PDA

View Full Version : Okay, new to Hurricanes any good tips?

Worf101
06-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I finished my NZ campaign now I'm giving the OZ's a go. Any good tips for flying and fight the type II? Love the increased speed over the Brewster but even with 12 of em those 7.62s just plain suck. Lots and lots of flashy "hits" but no damage... Oh for 4 cannons and two machine guns!!!

Da Worfster

justflyin
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
My 1st rule in a Hurri II: Stay fast until you grind one down to be able to out turn them quickly, but keep your eyes peeled for his wingmen!!! Don't linger in a turn. She doesn't accelerate particularly well.

2nd rule of thumb: Just like the P-51, set your convergence and hit at your convergence. Those 12 .303s pack a punch against fighters. Bombers, well, by the time you land enough to bring it down, their gunners have usually either knocked out you rengine or you. Always aim for bomber engines or go for the pit from directly diving down from above. No six approaches!!!!

Maybe later in the campaign, as I haven't tried it, you'll get to fly Field-Mods and the IIc. The Field-Mod is an excellent ride with excellent gun range and the IIc has 4 yummy hispanos, as you know.

Good luck!

x6BL_Brando
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
My take would be about using the steadiness of the Hurri as a gun-platform. Set a reasonably tight convergence 150-200 metres say, and concentrate on getting your lead into a vulnerable point. 8 or 12 streams of lead concentrated into a small area does pack a hefty punch - even if .303" ammo has such a bad rep here in FB, it definitely didn't do the pride of the Luftwaffe a lot of good in a certain battle, did it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Height will always be your friend - and a good top cover of Spits!

It's pretty sturdy and quite manouevrable - but don't stick around to mix it with anything that can flick around easy. There seems to be a tendency to taking damage in the engine area resulting in the engine running wild....be ready to tighten prop pitch back as far as 40% to bring it under control. Low speed flight is okay ... bear in mind she will lift off at just 80 kts, and land on three at 75.

One of my favourite birds - just avoid Zeros if you want to keep the paintwork good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy!

B.

tigertalon
06-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by justflyin:
Bombers, well, by the time you land enough to bring it down, their gunners have usually either knocked out you rengine or you. Always aim for bomber engines or go for the pit from directly diving down from above. No six approaches!!!!

Only thing I'd add here is: besides cockpit, learn where other weak spots (fuel tanks) of the bombers are, where it catches fire easily. For stuka those are in wingroots.

jimDG
06-07-2006, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
I finished my NZ campaign now I'm giving the OZ's a go. Any good tips for flying and fight the type II? Love the increased speed over the Brewster but even with 12 of em those 7.62s just plain suck. Lots and lots of flashy "hits" but no damage... Oh for 4 cannons and two machine guns!!!

Da Worfster

It has 20sec plus firing time, so you can use long bursts. I personally go for the pilot, and only shoot at more than 45 deg deflection. That is, the enemy's angle across yor path is 45 deg - then put the crosshair ahead of him, and the target slightly outside the ring. Then hold the triger for 2 sec as he goes through the stream of bullets (I set convergeance at 300-350m). There are figures on the internet showing what an airplane looks like at 45 deg (I lost the links though).
As for bombers - I find head-ons to be the only feasable way to take them, with .303s - i.e. I go for the pilots as well. Or you can dive at 90 deg and shoot 2 rings ahead of the cockpit with a very long burst (needs more shooting practice though)

FunGus1968
06-07-2006, 06:24 AM
I found that setting trim to the mouse wheel (or left & right buttons) works very well with the Hurricane.

F19_Ob
06-07-2006, 06:24 AM
My advise is mainly for online, fighting thinking opponents.

I set the convergence to counter the fastest and most dangerous opponent, wich is usually the bf 109.
This means I must set convergence to minimum 300m because thats the closest I will ever get to any average skilled 109 in the normal case.

The 109 E is more agile in slow speeds close to stall where it is better than the hurricane in accelleration, roll, climb and therefore even turn better, with vertical turns (or yoyo's).
The 109 is also better in highest speeds where it easily can pull away in level flight or spiralclimb above and behind until the hurricane stalls (wich happens very soon).

This above means the Hurricane is on a serious disadvantage and usually is chanceless against a 109 expert.
However the cannon-equipped hurricanes can turn the situation because a single cannonhit may severely cripple a 109 if it hits the right spot.
With smallcaliber guns it's very difficult to do that, and usually only happens if the 109 badly misjudge of the situation, or is bounced in a furball or similar.

1 vs 1 the hurricane shouldn't win a fight against the 109, unless it succeed damage or kill the opponent in the first head-on pass.

One of the most dangerous situations is when a hurricane chases a 109 (wich it won't catch) wich makes it vulnerable to other 109's wich easily will catch up to help the comrad, and a hurricane at high speed cant roll or turn well enough to evade attacks.

The best method to escape in this scenario is to cut throttle and push stick forward hard to decrease speed to best maneuvering speed and try to spiral down steeply to make the attackers aim as difficult as possible, still with throttle idle. Keep on and drag the enemies down to make them more vulnerable to your friendlies attacks.
If the hurricanes speed is too high in the spiral the 109 easily may maneuver to a firing position.

I see to it that I always have plenty of altitude in the hurricane before I reach enemyterritory. A Hurricane is really too slow to climb in enemy airspace.
The 109's will reach high altitudes very quickly and they will always be able to outclimb the hurricane (or most early fighters)

If u see 109's at higher altitude quickly get out of the area and climb higher.

There is much more to be said, but this should be a good startingpoint. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

leitmotiv
06-07-2006, 06:42 AM
The Hurricane IIB is one of my favorites. First: do not muck around---set convergence for the closest permitted (the real aces used 50 meters) :100 meters. As beautifully outlined by others, you and your mates should hit bombers from dead ahead. Try to make the attack from slightly above the bomber so you will be gaining momentum right before you fire. Recover by turning to the side of the bomber and use your speed to climb to his side out of gun range. Parallel the bomber until you gain a lead on him. When you are sufficiently ahead, hit the bomber from above and to the side---the gunners will find the high rate of range change too much for a correct shooting solution. Recover and keep hitting the bomber from above and to the side. Shooting at point-blank range will tear up a bomber. At the very least, he will be spewing gas. If you are good and lucky, your intial frontal attack will kill the pilot. One way to get the Ju 88: his gun arcs are limited to the side. If you find yourself chasing one, follow him to the side and out of the arc of the dorsal gunner. When you are sufficiently up on him, hit him from the side, and aim at the cockpit. Good chance you'll KO the pilot. The Ju 88 pilot sat high and exposed---he had a huge armored "throne" behind him, but no protection to the sides. The key to enjoying your time with the Hurricane IIB is to get close. The twelve .303s are murder against fighters---just shoot close-in!

R988z
06-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Except the Hurricane is not really fast enough to get in close against stuff like 109s that can pull away, you have to try to lure them into a turning fight, but the sensible ones wont let you.

Xiolablu3
06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
In the Hurricane you must use your height to enage and try and stay at a faster speed if you want to compete on equal terms.

Those 12 303's are lethal at around 100-200m and rip up 109E's.

If you do get into a turnfight at low alt then watch your speed doesnt drop below 210kph or you will drop a wing and if you havent sufficient height to recover you will die.

It doesnt give you any warning that its going to stall (just like the real Hurri) like the Spitfire, it just drops and wing and falls, very dangerous.

Its a good plane once you get used to its slow speed and learn to compensate with height.

Alsways try and be higher than the enemy when you engage, then you can catch him. This is important in any plane, but even more so in the Hurricane.

Monty_Thrud
06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Well i cant tell you anymore than has been said...i've flown all Hurricanes since IL2 came out and i'm still crape at it, i got seriously pwned by a Stuka online the other day, outturned several times while i flopped about the sky, screaming like a school girl, heck i even got outturned by the Tirpitz...so i've decided to hang up my js and let the AI fly instead...on ACE mode i rock

major_setback
06-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I responds very well to use of the rudder in turns, so you can jinx it around quite a bit (do quick dips and climbs with added rudder to evade the enemy on your tail).

leitmotiv
06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
R988z is right. Up against a 109F the Hurricane IIB or C will be like a mouse up against a very big cat. Pray your opponents don't know how to use the 109. If they know how to use their airplanes, turn like crazy, shoot any which pass close, and hope the burst which wrecks your airplane doesn't get you, too.

OMK_Hand
06-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I find these settings useful:

Take off: Radiator open, rudder trim slightly right, full starboard aileron at first, comming to neutral as speed increases and tail lifts.

Climb and combat: 2850 rpm (90% rpm in level flight) +9 boost (90% throttle) for (in theory) 1 hour maximum.

In combat, listen to the sound of the engine and alter the throttle to keep revs fairly constant at 2850, using 100% rpm where the revs fall below. Flog the engine at 3000 rpm in short bursts when you most need it. Doing this helps with avoiding overheating at critical times. I find it helps to think about mostly staying within engine limits, rather than thinking exclusively about speed. Speed tends to look after itself in a fight. Of course all of this has to be done 'in the background'. Watching, anticipating, and responding to the movements of the enemy are the focus in combat.
Knowing your engine/prop relationship gives you an edge, though.

Best climb speed: 121 knots IAS up to 16,000' (135 knots with bombs)
16 to 21,000' 117 knots Ias
21 to 26,000' 113 knots IAS

Cruise: 2660 rpm (75% rpm)+7 boost (77% throttle) Use these whenever you can.
Maximum cruise: 1800 (50% rpm) +4 boost (50% throttle)

Maximum oil temp: 98 degrees.

Set the blower to stage two around 9,000' or when the boost really falls off.

Landing: below 104 knots IAS for gear and flaps down, radiator open, rpm 100%.
Final approach around 80 knots.

Hope this is of interest.

StellarRat
06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't bother with the 4 cannon version unless you are going after bombers. It is less manueverable then the others. Against 109s you need to have an alt/speed advantage and try to lure them into a turn fight. The Hurri will out turn a 109 at med to low speeds, however, it loses elevator authority at high speeds and can't turn with a 109 in a dive. If you playing historically accurate plane sets the combat will be slow enough that you should be able to get in real close and stay on someones six long enough to do a lot of damage even with .303s.

VW-IceFire
06-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Da Worfster
Hurricane is a nice plane to fly but not the greatest to fight in. Maintain your energy, cling to it like its life, turn sparingly but feel confident in your turns, and aim accurately.

The best thing you can do against the enemy planes with your guns is to hit at convergence, concenrate your fire on one spot (an engine or pilot) and hammer them for a full second. That should do. They won't do anything spectacular but if you did it right his engine will be toast, his control cables cut, and the pilot dead. Try and never do it from dead 6 but with deflection angles.

While the .303 could be more effective that doesn't mean its not impossible to down the enemy. Against Japanese fighters and early 109s you can get 3-4 kills with the Hurri II's ammo load. No joke...did that online against human pilots and on more than one occasion.

leitmotiv
06-08-2006, 08:49 AM
All true, VW_Ice Fire. I just like the Hurricane, any flavor, and enjoy brawling with it. Seize your chances, aim right, and those .303s can be murder.

justflyin
06-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Forgotten Battles V1.0 Hurricane IIc for hte win!!!!11!!111

mynameisroland
06-08-2006, 09:11 AM
If you can drag the Bf 109 in to a turn fight and you can keep your energy up you will be able to bring your guns to bear on your enemy. The Hurricane is a nice stable gunnery platform all it takes is one 1 sec firing opportunity and you will severly damage the Bf 109 and make itr much easier to take out the fight. a lot of guys here recommend that you hold your fire until you have the chance of a decisive shot. I say if you are fighting an aircraft that is faster and generally superior to your own you need to fire often even when presented with only small percentage angles. This way you can get one or two hits maybe in the engine, maybe the wing maybe even wound the pilot. You wont blow him up but you will whittle down their advantage if you succeed in scoring frequent niggly hits. In a dogfight that is 1 on 1 I generally try to inflict a hit as soon as I can even if its a very slight hit it will impair their performance anbd handling and knock their confidence a little.

Yesterday the boot was on the other foot when I attacked a P40 E in a Bf 109 F4 and I was on top of the situation until a stray .50 cal round fired from over 700 yards knocked my rudder clean off. This is a perfect example of aircraft superiority being levelled out completely by one 'lucky' hit.

justflyin
06-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Pretty soon you'll be doing this to those nasty 109s:

http://guncam2002.tripod.com/7.avi

Hint: Right-click and Save As.

Worf101
06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the love folks. I've found I can dogfight the KI's and AM's long as I get em in a turn and burn or catch em as they're pulling up from a dive. I can't get the buggy up fast enough to catch anything on the dead run... can't really overtake Betty's to get a better angle one em.

When they're in a landing pattern and turning into me I can light some of them up pretty good. I'm also good at polishing off stragglers, but other then that, I stick to fighters.

I'm beginning to warm to the ole girl. Long as I mind her ways I'm having a good time pumping those .303's into my virtual opponents..

Da Worfster

leitmotiv
06-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Good Hurricane brawls (the fight is good either side):

vs. MC200, G.50, Ki-43 Ic, Bf 110C, A6M2

as Finn Mk I vs. Yak-1 1941, I-16, LaGG-3 1941

My favorite is MC 200 vs. Hurricane Mk I.

JG53Frankyboy
06-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the love folks. I've found I can dogfight the KI's and AM's long as I get em in a turn and burn or catch em as they're pulling up from a dive. I can't get the buggy up fast enough to catch anything on the dead run... can't really overtake Betty's to get a better angle one em.

When they're in a landing pattern and turning into me I can light some of them up pretty good. I'm also good at polishing off stragglers, but other then that, I stick to fighters.

I'm beginning to warm to the ole girl. Long as I mind her ways I'm having a good time pumping those .303's into my virtual opponents..

Da Worfster

as it was in real early 1942 over Malaya/Singapore, its hard work to fight the Japanese Fighters in the Hurri IIB , actually your single good point is the "firepower" - very lethal to the unprotectet japanese.
even the Ki-43 is surprisingly fast down low in comparison to the IIb - not to speak of the Zeke Model 21 !
and not to speak about thee japanese climbperformance !
its realy a hit and run tactic, always keep energie status high, NEVER go in a close dogfight. hard in fighting vs AI controled fighters is also that they dont know anything about speedlimitations in a dive- so to eascape in a highspeed dive is also very difficult- its easier vs human flown planes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif than the japanese broke at around 650km/h IAS, the Hurri can go almost 100km/h faster.

and yes, its not easy to catch highflying G4M , and beware their 20mm in the back ! if you come close to it, aim at the engines.

lock forward to the next payadon, with Ki-27 and Ki-21 . these should be easier foes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif at least the Abdul will be much slower and the Sally has no 20mm canon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Xiolablu3
06-09-2006, 04:46 AM
You should come and fly the singapore map on UKded2 Worf.

Thats HurriIIb vs Ki43 and you have to use teamwork to kill those Oscars. They can outrun you and outurn you so there is no escape without teamwork.

Its like flying a slower FW190 model versus a Spitfire 8 or 9, you only have firepower on your side, so you must help each other.

Great map, but not for the faint hearted :P I know Icefire Likes the Singapore map (as long as there is teamwork of course otherwise its a turkey shoot for Blue)