PDA

View Full Version : Volume of Chief Engineer



Osakajoe
10-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi

Just reinstalled SH3 on a new pc as my last one blew up on me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

I was wanting to ask about the replies from the Officer who responds to Speed'Course and Depth adjustments.

In the F12 screen if he replies i get full volume.
But say at the Attack Scope he's much lower.
And sometimes i get no replies at all although the wording appears at the bottom.

I can't remember it being like this.
So what causes the volume difference and also why is there no audible reply at all?

Thanx

Kaleun1961
10-22-2005, 05:55 PM
It may depend on your physical location in the boat. If you are in the command room, he is right near you; if you are at the scope, you are up above the command room and therefore farther away from him. On the bridge is even farther away. If you travel to the radio room, he is in the next compartment.

If you are in time compression that will also cause text only replies.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
10-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Are you wearing headphones?

If so, is your sound card adjusted for 4.1/5.1/6.1 speakers?

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy ZS that's adjustable for speaker settings. Sometimes when I use my headphones (beacause the family has gone to bed) I forget to set my speaker settings back to headphones from my 5.1 speaker settings.

This causes a "distant" effect when the CE, NA, WO or anybody else who's communicating with me to sound like they're talking with their hand over their mouth.

Kaleun1961
10-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Bryan, how do you like that Audigy card? I'm in the market for a sound card. My new system has onboard 7.1 sound, which is very good through my Logitech 6-speaker setup. The reason I am looking to upgrade is because having no dedicated sound processor is slowing down the frame rates sometimes, as when I sink a ship. Any recommendations?

AO1_AW_SW_USN
10-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
Bryan, how do you like that Audigy card? I'm in the market for a sound card. My new system has onboard 7.1 sound, which is very good through my Logitech 6-speaker setup. The reason I am looking to upgrade is because having no dedicated sound processor is slowing down the frame rates sometimes, as when I sink a ship. Any recommendations?

What is the manufacturer of the motherboard that you have?

Most motherboards that are within two years age mostly have onboard audio that is sufficient. I decided to purchase the Audigy2 ZS because I liked the EAX 3 features on it. It provides crisp and clear audio with outstanding surround sound. 24-bit systems rock when you want to complete the entire gaming PC package of raw horsepower, visual eye-candy, and gaming peripherals such as the Belkin Nostromo N52 speedpad.

God, I sound like a commerical !!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Osakajoe
10-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I have an Audigy LS.
I am using headphones'but have my sound settings set for stereo headphones.
Makes no difference.
Only time i am getting full volume responses is in the control room or external cam view.
It would make sense that the locations in the boat affect how loud you hear the Crewmembers'it's just i can't remember it being like that.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
10-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Osakajoe:
I have an Audigy LS.
I am using headphones'but have my sound settings set for stereo headphones.
Makes no difference.
Only time i am getting full volume responses is in the control room or external cam view.
It would make sense that the locations in the boat affect how loud you hear the Crewmembers'it's just i can't remember it being like that.

Not attempting to insult your intelligence but, are your sound card drivers up-to-date?

Osakajoe
10-22-2005, 06:29 PM
No insult taken. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Sensible question.
Actually downloaded and installed latest drivers today.
Actually think that may be the problem as i never got this with the old driver.
The LS cards a pain in the rear compared to the ZS as it's a cheaper nastier version.
Anyway i have solved the issue just now by going to DXDIAG and changing sound acceleration to basic.
I am getting equal volume from all stations now.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
10-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Osakajoe:
No insult taken. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Sensible question.
Actually downloaded and installed latest drivers today.
Actually think that may be the problem as i never got this with the old driver.
The LS cards a pain in the rear compared to the ZS as it's a cheaper nastier version.
Anyway i have solved the issue just now by going to DXDIAG and changing sound acceleration to basic.
I am getting equal volume from all stations now.


That's when you said out loud "Eureka! I've found it".

Kaleun1961
10-22-2005, 06:42 PM
I've got a fairly recent Asus board in a new system, which really rocks. Music sounds great, as do the game sounds, well separated to the six speakers. I was just wondering if it would be worth investing in a sound card.