PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about these specs?

Pyrres
09-10-2007, 07:03 AM
So basicly I have been here lurking around sense the original Il2. So hi to all. Having moved out to my own apartment meant I had to leave my old gaming rig behind. But now I´m finaly buying a new rig for my own. What do you think about these specs?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
2Gt DDR2
250Gt SATA HDD
Sapphire Radeon HD 2600XT 256Mt
Windows Xp Home edition
350W Powersupply (with a quarantee that it is enought for this rig, if it is not I´ll get better for free)
And Creative Audigy 2 from my old rig to take care of the sounds.

How is this rig going to run 1946? My budget is 600€ to get the computer, I allready have display and all from the old rig. Is there anything you would change?

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-10-2007, 07:07 AM
For any of today's games and applications (IL2:46 included), you'll be well-served with that setup. It'll probably be a little weak in the video card area, though, for some of the newest and/or next-gen stuff. You might look at the HD2900XT if you want to stay with ATI. They're still reasonably priced and, as I understand it, the newest drivers are offering decent performance improvements placing them ahead of the NV8800GTS 640mb version in many cases.

TB

Pyrres
09-10-2007, 07:16 AM
I know that the video card is the bottleneck in that setup. I allready changed it to that 2600XT from 2400pro, and that is basicly all I can afford. I would like to have Nvidia, but I don´t know anything that is in the pricerange of the 2600XT and capable of outperforming it (98€ in the shop I ordered the computer).

Xiolablu3
09-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Very nice, will serve you for a couple of years, easily, especially if you are intending to upgrade teh gfx card in the future.

Athlon 64's are great value now the core2duos are out and everyone wants one. My brother has a Athlon 64 3700+ and its a great chip, so smooth in games, browsing and everything really. He has it coupled with a 7800GT and 2gb of RAM.

I am soon going to upgrade to an Athlon 64 myself from my Xp2500+. You can pick them up (single core, hardly any games make use of dual core) for around 35 for a 3800+ nowadays.

Zoom2136
09-10-2007, 07:37 AM
I there, just my 2 cents worth

I just build a rig my self, the most important thing we should know is what is your budget.

I would drop the AMD and go with Intel Core Duo... I was an AMD guy myself... but decided to go with Intel. Il2 is very CPU dependant so having more horsepower will help with the FPS.

2 Gigs of RAM is good but if your budget is tight... drop 1 gig and invest more on the CPU. You can always buy another gig down the road... it will be less expensive than buying a new CPU.

HDD - no comment depends on your needs.

Video card... well read this...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/05/the_best_gaming_...the_money/page2.html (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/05/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/page2.html)

Put a little more money toward a X1950Pro... its an older gen card but will beat the c.r.a.p. out of that 2600XT... and BTW the 2600XT wont be powerfull enough to run the latest DX10 games with high FPS... TheX1950Pro will cut through iL2 like a knife.... and all this for about the same price... maybe 10$ more...

I would go with something a bit better... beware of cheap PSU... they can fry other component when they go belly up... Read this for more info:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/reviews.php?catID=1

I would lean toward the Ultra X-Pro 600W.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/reviews.php?catID=1

This PSU is a great product for the price. Ultra have gone a long way. I use to have this one but upgraded to a 1000W X-3 PSU as the 600W did not have enough amps on the 12V rail to power my SLI setup...

On a side not I prefer the ATI cards over the Nvidia... they are much easier to setup... And the is more through of iL2....

What motherboard are you looking into... this will be a major factor in overclocking....

JG6_Oddball
09-10-2007, 07:57 AM
DITTO with what ZOOM said, i must reemphasize about NOT skimping on the PSU, antec,fortran...etc are good choices. Why dont you post your budget and let some of the fine builders here cobble you a unit.

S!

Pyrres
09-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Well the thing is that I know this pc shop keeper, and it does not cost me anything if he builds me this, I just by the parts from he´s shop at nice discounts. I had the psu problems with my last computer, thats why I asked for a quarantee that it is going to be powerfull enought and good qualisty (last time he replaced my gfx and mobo half year after the quaranty had gone becouse he felt it was kind of his falt he had not noticed what psu he´s worker had put me with). And I read the article about the X1950Pro, and was going for it but then noticed that it would not fit the budget.

I ended up ordering me the setup I sead in the first post. I can always upgrade later if needed. But thanks for the help. Just needed to know does that kind of rig do anythint.

The only thing is I don´t know anything about Ati cards and dual core optimisation for Il2. Any tips?

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Pyrres:
...The only thing is I don´t know anything about Ati cards and dual core optimisation for Il2. Any tips?

A. Make sure you use the latest CAT drivers

B. Disregard dual-sore optimization for IL2.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I would upgrade the graphics card and power supply. Although is should play this sim fine.

S!

Pyrres
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Too late, allready ordered the thing. Should be ready to go on thursday.

Xiolablu3
09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Mmmm, just begun my current upgrade from a Athlon 2500+, MSI K7NF2, X800 Pro, 1.25Gb of PC3200 RAM, Soundblaster Live!

Just picked up a wicked SOcket 939 Athlon 64 motherboard for 29.99 (!). Its an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe PCI-E.

Next I will pick up an Athlon 64 3700+ or 4000+ for around 35.

I can use my current PC3200 RAM. (One of the reasons why I went Athlon 64 this upgrade)

And finally a decent PCI-E Gfx card, best I can get for around 50-60, probably a 7600GT, or an ATI equivelent.

Then I will have basically doubled my computing power for just over 100.

Never let anyone tell you that you cannot afford a great gaming PC. And dont get conned into buying the latest and greatest, either. For example, now everyone wants the Core2Duo, Athlon 64's are amazing value for money, yet still are easily powerful enough for todays (and tomorrows) games when coupled with a good gfx card.

If you only have around a 1.5ghz pentium or AMD equivelent, then there really is no excuse not to upgrade. Athlon 64 3200+ chips are going for around 20 on ebay now. A budget socket 939 motherboard will be around 20. (mine was a bit more cos I wanted a high end board)

Pyrres
09-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Good point there. The old rig that I had had same motherboard you bought and Athlon 3800+ and 7600GS Nvidia. I could run quite good graphics, only bottleneck was that it did not have a decent soundcard and had only 1gig of ram, so I had some stutters here and there when going over big citys and such. And when I bought the rig it was something like 1000€, and now you can get it with that kind of price.

Xiolablu3
09-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi Pyrres!

What did you think of the Asus A8N Deluxe?

Have I made a good choice with that board for my Socket 939 Athlon 64?

To be honest, the only real reason I am upgrading is because a few Pixel Shader 3.0 games are coming out, Bioshock (there is a Shader model 2.0 patch) and MOH Airborne. My currecnt BArton 2500+ and X800 Pro are still fast enough to run all my games. It even runs Bioshock on full settings 1024x768 with the home made PS2 patch!.

mortoma
09-11-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't know about your specs but my prescription needs renewed. My next pair of specs will have to include the lineless bifocals too.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Hi Pyrres!

What did you think of the Asus A8N Deluxe?

Have I made a good choice with that board for my Socket 939 Athlon 64?

To be honest, the only real reason I am upgrading is because a few Pixel Shader 3.0 games are coming out, Bioshock (there is a Shader model 2.0 patch) and MOH Airborne. My currecnt BArton 2500+ and X800 Pro are still fast enough to run all my games. It even runs Bioshock on full settings 1024x768 with the home made PS2 patch!.

I own an Asus but with Intel chipset. You got yourself an excellent mobo there. If you have owned other brands its easy to appreciate Asus quality and support.

S!

Pyrres
09-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Well, I did not even know that it was any good, because I got it for free as a replacement for my old mobo that fried with my old 6600gt thanks to that underpowered and cheap psu http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif.

Xiolablu3
09-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys, it looks like I have managed to pick up a top of the range socket 939 motherboard for a bargain price http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This review gets very excited about it!

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAz

Now I just need a good Athlon 64 such as a 3800+ or 4000+ and a PCI-E gfx card and I have made a sweet upgrade. All my other parts will carry over. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Xiolablu3
09-12-2007, 09:01 AM
By the way, if anyone wants one of these boards at 29.99, there are 6 left and they are selling fast. They are retail boards with all the leads/discs etc.

PM me if you want the link. Seller is located in the UK.