PDA

View Full Version : No Demo for xmas--it's official

sgr_wilson
12-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Posted by UBi Marc over at the German forums badly translated by Google but the gist of it is clear:

"Hello of people, topic demo.... It will give no demo in December. That has to do to the largest part with the beta phase. A demo is momentarily not we also the release date to hold feasiblly there would like. As soon as there in the next month something new is gives it immediately suitable news"

Oh well... February cant come soon enough!

Pr0metheus 1962
12-21-2004, 08:49 AM
This is true:

"Es wird keine Demo im Dezember geben. Das hat zum gr¶ßten Teil mit der Beta-Phase zu tun. Eine Demo ist momentan nicht machbar da wir ja auch das Release-Datum halten m¶chten. Sobald es im n¤chsten Monat etwas Neues gibt gibt es sofort eine passende News."

My translation (hopefully better than Google):

"There will be no demo in December. That has to do in most part with the beta phase. A demo is not possible at the moment if we want to keep the game's release date. As things develop in the next month we'll keep you updated"

Well, at least that makes me happy. The full game's (unrushed, complete and bug-free) release is the most important thing for me, and it looks like they're serious about doing it properly and meeting the release date.

Drebbel
12-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Many people might be disappointed but I think it is good that there will be no demo at this point. Let the team spend all their efforts on the sim itself. IMHO making demo is just a waste of time and money.

Capt.LoneRanger
12-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Agreed!

It's only 2 more month to go until the full is released. That means little more than one month for the devs to finish the product.

And honestly, I prefer a release-version as bugfree as possible over a beta-demo now and less time for the devs to polish the product!

I support this decision 100 % http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

oscar0072004
12-21-2004, 10:12 AM
quote="Neal Stevens"]If you had heard what I heard this week.... this week I got some new info about Silent Hunter III that really fired me up, something so moving that I was compelled to tell my boss I was taking the rest of the afternoon off, go home and watch Das Boot all the way through. More details to come but for now,... enjoy your nap. The Happy Times are coming! [/quote]

I KNOW ALLMOST FOR SURE NOW , NEAL STEVENS HAS BEEN ASKED TO BE BETA TESTER BY THE SH-3 DEV TEAM!!!!

sav112
12-21-2004, 10:13 AM
I liked the Idea of a Demo for Xmas but never shouted about it. I€m happy with the fact the guy€s still are on course for February.

I know the Dev€s are pushed for time but could we have an XMAS round up, just a few paragraphs on anything that the Dev€s are happy with in the game etc. That would only take twenty minutes to do and would give us a lift for Xmas.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif

AKA44
12-21-2004, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> No Demo for xmas--it's official <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why i'm not surprised...? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Yarrick_
12-21-2004, 11:08 AM
So, will we get any other gift for christmas? A less ambitious one... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ? Please! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

flyingdane
12-21-2004, 11:28 AM
personally thats good news to me,I would rather have a fully complet game with less ''bugs'' and relesed on time than a demo anyday.
now maby we can stop all of those ''I WANT A DEMO'' threads. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Willey
12-21-2004, 11:32 AM
http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=59010161&f=469102863&m=2031009452

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1.) Many Members of our Community are asking for a Demo Version of Silent Hunter III. Will there be one, and if so, when can we expect it? Before, or after release of the game? Can you also tell us something about what happens in the Demo?

[Florin Boitor] There will be a SH3 demo. We said at the GC in Leipzig that a demo can't be released sooner than 2 months before official release. We are targeting at this moment a demo release 3-4 weeks before the official release date. Demo will contain 1-2 single missions with 1 U-boat type and around 10 ship types. There will be features missing in this demo and I mean especially the dynamic campaign. The reason is mainly the size restrictions for a demo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Late Jan/Early Feb then... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

walsh2509
12-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Why i'm not surprised...?

Are you really?

The only reason I wanted a demo was to test my rig to see what kind of frame rates and graphics I could expect ot see...

What I wouldn't want is to go out a pay good money just to end up with a game I can only get to run at "half power".

I was just wondering why all these other game houses can put demos out and still make there deadline or near it, with no more bugs than any other game without a demo!

one.zero
12-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I can't say that I am surprised based on the past 6-months pattern. This is not a good sign. Combined with no screen saver, videos only after major forum demand and the other misc. reactive natures, this delivery on feb seems fishy and perhaps of questionable qaulity as a result. Time will tell of course, but the grades up to this point arent very good.

Anyway, I am done here. I guess I'll be surprised if and when it comes in the mail. I hope with this "next change" we get the program we were promised and nothing less with no more excuses.

Dont get me wrong guys, I appreciate the type of game they are making as well as the talent and effort of which they put forward. Its the commitment thing and the trends of missing deadlines that bothers me. I own two corporations and actively run one of them....you don't make commiements you can't keep and you at least provide explanations in special situations where you cannot deliver. After repeated patters of this....credibility justifiably goes down.

Time to take off....later...

frog7
12-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Oh Well....new it to good to be true..Nevermind,well all you people have a good holidays..and a good new year,ill be back on the 1 Feb...bye

Pr0metheus 1962
12-21-2004, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walsh2509:
What I wouldn't want is to go out a pay good money just to end up with a game I can only get to run at "half power". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The demo would not have satisfied those concerns. The demo they're thinking of releasing won't have the dynamic campaign, so a lot of the game's traffic (that would slow down framerates) wasn't going to be included in the demo anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was just wondering why all these other game houses can put demos out and still make there deadline or near it, with no more bugs than any other game without a demo! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What game companies are these? If you're talking about arcade titles - ports from the X-Box or Playstation - it's not surprising that they make their deadlines - all the real work went into the console version. Porting them over to the PC doesn't take long and at that point you know how long it's going to take. A simulation for the PC is a completely different matter. This is not just an arcade shooter: it requires fine-tuning to make it work right, and that means a lot of development time and delays. That's why MOST simulation titles are released unfinished and buggy. I don't recall a simulation game that didn't need at least one patch, and many of them need lots.

Capt.LoneRanger
12-21-2004, 12:38 PM
@walsh2509

Well, a pre-release-demo was never a good thing to determine your FPS in the game. The code is not polished and might not be adapted to all codes of all the different hardware. On the other hand todays demos never include the full detail to keep the filesize to a downloadable minimum.

The reason why other gaming companies CAN release a demo is simple: Most other game-productions have a bigger financial background and more manpower. They also seldomly react to the customers wish to include additional features, especially not extreme additions like dynamic campaign. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

You always got to see the whole picture and so far the devs have shown a great support for the wishes and questions of the community and they don't want to repell them by releasing an unfinished product. Can't find anything bad with that.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-21-2004, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by one.zero:
I can't say that I am surprised based on the past 6-months pattern. This is not a good sign. Combined with no screen saver, videos only after major forum demand and the other misc. reactive natures, this delivery on feb seems fishy and perhaps of questionable qaulity as a result... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please! Screen savers? Videos? These are irrelevant to the final product. Sometimes it seems that folks would prefer to have bunches of useless pre-release garbage rather than a fully finished and bug-free game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I own two corporations and actively run one of them....you don't make commiements you can't keep <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you had ever owned a corporation that made simulation games you'd know that you can't give any commitments for such things. If a game company makes such commitments, it's already a lie before the words are even published. Besides, if a release date is more important than product quality to you, I'm not sure whether your customers will be pleased with your commitment. When I order something, I'd much rather it be made with care rather than rushed out to meet an arbitrary deadline.

No commitments have been broken because no such commitments were ever made. The developers said they were 'shooting for a 4th quarter release'. That doesn't mean they committed to it. If they had, we'd be playing a very bad quality unfinished game right now. If you remember SH2 you know that's the last thing we want.

Good quality games are few and far between. Let the developers do their job. Now is not the time to complain.

Glazier
12-21-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't mind, it will finally give me time to finish System Shock 2!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

marky1984
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
i agree with onezero

not surpising

but also a bad sign

SH3 is showing symptoms of Harpoon 4, and if uve heard of H4, then it is certainly not good news

tho id liek to think theres method to the madness

at least theyre trying to concentrate on finishing the full version than concentrating on a demo that will giv u maybe 30 minutes of enjoyment, and then get old, and only have 2 missions, 1 boat and 10 ship types

this way, theyll focus on the full version, and iron it out and polish it, and then release it

seems like a good idea in hindsight

Capt.LoneRanger
12-21-2004, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> you don't make commiements you can't keep <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where exactly did they say there will be a demo before christmas!? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

They said there will be a demo and I bet there will be, but no promise was ever made about this, nor was there any given date for a demo-release. If you run 2 companies, you should know better than to trust rumors. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

one.zero
12-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't have the time or at this point even a forum search engine that works to pull up the comments from the developers about the demo. I could be wrong, but I recall them stating that we would have a demo prior to year end...and that it could be a christmas present.

Some of you should interview with the software company as coprorate communication managers. You don't even work there and youre making excuses, splitting hairs and words in favor of them.

I'm sorry if accountabiilty is too harsh a reality, but we can play this game of exception all day long. It doesnt change the fact that anything can be managed...or it can manage you..which seems to be the case here.

Lets look forward to a good game! I'll wish them the best from my vacumn.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by one.zero:
I'm sorry if accountabiilty is too harsh a reality, but we can play this game of exception all day long. It doesnt change the fact that anything can be managed...or it can manage you..which seems to be the case here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you don't seem to understand is that the demo is an optional extra that has nothing to do with the developers' job. The only commitment they have is to make a good game. If you want to obsess about something that is irrelevant to the actual job that we're expecting the developers to do, that's your problem. For me, the demo isn't even worth this much discussion because it's not anything worth bothering about. You talk about commitment to a demo as if the demo is everything. Your attitude towards this game is kind of like the attitude of a customer who writes to a company to complain that the box his Christmas present came wrapped in was missing a nice red ribbon. Your complaint has nothing to do with what you should be expecting from the supplier. It's nice to get a nice bow wrapped around a Christmas present, and it's nice to get a demo, but these things are not worth getting upset about because they aren't what's important. Both of these things get thrown in the trash as soon as we get to the real goods.

Manfred von Richthofen once said: "Get on your enemy's tail and shoot him down. Everything else is rubbish". What Richthofen meant was that no amount of fancy flying will get a pilot more (or faster) victories. What's important is simply getting the job done in the most efficient manner. Similarly, no amount of demos, videos, screenshots, wallpapers or published interviews will make this game better. These things might make the game look good pre-release, but they don't ensure that it's going to be a great game, and they might even get in the way. If they get in the way, dump them.

The developers have made the right decision in cutting (or delaying) the demo.

Capt.LoneRanger
12-21-2004, 03:25 PM
The devs never said there will be a demo before christmas. They only said, there will be a demo before the release. Then somebody else concluded, that the best moment for a demo would be 2 month before the release-date, leading to the story, that there would be a christmas-demo.

No official ever said so - infact is was denied over a month ago, here, and on the German forums.

It has nothing to do with jumping to defend somebody, but with some rumors, that some people took for real, just they were repeated over and over again.

Besides that, a pre-release-demo at this state would tell you nothing about the full game. I got to remind you, that the demo the game-magazines got was with easy settings only! I doubt this would be a good advertisement for the main customers of this product.

Antrodemus
12-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Jeez... so many "cup-half-empty" guys in here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Like the rest, I'm far more happy that they're putting all their effort into finishing it (properly) and getting the game out on time, than on a demo. I get the feeling that the naysayers would be first in line to complain if the game came out bugged as a result of the diverted time / resources...

A.

one.zero
12-22-2004, 04:47 PM
I would rather have part of a game than a hole game.

I would rather have...is nothing but comprimse which shoud be unessasary in this case.

Good work men...keep it up making concessions, excuses and exceptions.

Berryus..you need communication training on "how to stay on subject". Stop justifying everything....so apologetic you are.

I have exhausted enough on this subject.

I am dissapointed. Period!

Pr0metheus 1962
12-22-2004, 04:55 PM
I am dissapointed. Period! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poor baby. Diddums!

Antrodemus
12-22-2004, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would rather have part of a game than a hole game.

I would rather have...is nothing but comprimse which shoud be unessasary in this case. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, this makes no sense. I mean, literally, I can't make any sense of what you're trying to say.

A.

one.zero
12-22-2004, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antrodemus:
Sorry, this makes no sense. I mean, literally, I can't make any sense of what you're trying to say.

A. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's kind of like that comprising whining I keep hearing....Ill be happy with anything...at any price.

That kind of thing.

BobTuck
12-23-2004, 04:48 AM
This forum is starting to remind me of the quote:
"Any civilisation is only 3 square meals away from anarchy"

Looks like we're getting to the end of our last square meal, eh guys?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Better surface and break out the fishing rods.

BobTuck.

Capt.LoneRanger
12-23-2004, 04:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's kind of like that comprising whining I keep hearing....Ill be happy with anything...at any price. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that is only your interpretation of it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Nobody said something like that. But we want a working game with as little bugs as possible and that means an intensive beta-phase.

I bet if we had a demo you'd be the first to complain it's only simple mode, as it was announced, and I also bet you'd be the first to post complains about the bugs in the full, if they'd concentrate on the demo and not on the beta-phase.

There are always people you can never please, regardless of what miracles you do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
12-23-2004, 04:55 AM
2 weeks ago we were at the dessert. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

BobTuck
12-23-2004, 05:24 AM
Ah, that would explain why there is sand in the propeller shaft grease!

BobTuck.

Capt.LoneRanger
12-23-2004, 06:00 AM
LOL

dessert, not desert! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BobTuck
12-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Hahah! Ooops.

SANDwich anyone?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BobTuck.

one.zero
12-23-2004, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I bet if we had a demo you'd be the first to complain it's only simple mode, [QUOTE]

--no...i would not. How much complaining have i made about photos or videos...zero!

[QUOTE]I also bet you'd be the first to post complains about the bugs in the full,[QUOTE]

---no again, I don't have the time in Feb -May...you guys do best at those issues.

--you are correct in some points. we need a game and a bug free game. we need it at the expense of anything promised or implied. examples, we don't absoloutly need 3d crew members, TDC, variants of boats or torps. We could in theory keep sacrificing everything promised or implied for delivery.....or we could hold the line for what we belive we are to recieve.

U-551 Kapitan
12-23-2004, 01:08 PM
A demo is what the developers of a game use to recieve feedback on their product. With a demo, they can see what issues still need to be corrected and what the public whould also like to see in the game. Demos are not for our own benefit, but for the developers. Now I think everyone would take into account that it is only a demo and that it does not reflect in any way the final game. We wouldn't start complaining over a demo, we'd just let the devs know what they still need to work on.