PDA

View Full Version : PF Trim Dos and Don'ts

RocketRobin__
01-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Real aeroplanes fly most efficiently when the control surfaces are coordinated to the flight angle. Most often, this done by shifting the control surfaces. If a pilot decides that a particular control configuration is optimal, he will use trim to dial it in, to relieve control pressures.

So, for PF:
- Do NOT trim your aeroplane, or it will cause a drag increase.
- DON'T trim your aeroplane, or it will cause a drag increase.
In PF, your plane flies cleanest when it's slewing at whatever angle it likes.

It's not an oxymoron, it's a game.

Yskonyn23
01-18-2005, 04:06 AM
? Err...

Anyway try pushing full throttle after slow flight and staying level while the plane accelerates. You'll end up pushing the stick fully forward and still the aircraft tries to climb... Trimming HAS to be done in-game.

XyZspineZyX
01-18-2005, 06:05 AM
well seeing as.......

1. I can set the flaps to slider so that a completely false (IRL) setting can become available........

and

2. I can set my stick to input levels that make stallling very hard (nigh on impossible) to achieve, yet still remain extremely competitive......

(anyone tried this one yet and hasn't mentioned it, mmmmm ????)

CAN WE PLEASE, PLEASE HAVE TRIM RETURNED TO SOMETHING THAT IS REALISTIC AND ACCURATE?????

LEBillfish
01-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Trimming the elevator DEFFINATELY gives you more speed....Though remember, if a plane naturally climbs then trimming the elevator can and should slow it as you are inducing drag to run more nose down or level.

Trimming rudder besides correcting slip, does at a certain point cause an increase in speed, yet after a certain point will cause the plane to slow as you are fighting the planes natural desire to slip or yaw. HOWEVER, you then to not have to fight it to keep it on course.

Rudder trim often will cause torque to be noticed...SOme planes it relieves it, others it amplifies it....and few planes have trim for roll to compensate which again would add more drag.

All and all however, most planes here gain speed with proper application of trim...Others you sacrifice a small amount of speed for control.

Sounds fine to me.

VF-29_Sandman
01-18-2005, 08:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vagueout:
well seeing as.......

1. I can set the flaps to slider so that a completely false (IRL) setting can become available........

and

2. I can set my stick to input levels that make stallling very hard (nigh on impossible) to achieve, yet still remain extremely competitive......

(anyone tried this one yet and hasn't mentioned it, mmmmm ????)

CAN WE PLEASE, PLEASE HAVE TRIM RETURNED TO SOMETHING THAT IS REALISTIC AND ACCURATE????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

seems to me u want the stuff modeled to mimic a fly-by-wire f/a-18. and that aint gonna happen. a trim tab is a fraction of the control surface and u sound like u want it to act as 1. wouldnt happen in rl, and oleg sez it aint gonna happen here. would love to see u try that in an actual p-xx that's still airworthy. u'd be a lawn dart in no time.

XyZspineZyX
01-18-2005, 09:50 AM
"S! Sandman

Unfortunately you speak without prior knowledge, or in ignorance, I'm sorry to suggest.

It has been admitted to in threads previous that trim was "fixed" to prevent it's unfair use in dogfighting...yet the above points I mention seem to be quite ok to continue with.

In RL it should take a very short amount of time (3 seconds or so) to trim an aircraft for level "hands off" flight.
Trim can be and is used to climb or descend. Used as a vernier instead of the stick.

How about it Oleg?
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````
I would like to know though, exactly how flyers do have thier stick input set in such a manner.

Oh Sandman, I almost forgot.......
Most know that fly by wire is computer controlled, which is why I guess it will never happen in WWII prop planes in game....They didn't have computers in them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

VF-29_Sandman
01-18-2005, 09:58 AM
think u should talk to bss_vidar. an actual ex-naval pilot. the things u want for trim wasnt possible in a ww2 vintage aircraft. and yes, he did get to fly in an actual p-51. we already have a 'flaps jammed' damage model. that needs to be incorporated for ufo slider-trimmer's like u

XyZspineZyX
01-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Oh, you're that Sandman

In that case you could probably ask him to indicate to yuo how to trim a Corsair, for carrier take off and trap