PDA

View Full Version : MSFF Sidewinder 2 models

codeseven7
01-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm looking for a Sidewinder 2 and have noticed that there apparently have been several models. I've read there are models with a silver trigger, red trigger, silver base, rubber grip or red buttons. Is there a 'best' model?

codeseven7
01-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm looking for a Sidewinder 2 and have noticed that there apparently have been several models. I've read there are models with a silver trigger, red trigger, silver base, rubber grip or red buttons. Is there a 'best' model?

Cold_Gambler
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I bought my "red" trigger MSFFB2 when Staples was clearing out after MS stated they were quitting the market, so that should be the latest model.
That said, the previous one (it's in a box here-
can't be arsed to dig it out, sorry) worked exactly the same as this one (in other words, perfectly) for over a year and a half (still works perfectly). They look identical except for the trigger/light colour and the fact that the red one has the grippy "rubber"-so I'm pretty sure they're 100% the same mechanically.

There may be different models prior to the two I have, but I suspect the differences are only aesthetic.

Mackane1
01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Best stick you'll ever own.

papotex
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
mine is the one before the red buttons...works unlike anithing else you can wrap your hand on.

this one is 5 years old and it works like the day i purchased it. one day i realised how precious of a joystick i had, so i bought another cheaper one to play other games. the MSFF2 i leave for the serious flight sims

Chivas
01-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Its too bad they quit making them. I have a few broken ones I've peiced together to keep one running. Its the best stick for dogfighting I've ever owned and Ive had the Cougar,x52,Saitek, and logitech. It has a short throw which is very effective during fighter combat. The other sticks I've owned had a much larger throw which delayed the kill shot long enough for you to get in trouble with their wingman.

madsarmy
01-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Has to be the best stick I've ever owned.
I was so impressed I ended up buying a spare.

I got both of mine from eBay but you will most likley have to pay a good price.

1st one was 45/$75 (bargin)
2nd one was 70/$123 (about the going rate)

codeseven7
01-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I replaced my Logitech Strike Force 3D ( it 'uncharactoristically' worked very well for several years) with a CH Fighterstick and Pro Pedals. The CH stick is really excellent but, I miss having FF! I did not know how much 'realism' is lost without it. Now I'm looking for the 'best' FF stick I can find and repeatedly the Sidewinder is mentioned. Looks like e-bay is my best bet for getting one, I just didn't realize there were several models of the same stick.

horseback
01-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Well codeseven7, the best thing you can do is to join us in our petition to CH to make a new FF stick -- flight simulator controls are a major part of their business, while Microsoft had a few other irons in the fire, as I recall (what really torques me off is that they didn't sell or license the FF or Precision 2 designs to anybody, the inconsiderate ^%#&&^%*%s).

I'd kill to have a CombatStick with Force Feedback...

cheers

horseback

codeseven7
01-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Horseback, is there a formal petition around or a link you can post so I can join in on the petition? I live about 15 minutes from the CH factory. I went in a few months ago and asked about the availability of FF and they said they used to have a FF stick but will not produce one again because it cuts their legendary stick life in half. So they have experience building FF sticks, maybe the tooling to do so is still around they just need to see that there is a demand for them again. Until then, I assume the Sidewinder via e-bay is the best that can be done if someone wants a FF stick.

Pig_Mac
01-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I never liked the feel of the CH thingies. The only FF stick I've ever tried and liked are the MS ones. If Thrustmaster on the other hand made a metal FFB stick I'd petition my socks off.

The cougars are really godly in Falcon4:AF, but don't stand a chance when compared to MSFFB2 (or 1 for that matter), when playing combat prop. sims.

I never knew there was a MSFFB with rubber grip, it sounds really nice, until you think of the sweaty-palmed traitor selling it second hand.

I rather petition MS to restart production, but i guess someone sued them for having too powerful forcefeedback and therefore strained some orifice. So that is out of the question.

codeseven7
01-14-2006, 01:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xallo_72:
I rather petition MS to restart production, but i guess someone sued them for having too powerful forcefeedback and therefore strained some orifice. So that is out of the question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, my, God, dont even tell me that another emotional cripple and his/her pencil neck lawyer won another lawsuit and therefore screwed over the rest of us!

horseback
01-14-2006, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codeseven7:
Hi Horseback, is there a formal petition around or a link you can post so I can join in on the petition? I live about 15 minutes from the CH factory. I went in a few months ago and asked about the availability of FF and they said they used to have a FF stick but will not produce one again because it cuts their legendary stick life in half. So they have experience building FF sticks, maybe the tooling to do so is still around they just need to see that there is a demand for them again. Until then, I assume the Sidewinder via e-bay is the best that can be done if someone wants a FF stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm about 20 minutes from them myself (well, at least on Sundays) -I live in the South Bay area of San Diego. I just call or send an occasional email, nothing formal, although I'm not above sacrificing the odd chicken or kidnapping the owner's dog if I think it'll help...

Are you getting any rain up there? At this rate, all I'm getting is a spotty windshield.

cheers

horseback

Ballistic4N6
01-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I have has a MSFF1 and now a MMFF2. I would like to know if anyone has an idea for routine maintainance for it? It works fine, but is there a cleaning regime I should follow. It seems have tight seams, but I'm sure after 3 years, its dusty inside.

Any ideas?

codeseven7
01-14-2006, 10:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codeseven7:
Hi Horseback, is there a formal petition around or a link you can post so I can join in on the petition? I live about 15 minutes from the CH factory. I went in a few months ago and asked about the availability of FF and they said they used to have a FF stick but will not produce one again because it cuts their legendary stick life in half. So they have experience building FF sticks, maybe the tooling to do so is still around they just need to see that there is a demand for them again. Until then, I assume the Sidewinder via e-bay is the best that can be done if someone wants a FF stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm about 20 minutes from them myself (well, at least on Sundays) -I live in the South Bay area of San Diego. I just call or send an occasional email, nothing formal, although I'm not above sacrificing the odd chicken or kidnapping the owner's dog if I think it'll help...

Are you getting any rain up there? At this rate, all I'm getting is a spotty windshield.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, a few showers but thats about it. I should drop in and ask'em again just to bug'em a little.

chlywly
01-15-2006, 08:28 AM
I have owned the red trigger sidewinder 2 for a few years now. It has never had any problems with the exception of some bugs in the old driver software it comes with (ms sux for updates). The stick is ROCK solid though, its been on the self for a while and I just plugged it up again, works like brand new.

Twist rudder 100% and all forces work VERY well, as always... This thing keeps on rocking.

RegRag1977
01-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I can remember the happy days, when i used to go fighting with my Sidewinder Precision 2.

How many kills i had with that one, i cannot remember! It was THE best joystick i ever had! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

So painful it was, when it died! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

It was too difficult to replace it: with a Saitek now, i'm still frustrated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ,
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif even though i'm an ace again,baby! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I share your pain too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif