PDA

View Full Version : runners

an-assassin
11-06-2010, 10:31 AM
What are everyones problems with runners? If others run two things can happen.

1. Its your hunter: Then you will descover he is there and have a chance to escape.

2. Its your target: Then the person will stand out and you will be able to kill him fast.

so what is your problem? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

jimbo11235813
11-06-2010, 11:11 AM
If its my hunter, I agree with you, but if its my pursuer, then it requires you to chase them. That's the problem. You lose points because your pursuer is simply always running and you HAVE to chase them to kill them.

bmic31
11-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't care that people are runners, I care that they're playing a stealth-assassination game as a high-profile attention grabbing action game.

Imagine someone crawling in prone in MW2 or MAG. Just crawling on the ground all game to get kills. It's stupid right? They're fast-paced, reflex testing first-person shooters. They're made to be on the move, running-and-gunning, keep up if you can race to get most kills games.

In my opinion, that is not Assassin's Creed. In any terms. The game is about stealth. It's about secrecy. It's about stalking your prey intelligently and making a cool, collected kill.

I don't like to tell people how to play a game. They paid good money for the game, they can do whatever they enjoy most. I'm just glad the game rewards those that do choose to kill stealthily a lot more than they reward those that wish to run in high-profile most of the time.

I don't like runners. In fact, I hate them. But I'm not going to tell them how to play the game. When I'm on top of the leaderboard with 5 kills and they're in 4th or 5th with 9-10 kills, I'll be satisfied =)

jimbo11235813
11-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by bmic31:Imagine someone crawling in prone in MW2 or MAG. Just crawling on the ground all game to get kills. It's stupid right? They're fast-paced, reflex testing first-person shooters. They're made to be on the move, running-and-gunning, keep up if you can race to get most kills games. lol. I actually did this kind of thing in COD: World at World. I thought I'd try and be sneaky and hid within a bush so I could just peek out of the bush without standing out too much to get seen. I just sniped people coming over the hill. I got 10-15 (can't remember exactly) and didn't get killed once (almost did when an enemy tank came within a few feet of me.)

bmic31
11-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by jimbo_323:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bmic31:Imagine someone crawling in prone in MW2 or MAG. Just crawling on the ground all game to get kills. It's stupid right? They're fast-paced, reflex testing first-person shooters. They're made to be on the move, running-and-gunning, keep up if you can race to get most kills games. lol. I actually did this kind of thing in COD: World at World. I thought I'd try and be sneaky and hid within a bush so I could just peek out of the bush without standing out too much to get seen. I just sniped people coming over the hill. I got 10-15 (can't remember exactly) and didn't get killed once (almost did when an enemy tank came within a few feet of me.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sniping from a prone/hidden position is a viable strategy in shooter games, and that is the exception to my example for sure lol.

And, it is fun finding that little hiding spot, I'll hand that to you. I just didn't bring up the sniping part in my post, ty.

salted onions
11-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by bmic31:
I don't care that people are runners, I care that they're playing a stealth-assassination game as a high-profile attention grabbing action game.

Imagine someone crawling in prone in MW2 or MAG. Just crawling on the ground all game to get kills. It's stupid right? They're fast-paced, reflex testing first-person shooters. They're made to be on the move, running-and-gunning, keep up if you can race to get most kills games.

In my opinion, that is not Assassin's Creed. In any terms. The game is about stealth. It's about secrecy. It's about stalking your prey intelligently and making a cool, collected kill.

I don't like to tell people how to play a game. They paid good money for the game, they can do whatever they enjoy most. I'm just glad the game rewards those that do choose to kill stealthily a lot more than they reward those that wish to run in high-profile most of the time.

I don't like runners. In fact, I hate them. But I'm not going to tell them how to play the game. When I'm on top of the leaderboard with 5 kills and they're in 4th or 5th with 9-10 kills, I'll be satisfied =)

I agree with you, but the option to play like that is in the game whether we like it or not sadly. It's not like they don't get penalized for it, seeing as they get so little points for 10 kills where as the stealthy people will win first place with 3 kills.

NuclearFuss
11-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Some people just don't have the patience to play stealthily http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

glenneey
11-06-2010, 03:24 PM
yeah , too bad runners screw this game up , they should make a *you can only run when your hunter has been spotted by you* option in game wait list

bmic31
11-06-2010, 03:28 PM
The more restrictions you put on it, the less people will like it. The direction games are going is More Freedom = Better Game. Want a good example? Little Big Planet. Sandbox games are getting bigger. Remember the old spider-man games were sooo much fun? Even with the repetitive side missions, it was enjoyable because it was open and you felt free to do whatever you want. The more they add to that, the better it's received by the audience, and the better it sells.

Bottom line, more restrictions = more frustrations = less sales. I understand them allowing it. It frustrates me yes, being the stealthy patient player, but I completely understand where it's coming from.

steelernati0n
11-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by glenneey:
yeah , too bad runners screw this game up , they should make a *you can only run when your hunter has been spotted by you* option in game wait list

They would eliminate the runners, but it would completely screw up the game.

and btw i'm pretty sure they made it to where chases start faster, so runners will have to be pretty fast to get to you

MegaMike8
11-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't care about runners because i'll just make use of morph too trick my predators and go another route for my prey. Maybe a perk for those types of players will appear in the game

obliviondoll
11-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Seriously, you HAVE to run to catch a runner? Play follow best. I caught runners that way all the time in the beta.

Track where they're going, put yourself there before they show up. You follow best from in front http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RandomRansom
11-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Seriously, you HAVE to run to catch a runner? Play follow best. I caught runners that way all the time in the beta.

Track where they're going, put yourself there before they show up. You follow best from in front http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I agree, but sometimes it's REALLY hard to get in front of them. And not to mention the new "whispers" feature that they're adding for the full game. Now they just have to wait to hear the whispers that tell them you're near and start running the other way...

I think running should be in the game for freedom purposes. Some maps will encourage you to run a bit before becoming stealthy... some encourage you to be stealthy the whole time. I just hope they penalize those who... let's call it abuse or over-use the run function.

Those who basically tape down the high profile button should be spotted sooner (which doesn't seem too hard to do programming-wise). The closer you are to your contract, the faster your meter decreases while in high profile (e.g. more than one second of high profile while near and within line of sight of contract gets you noticed).

I just hope the changes to the game from Beta don't balance the game farther in favor of runners. I don't mind runners TOO much, but if they suddenly become even more... outside of a stealth-action game, then I might.

Serenity9066
11-06-2010, 06:54 PM
So I take it runners are hard to win against..? If you can beat them more power to you. That's part of any game. Someone is always going to abuse something. That just gives you more motivation to whip their ***.

steelernati0n
11-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by RandomRansom:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

Edit: this was supposed to quote randomransom's quote, don't know what happened

"I agree, but sometimes it's REALLY hard to get in front of them. And not to mention the new "whispers" feature that they're adding for the full game. Now they just have to wait to hear the whispers that tell them you're near and start running the other way...'

I don't think many people understand the whispering.

The crowd doesn't start whispering when you're near, when you come within a certain range of your target they can hear you talking in your mic. They just added this as a way to taunt your target as you kill them, If you don't want to be given away just mute your mic.

I agree, but sometimes it's REALLY hard to get in front of them. And not to mention the new "whispers" feature that they're adding for the full game. Now they just have to wait to hear the whispers that tell them you're near and start running the other way...

I think running should be in the game for freedom purposes. Some maps will encourage you to run a bit before becoming stealthy... some encourage you to be stealthy the whole time. I just hope they penalize those who... let's call it abuse or over-use the run function.

Those who basically tape down the high profile button should be spotted sooner (which doesn't seem too hard to do programming-wise). The closer you are to your contract, the faster your meter decreases while in high profile (e.g. more than one second of high profile while near and within line of sight of contract gets you noticed).

I just hope the changes to the game from Beta don't balance the game farther in favor of runners. I don't mind runners TOO much, but if they suddenly become even more... outside of a stealth-action game, then I might. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RandomRansom
11-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by steelernati0n:

Edit: this was supposed to quote randomransom's quote, don't know what happened

"I agree, but sometimes it's REALLY hard to get in front of them. And not to mention the new "whispers" feature that they're adding for the full game. Now they just have to wait to hear the whispers that tell them you're near and start running the other way...'

I don't think many people understand the whispering.

The crowd doesn't start whispering when you're near, when you come within a certain range of your target they can hear you talking in your mic. They just added this as a way to taunt your target as you kill them, If you don't want to be given away just mute your mic.

OK. If that's how they do it, then it could be cool. I hope, if this is true, that they only mute your assassin until they're close. I wouldn't want to lose the chat function all together (i.e. everyone muted except your assassin when they're close), but I bet they already thought of that.