newcomers thread.

Record a track (.ntrk) and make it downloadable, so that people can actually see what you are doing wrong.

SA gets together from hundreds of pieces, from good vision (like TIR) to scanning your instruments unconciously (e.g., the fuel gauge).

Deedsundone
09-19-2005, 07:02 AM
TrackIr really opens up your computer world.

F19_Ob
09-19-2005, 07:50 AM
How u set up the sticksettings for viewing with the tophat on the stick is very important aswell.

The two most important views are front+up and up view and the most used when tracking enemies while turning after them.
Also the view preferably should be maximally zoomed out = wideview and some planes have an additional outzoom with shift+F1.
The maximumzoomout give widest possible view where u see asmuch of the sky as possible and allows u to find targets easier.
Normal view is simply too limited for tracking and discovering threats efficently.

The smartest view setting for the tophat is not the defaultsetting.
One of the tophat-directions should be assigned to "front+up" view (preferably when pushing tophat forward) and and aditional button beside the stickhandle assigned for the "up" view for the left hand to use simultanously with the hatswitch with the right hand (or the other way around if lefthanded).

This way u dont only can rotate the view all the way around, but pressing the "up" button while u at same time use hatswitch give u the diagonally up-view all the way round.

And for example if u look back to left and simultaniously press "up" button u ofcourse get the "back+ up" view wich also is a very important view. while holding this Back+up-view u can roll your plane upsidedown and see your entire rear sector, both below and above with a quick movement.
--------------------------------

Viewing is extreemly important in a closecombat sim but there is no satisfying explanation of logic viewing from the manufacturers side.
I post this a couple of times per year and hopefully allowing some to enjoy it even more.

So many have flown with only half the view without discovering the combined feature of using the up-button and hatswitch at the same time.

I'm not sure about your problems but if this is it it's fixable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Track ir is very cool- but u can go far with the hatswitch aswell.

jimDG
09-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I fly with the mouse in my left hand - left button for zoom in, click wheel normal FOV, right button for zoom out, mouse movement for looking around. havent figured out yet how to put the throttle on the wheel rotation, though..
But it works really well for looking arround and following pixels, and to scan the sky fast. I scan at max zoom, some pixels (a/c) are visible as a spec at 4km with max zoom, but do not appear at all at zoom-ed out view at that distance.
Im a bit reluctant about the TrackIR stuff - you move your head as if your eyes want to look at something on the side, but your eyes actually move the other way to stay on the screen? brrr..

neural_dream
09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimDG:
havent figured out yet how to put the throttle on the wheel rotation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
you tried under hotas section?

gkll
09-19-2005, 07:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimDG:
havent figured out yet how to put the throttle on the wheel rotation, though..
.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the HOTAS section of the controls. A tip which you may like, if you can enable 'accelerated scrolling' in the windows mouse menu,try it out. This makes it so a quick flick goes from 0 to 100% throttle, if you move the mouse wheek slowly however you get fine increments on the throttle.

Tully__
09-19-2005, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnzoli:
BearCat offered good advice for this in the Practice Tips For Newcomers thread.

Record a track (.ntrk) and make it downloadable, so that people can actually see what you are doing wrong.

SA gets together from hundreds of pieces, from good vision (like TIR) to scanning your instruments unconciously (e.g., the fuel gauge). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition, download and watch tracks made by other players to see how they do it.

jimDG
09-20-2005, 05:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gkll:
havent figured out yet how to put the throttle on the wheel rotation, though..
.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the HOTAS section of the controls. A tip which you may like, if you can enable 'accelerated scrolling' in the windows mouse menu,try it out. This makes it so a quick flick goes from 0 to 100% throttle, if you move the mouse wheek slowly however you get fine increments on the throttle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

worked out nicely, thanks. I also put the joystick slider to be elevator trim now (instead of throttle as it was before).

vanjast
09-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Make a quick mission with just yourself. fly low as possible but always look back, up or somewhere else other than forward. If you can do this without crashing into the ground, you're ok and won't have any more problems with SA.

When you have other planes in the sky, just kick your rudder and look back. Also goto the nearest toyshop and get a 'rubber neck' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Targ
09-20-2005, 10:20 PM
What kind of monitor do you have and how old is it?

horseback
09-20-2005, 11:36 PM
What F19_Ob said. Assign a button to Look Up that you can easily press while using your joystick's hatswitch. It will raise your line of sight 45 degrees, useful when chasing or being chased.

Make maximum use of the Toggle FOV (field of view). Gunsight View is great for IDing or lining up targets, but it sucks for SA, and frankly, 'Normal' View is a bit restricted too. Wide View, which is only about 85 degrees, is best for looking around, and used with the Look Up button, allows you to see everything visible in all directions from the cockpit (except some of your instruments-I used mouse or Look Down for that).

Using Shift + F1, or Toggle Gunsight, changes your point of view slightly, moving your 'head' forward to the gunsight. It is absolutely necessary with German fighters and the P-47 razorback models, and useful for moving your 'head' relative to the cockpit framing in almost every other type of aircraft. It also gives you a better view of some of your instruments. Play with it a bit; you'll see what I mean. I assigned a joystick button to it long ago, and never changed that setting.

About using your mouse to look around. Think about a Trackball that you can easily use with either hand. I've been using a Logitech Marblemouse for some time (but stay away from their sticks-they don't hold up). It's pretty good for everything except playing Minesweeper. Kensington makes some nice trackballs, but they can be a bit pricey.

Once you've become fully addicted to this game, get TrackIR. I resisted it for a couple of years before I broke down, but once I got it, I was hooked. It is far and away the best and most intuitive way to control your view in a flight sim. It just costs a sh!tload for the average casual simmer.

Finally, practice, practice, practice. The ai have perfect SA; they can put themselves behind your canopy frames or under your wing in the blink of an eye and change direction before you can say "Bob's your uncle." And that's just your wingmen...They are predictable, though, and you can learn their tricks.

Just make sure you never give them a straight shot at you.

cheers

horseback

Tully__
09-21-2005, 02:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wide View, which is only about 85 degrees </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
90 degrees, measured vertically on the screen, so a fraction more than 90 in the horizontal.

blazer-glory
09-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys. I guess also being able to predict where they will appear from their flight path etc comes alot from experience which Im sorely lacking! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif