PDA

View Full Version : Mossie Aesthetics

GreyBeast
03-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi there!

Here's something I've been pondering:

Why are the horizontal stabilizers on the Mosquito so far behind the rudder? What I mean to say is both these surfaces aren't "lined up".

If I can make this work (I'm stealing a link from Prangster here), THIS is what I mean:

http://www.ijeremiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Mospru2.jpg

As you can see, the horizontal tailplane is somewhat BEHIND the vertical.

Apart from the fact that the fuselage is already quite thin around this part of the Mossie, making the space availabe for fastening both structures restricted, I can't think of any other explanation.

Can you?

Sorry for "stealing", Prang!

One13
03-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Several aircraft use tail arrangements like that or have the opposite with the horizontal tail surface in front of the vertical.

I believe this was to aid spin recovery. If you think about it if you get into a flat spin with a tail where the horizontal and vertical surfaces line up the horizontal surface will hide the vertical from the airflow. This means you will be unable to turn out of the spin.

But if the vertical surface is ahead of the horizontal there is enough airflow to allow you to turn out of the spin.

DaimonSyrius
03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't know about the aeronautics involved (One13's explanation sounds good to me), but other popular planes have a similar arrangement, for instance the F4U Corsair:

http://www.military.cz/usa/air/war/fighter/f4u/f4u_squad.jpg

Cheers,
S.

tigertalon
03-15-2006, 11:42 AM
It is to prevent the control surfaces from obstructing eachother (imagine rudder and elevator at their full deflection).

Other possible solution was to cut a triangle out from elevator usualy. Check it out on 109.

GreyBeast
03-15-2006, 12:06 PM
@ Syrius
You're right! Actually, when I looked at the Mossie tail I thougt: "Now where have I seen THIS before?"

@ One13
Your explanation sounds plausible, for "technical" reasons. But do you really think that 3 feet's distance is enough for the airflow to "recover" before it strikes the horizontal tailplane. I don't know.

@ TigerTalon
Of course, that's it! How silly to omit that.