PDA

View Full Version : My Sidewinder

M2morris
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
I have had s Sidewinder P2 for about ten years now and it was starting to get alot of slop in it so I took it apart and lubed up all the plastic on plastic ball joint and u joint areas and tightened things back up. Now it is like a brand-new stick! Un believable. No slop at all that I can notice. Nice and solid.
Now it feels like a whole new control stick and it is a joy to fly.
But the problem is; I went out into the garage and got a blob of grease from a grease gun! Yes. I used automotive grease.
So it works good right now, but I suspect the grease will start to chemically brake-down the plastic after a while. So then it will be 'taps' for my Sidewinder for sure. Oh well. It lasted ten years. I'll see how long she lasts now. Do you guys think the auto grease will destroy the plastic?

M_Gunz
08-16-2010, 09:16 PM
First of all, GOOD JOB! You saved what you might have tossed in the bin.

I dunno why the grease should break the plastic down and sure hope it doesn't. What will happen over time is that dust caught in the grease will act as grit which will wear the bearing surfaces. No biggie, it's not like you use the stick outside but any woman can tell you how dust settles inside. If you ever open the thing back up for cleaning (a tough job getting all the grease off plastic, some solvents will eat the plastic yer know) then you might try dry graphite lube next time, it doesn't catch dirt so badly as grease.

M2morris
08-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks M_Guns. I think I will just go ahead and use it as-is until its death.
I won't be using any solvent on it. Then maybe I'll buy another one used on amazon or something and use that graphite grease on it if I can find some. It'll be intersting to see how long this one lasts. Its amazing how long it has held up.

jameson2010
08-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Try and find some zinc grease, it's used for lubricating nylon gears, it's white stuff. Dries out after a few years... Probably what was used originally if my FFB2 is anything to go by.

M_Gunz
08-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Graphite lube is not grease Morris. It's a dry lube, blackish powder. Anything 'wet' is a dust magnet.

In time the pots will need replacing or cleaning, they also get dust but your place seems relatively dust free. Tuner spray will clean the pots BTW.

You can clean grease from plastic with dish soap, it just takes a lot of effort sometimes. Ever clean a plastic spatula? Some of them resist parting with the grease, but I use the orange soap on em and extra elbow.

WTE_Galway
08-17-2010, 06:57 PM
The main issues I have come across over the years with electronic equipment are:

- methylated spirits perishes rubber, do not clean things like printer rollers with metho

- some spray on cleaners (WD40 for example) leave a residue that attracts dirt. Only use "non residue" contact cleaners on pots, switches and keyboards

M2morris
08-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Advice taken but I won't be cleaning the grease out of my sidewinder. I'll buy another used but in good shape SW P2 and find some white zink-grease as noted and I will service it up. My SW P2 presently in service will probably last a real-long time, so no doubt I will be a senior-senior citizen by the time these sticks are done for. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here who takes apart their control stick for a look inside. It was worth it.

Swivet
08-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by M2morris:
I have had s Sidewinder P2 for about ten years now and it was starting to get alot of slop in it so I took it apart and lubed up all the plastic on plastic ball joint and u joint areas and tightened things back up. Now it is like a brand-new stick! Un believable. No slop at all that I can notice. Nice and solid.
Now it feels like a whole new control stick and it is a joy to fly.
But the problem is; I went out into the garage and got a blob of grease from a grease gun! Yes. I used automotive grease.
So it works good right now, but I suspect the grease will start to chemically brake-down the plastic after a while. So then it will be 'taps' for my Sidewinder for sure. Oh well. It lasted ten years. I'll see how long she lasts now. Do you guys think the auto grease will destroy the plastic?

I bought 3 of these sticks on ebay for no more than $10-20 a pop, never had to clean or grease them and they work like a charm. Graphite powder would be fine if the stick is that clogged up. Or spray a lil WD40 in there.

Messaschnitzel
08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
For plastic, nylon, or composite/laminated micarta gears, hinges, swivels, etc, I have always mixed silicon grease with graphite powder to lubricate them. For rubber items such as seals or gaskets, I use the silicon grease. As far as the different types of greases and oils destroying rubber seals is concerned, they probably all are a factor in the eventual degradation. Another thing to consider is the quality of the rubber used is a big factor in how long it retains its effectiveness over a long period of time, and the environment in which it is kept. With the possibility of dust and grit getting into the system, I don't think that is a problem to worry too much about because at least on the joysticks I have, they are sealed up tight with a rubber boot protecting the vulnerable area between the stick and base. Of the couple times I have opened them up, I don't recall seeing or feeling any noticeable dust in the parts or casing.

I still have the Sidewinder FFB Pro that I quit using when the software wouldn't work anymore with XP, and replaced it with an Afterburner FFB. I'd still be using the Sidewinder today if it wasn't for the lack of MS software suppport for it, because that is one sturdy stick, and was easier to use. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Daiichidoku
08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
i had a PP2 in 2000, main trigger went in 05, became my backup as i got a used PP1, still going strong, but a little loose...so i found a factory fresh sealed box 2nd edition FBB2 this spring, on ebay, after looking at g940/x65

love it, and should last til we get neural interface controls, i hope :P

wonder if the stuff M$ uses for lubrication during assembly can be had commercially?

Jumoschwanz
08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I am pretty sure the factory used silicon grease, it does not attack the plastic. I am sure eventually the auto grease will screw up the stick, I would take it apart and clean it out, it would be worth it as those a great sticks.

WTE_Galway
08-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
I am pretty sure the factory used silicon grease, it does not attack the plastic. I am sure eventually the auto grease will screw up the stick, I would take it apart and clean it out, it would be worth it as those a great sticks.

Silicone Grease has applications everywhere.

Its even the lubricant on Condoms http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TSmoke
08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
You could just run to the nearest auto supply store and buy a tube of dielectric grease.

A silicone based grease no conductive and cheap!!

rfxcasey
08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
The main concern would be if you are using a petroleum based lubricant as this will in time degrade plastic. I have some general purpose synthetic grease for plastics I have used on a set of pedals once and haven't had a problem.

Is a Sidewinder P2 good and does it have FF? I always hear the Sidewinder FF2 was the one to get. Seems like everyone wants the one with the red trigger though I have not found any evidence that the performance or reliability is any better with this model just that its rarer and has a rubber grip on the handle.

M2morris
08-26-2010, 07:53 PM
No Casey, the P2 does'nt have FFB, I have always wanted to try that.
But, after seeing these replies I am reconsidering cleaning out the auto grease after all and using the proper lube while I still have time before it causes damge.
And then I can try to find a SW with FFB and see what thats all about.

RepublicofTexas
01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
So how is the stick working after your service? I think im gonna tear it apart and clean it for the first time in 10 plus years.

M2morris
01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by RepublicofTexas:
So how is the stick working after your service? I think im gonna tear it apart and clean it for the first time in 10 plus years.
You would feel a big difference if you went ahead and did that.
If I could do it again I would use the proper grease but
I never did go back in and clean out the auto grease and it has been working real good. Nice and smooth. I just got finished flying a Corsair for about an hour. I think it will be lasting a long time.

RepublicofTexas
01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
well I cracked her open, cleaned and regreased her and she is smoother and the rudder action seems to have improved. I did not mess with the actual pots with the metal springs, didnt want them to pop on me like when you clean a 1911 lol.

M2morris
01-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by RepublicofTexas:
well I cracked her open, cleaned and regreased her and she is smoother and the rudder action seems to have improved. I did not mess with the actual pots with the metal springs, didnt want them to pop on me like when you clean a 1911 lol.
Good news. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Maybe you won't need to buy a new one after all, but if you need to you can still find them for sale here and there. I will never get another kind, there's no need for me to start using a different design. If my present one ever kicks the bucket I might have her bronzed.

RepublicofTexas
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
The stick slop is still there though. I thought about sticking a shim in there but I didnt, not a big deal as long as it works.