PDA

View Full Version : hostage realism

GSG_9_Rage
03-09-2006, 06:24 AM
i think that there should be more realism with hostages. when you find them, you should first restrain them. the hostage will be in shock, or in emotional distress. they will be scared and confused. they may be uncooperative because of it, even if you are the rescuer. they may also be affected by any flashbangs or tear gas you may use or be in shock from the breaching charge. they may be injured or unconscious. i think all of those should be taken in consideration. it would add so much more than just walking up to a hostage and saying "follow me." any thoughts?

dave819831983
03-09-2006, 06:34 AM
Agreed.

Maybe if the hossy is unconcious when you find them one of your team would have to carry them out.

Add a punch function (as i believe the regiment has).

DreamMarine
03-09-2006, 06:38 AM
And in some maps there have to be much more hostages. for example, in an airplane, theater, etc.

So you have to be even more careful who to shoot at! And it would contribute well to the atmosphere of the situation!

I just hope, that would not drop the performance of my computer significantly! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

chilly-willy
03-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Restraining hostages is a great idea. I'd also like to see a little more control on their movement as in when I say stay put they stay put exactly where I told them to stay.

RAZE_672
03-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by GSG_9_Rage:
i think that there should be more realism with hostages. when you find them, you should first restrain them. the hostage will be in shock, or in emotional distress. they will be scared and confused. they may be uncooperative because of it, even if you are the rescuer. they may also be affected by any flashbangs or tear gas you may use or be in shock from the breaching charge. they may be injured or unconscious. i think all of those should be taken in consideration. it would add so much more than just walking up to a hostage and saying "follow me." any thoughts?

The foregoing is definitely something that should be considered and worked out for future missions in R6 5. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I don't know if this has actually occurred but I've seen hostages depicted in movies attacking their rescuers as soon as they were unbound as a result of being "brainwashed" by their captors. Maybe this reaction by the hostages could be programed to occur at randomly determined times, giving missions the same sort or unpredictable suspense as TR's oppossum playing tangos.

Goliath.Ubi.Dev
03-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't dare say never, but i strongly doubt we will ever have hostages that attack Rainbow when they are being rescued. We aren't trying to make a life behavior simulator for SWAT teams herehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DayGlow
03-09-2006, 09:01 AM
In most situations the hostages wouldn't even be led out of the area they are found until it was made safe. I always secured the hostages, pretended a trailing team had come in to hold the room (or left a team there) and then cleared the level, winning by taking out all the tangos.

GSG_9_Rage
03-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Goliath.Ubi.Dev:
I wouldn't dare say never, but i strongly doubt we will ever have hostages that attack Rainbow when they are being rescued. We aren't trying to make a life behavior simulator for SWAT teams herehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif \

what if it was a terrorist in disguise? if you take a chance and don't restrain the hostage, and he is a terrorist, we cound whip out a gun and take out some teammembers. that would add some...cool element in the game, for lack of better wording.

kimi_
03-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Did you see the recent SWAT 4 screenshot where the pregnant lady is restrained?

Ooooor let's say theoretically that the hostage situation is a husband and wife and the Rainbow team has to make a 24/Jack Bauer decision to let the husband get killed for the greater good of saving thousands of people. Shouldn't the wife be restrained so she doesn't pull some crazy move after the husband gets killed? Like that Russian prostitute early in Season 5?

SODsniper
03-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by kimi_:
Like that Russian prostitute early in Season 5?

You saw that!? That was just sheer stupidity. How could they NOT have a guard on that girl..

Like when Jack was at the desk and there was a call from the infirmary saying that Tony wanted to talk to Jack.

Hello???

Tony was all blowed up long before Jack entered the picture. How could Tony know that Jack was at CTU?

While I understand the cinemagraphic need to move a story along, those were some really bonehead moves by people who should know better.

This is probably better for the OFF TOPIC forum, but I couldn't resist...

In answer to your post, in TNT we were trained to treat anyone unarmed as a hostile and restrain them as such without resorting to Deadly Force. There is time to sort out who is who after all the shooting stops.

kimi_
03-09-2006, 01:07 PM
cuff now, ask questions later. cuff the president!

Ummm I don't think I saw the Tony part. If that was last week, not the most recent 2 hour one, I missed that 'cause I was on a plane. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

SODsniper
03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by kimi_:
cuff now, ask questions later. cuff the president!

Ummm I don't think I saw the Tony part. If that was last week, not the most recent 2 hour one, I missed that 'cause I was on a plane. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Naaw, it was one of the earlier ones. When the assassin sneaked into CTU because of Chloe's main squeeze. He lured Jack into the infirmary to kill him, but forgot that a computer monitor is reflective.. (DOH!!) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Gillyy
05-12-2006, 07:02 AM
I like maps with hostages but in 'Raven Shield' but if there is somewere crossfire the hostage run in panic to the terrorists. That realy sucks so they have to be smart.

capteenix
05-12-2006, 07:54 AM
I've played most games with Rescueing Hostage, they stay calm and Stupid. they only move and get killed, not good.

Also i;ve seen some stupid situations!
Liek misison to take terrorists form the Boeing 747 and you know what? there are NO hostages at all! WT...F? Terrorists take empty PLane "or we kill them" And we send the team? "go go go"
now thats lame....Send the freaky SCUD on that plane LOL

JulietHotel13
05-13-2006, 08:05 PM
what is it called when hostages attack their rescuers or something? stockholm syndrome or something isnt it?

green_ant
05-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by JulietHotel13:
what is it called when hostages attack their rescuers or something? stockholm syndrome or something isnt it?

Not sure what it's called but according to dictionary.com, stockholm syndrome is:

A phenomenon in which a hostage begins to identify with and grow sympathetic to his or her captor.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stockholm+syndrome&db=*

JulietHotel13
05-14-2006, 02:00 AM
so basically that means a hostage can be sympathetic to their captors and turn on the rescuers right?

Woosy
05-14-2006, 08:47 AM
In the 1980 embassy siege, some of the hostages got to know one of their captors and didn't want him to die. So when he hid with the hostages when the SAS stormed the room shouting where is the terrorists? They never pointed to him but another guy who was nasty to them. And he was shot and killed. That 1 terrorist made it out was cuffed and identified later on.

Putting hostages in the game that look like terrorists has happened in "The Regiment" some of the hostages had a gun taped to their arm by the hostage takers, so it makes them look like terrorists. It's a split second decision, if you notice the tape you aim for the weapon and shoot it out of their hand or just smack them in the mouth and cuff them. Not had one shoot at me though, not givern them a chance to.

RAZE_672
05-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by JulietHotel13:

I believe it's known as the Catch-22 syndrome: a dystopic state of affairs in which your liberators are worse than your captors. For example, it's like the East Germans being rescued from nazi tryanny by the communist russians at the end of WWII.

... or like being held captive for eight years by republicans only to be saved by the .... Democrats.