PDA

View Full Version : Movint IL2 to a new drive

binky9
03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
My C drive was getting full, so I installed another drive. I then moved the entire IL2 folder to this new drive. I now have IL2 in E:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. But, I can't get it to load, now. All that happens is the first screen comes up, stays there for a few seconds, and then closes.

What have I done wrong?

binky9

Derozero
03-19-2011, 12:44 PM
You can't move game/program folders to a new drive by just copy/paste. You'll have to reinstall the game to the E drive.

M2morris
03-19-2011, 01:13 PM
You should delete the IL2 folder you moved to your new hard drive because it didn't work and is taking up space. Then right click on the IL2 1946 on your C drive and then choose 'send to' and send it to the new E drive.
It should take a couple of minutes to copy over. Then find the IL2FB EXE file in your new E drive copy of IL2 and put that as your desktop icon.

Edit:
Oops. If there is no longer an IL2 folder in your C drive because you moved it then you might want to move it back instead of deleting it. Sry.

Extreme_One
03-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Derozero:
You can't move game/program folders to a new drive by just copy/paste. You'll have to reinstall the game to the E drive.

I have moved from C: to F: previously with no problem.

In fact my current install hasn't been installed at all since I installed Windows 7 it's just copied and pasted across.

@ OP I'm not sure what your issue could be.

Perhaps you can look for any registry entries pertaining to IL2 and change them to reference the new path.

steve_v
03-19-2011, 02:08 PM
As Extreme stated, moving the game folder by copy/paste works every time. The 46 sim itself makes no registry entries, but DRM Securom will. However, that shouldn't prevent the sim from launching.

Did you create a new desktop shortcut and have you tried launching from the il2 directory?

binky9
03-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I tried launching from the il2 directory, but could have made a mess of that. How should I do it?

also, how would I create a new desktop shortcut?

binky9

M2morris
03-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by binky9:
I tried launching from the il2 directory, but could have made a mess of that. How should I do it?

also, how would I create a new desktop shortcut?

binky9
I hope I can remember this correctly.
From 'Start' go to:
Computer,
double click on C Drive,
double click program files,
double click Ubisoft,
double click IL2 1946,
find on the list the IL2 1946 little icon with a screenshot of a plane, that is the EXE application.
right click that and choose 'send to' and send it to the desk top.