PDA

View Full Version : Running a co-op off a remote server

Steg.
11-23-2005, 11:43 PM
For the information of any and all who are interested.

Recently my squad started to look at running co-ops remotely off of our dedicated server box, and thus taking advantage of our 100mb pipe to get some big co-ops going. However we, like everyone else I have talked to, had the problem that when we tried to remote desktop into the server, that the mouse stopped working once IL2/PF started.

Near as I can tell this has something to do with running an openGl application through remote desktop, though I could be completely wrong on that account.

Anyway the upside of it all is that I have found a workaround that allows us to use the game interface when remotely connected. The answer was, to simply use a mouse emulation program to interact with the game. It seems that remotely accessing IL2/PF causes the mouse to become overly sensitive, and by using a mouse to keyboard emulator we can get around this problem.

The emulator I use can be found here http://www.geocities.com/matroxfiles/ I have not tested any others to see if they work, but this one does for me.

The next step for my squadron now we are able to run co-ops off our 100mb server is whether our hardware configuration is going to become a problem, as running the whole game is more taxing on the system then running the ded server shell.

Anyway I hope someone finds this useful, and hopefully if this is all that was holding up some large scale co-op servers, then we should see some appear in the near future with any luck.

|450|Steg
http://450sqdn.dusta.net/

HelSqnProtos
11-24-2005, 12:56 AM
S~!

Excellent Sir !!! Well Done http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Please post back and let us know how everything works out. I am particularly interested in this. We have been needing Dedicated Coop Servers very badly in my opinion.

Lancelot_ecv56
11-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Agree, tell any new about you test, this is good news and on our squad we were loooking for something like this for quite some time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Troll2k
11-24-2005, 03:50 PM
They are not running a dedicated coop.Just a coop on a machine with a fat pipe remotely.

T_O_A_D
11-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Great tip I'll give it a try.

You can though, free it up some more, by running it in direct X

Just set this section in the conf.ini file too look like this.

[window]
width=320
height=240

Then start game and set video options to very low.

Thats the best you can do to free up the full install game for hosting Coops.

Steg.
11-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Troll is right, it is not a dedicated co-op server as such, but it is probably the closest we will come until hopefully BOB.

This for us is an exercise in getting access to our fat pipe for co-ops, so we can run Scorched Earth missions and not be as limited by bandwidth.

ATM over here in OZ the maximum readily available home account is 12mb down 1mb up
(if you are in the right area to take advantage of it) so having access to a 100mb link for co-ops opens up a new world for us in the amount of objects we can have in game without lag.

Having said that we ran a test last night, that consisted of 56 aircraft (2/3 flyable) and 78 ground objects, fighting it out in the online mountains map. Needless to say aircraft and flack were everywhere and the heavy bombers made a mess of the ground targets. But with all that going on the link ran smooth, no warping was detected by any of the players and everyone's ping remained stable throughout the test.

It is important to note that when trying to run the server remotely that you cut the connection to the remote computer as soon as the game starts, otherwise the video streaming to your remote screen will cause lag as it sucks bandwidth as fast as your remote connection can download it.

What we do is start the server then close IL2 to desktop, and then close the remote connection, The game continues to run until you open it all back up and stop it.

Also having the game graphics settings turned down as low as possible helps the server run, as does having no sound generated by the game.

So the upshot of it all is that, this seems to work fine. which means if you have access to a fat pipe then the limiting factor on co-ops is going to be based more on your remote box's capabilities rather then your bandwidth.

I can see no reson at the moment why our 3Gzh server will not be able to run 80 aircraft co-ops or more hopefully.

Steg.

T_O_A_D
11-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Looking forward to seeing it up. I do the same thing, with my Old Gaming machine, at LAN parties. But there I don't need to remotley do it. I have tried many atime to remotly run it and just gave up. But now I think I'll dust it off and try again.

VT-51_Razor
11-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Steg, is the 32 plane limit that is supposedly set for us right now due to FPS issues, or is it some kind of "hard coded" limit within the game? I realize that, if one built a coop with 32 He-111s, there would be about 192 slots for humans to fill. Is that possible?!!

Steg.
11-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Co-op servers ATM are limited to 32 human players by the game. There may be a work around for this, but I haven€t looked into it ATM.

If you were to put say 10 He111€s in a map, there are 60 available seats, but that just gives the 32 players a choice of positions.

As far as I can work out the developers decided that because there is no dedicated server support for co-op, and therefore co-ops were going to be mainly run off home accounts, that co-ops would not support massive numbers of players. Therefore I think that they thought an increase to seats in co-op was not necessary. Unlike the Dogfight servers which have Ded server support and have been increased to 128 players.

The main use for running co-ops in the way I describe is to increase the number of AI objects in a map.

I will use my current Scorched Earth campaign as an example.

ATM we are running the campaign off of a 1mb upload, this means that in any given match each side is limited to 20 aircraft in the air for the match, and we are limited to 20 ground movements for a match, this means overall we have 40 aircraft and 40 ground movements in any given match. We all have to set our connections down to 14.4 or the warping is insane, and even when set down we still get some warping.

Now compare that to a match run on a 100mb link, we will be able to increase aircraft and ground movement, so we can have AI bomber flights, Photo recon, ground support and fighter cover all up at once, we can have our ground forces moving up to the front in one go, instead of having to leap frog them week by week. Players will be able to set connection to IDSN and possible have skin downloads on, all this without warping.

So the real benefit of this idea is that we can run more immersive games with more AI objects rather then more players per co-op.

Though I must admit that an increase in players would be nice as well.

Steg.

VT-51_Razor
11-25-2005, 11:50 PM
This is great news Steg! We're also involved in a Scorched Earth campaign with JG11. Mel must have a massive upload because, although we have the same restrictions on a/c in the game (20 vs 20), we don't have any limits on how many AI ground units we can have moving at any given time. The frames aren't too bad, but lag is sometimes problematic. The amazing thing is, JG11 is down under, and we're all from the US - coast to coast! We do set our connections down to 14.4 as well.

Can't wait to see how this works out for you guys. I swear, the SE team has litterally breathed new life into this game and turned it into a really immersive experience! For those of you out there who have not yet experienced this, you owe it to yourselves to check it out!

Troll2k
11-26-2005, 02:32 AM
I used Real VNC or Remote Administrator to "tunnel in" to my remote servers.I do not use remote desktop.I did have a problem with Zone Alarm and the "tunnel" programs but once I got ZA setup where windows did notpop up asking permissions I was fine.