PDA

View Full Version : Good grief! Twin engine support is appaling!

Stuntie
07-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Tried some twin engine planes as I have a CH Quad throttle so can mimic the twin engine set up.

Abosuletly appalled by the horrible support for them in what is most other respects the best WW2 sim.

No separte axis for twins.
A weird, and frankly pointless, set of toggle left/right select left/right/all turn on all/left/right button options. Baffling and rather strange.
One lot even mixed up left and right completely!

I am amazed that such a down right pathetic control system has lasted through no less than 4 iterations (IL2/Fb/ACES/IL46) and has not been improved one jot. Or even made remotely sensible. Twin/Multi engine support has been in many games for years now.
In this day and age such a lack of basic support for multi engines is quite an embarassment.

In the rush to add more planes and eye candy it seems that basic issues such as controls have been completely overlooked.

I doubt anything will get changed for Il2 - if they can't be bothered to fix it this far in the series, then it will most likely be glossed over for ever. I just hope Oleg is planning on a new control system for BOB, because this one is just plain awful (and not just in twin engine support).

p-11.cAce
07-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah - if you had searched here you would see that multi-throttle quads are not supported. Keep in mind that the original game engine was meant for a single engine ground pounding simulation and not the monster it has become before getting too bent out of shape. The fact that multi's could be accommodated at all is pretty amazing.

Ok actually re-reading your post you kinda got my hackles up. Do you know how many people who play this game even run HOTAS much less a throttle quad? Not many. I'd like to hear your list of multi-supported sims that use multiple throttle inputs - and it better read something other than microsoft this, microsoft that.
Rush to add more planes and eye candy? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Do you know how LONG this sim has been built on - beta was 7 years ago. SEVEN. If you started flying this thing freshman year of HS you'd be in your senior year of college now! RUSH?! hahahahaah.
You are righ about things not being changed - and who wants them too? I enjoy the game (even the multis) as it is and I hope that Oleg and crew keep plugging away at the new baby instead of fiddling with minor issues here.
Other than not getting to use your pretty little throttle quad how is the control system awful? Is your stick calibrated, sliders adjusted to your preferences, controls mapped? You can tweak the controls in more ways than even MS sims allow.
RANT OVER (for now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Xiolablu3
07-12-2007, 01:51 PM
I dont see anything bad, mate? Is that because I dont know anything else?

I start each engine, then select all and fly. If I want to lower the throttle on one I choose it and change the rpm. WHats particularly bad about it?

What system would you recommend, rather than the one we have now?

1C:Maddox read these forums, I am sure they will take onboard any good suggestions you have on this subject.

Like Acme says, this sim was only meant to be a sim with one plane, the IL2 which has 1 engine.

leitmotiv
07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Come on, Stuntie, your reg date shows you have been around; what's with this silly spleen attack? I have a CH quad, too, and I don't always use it in FSX. It's not the end of the world. Hit "E", "1", feather, fire extinguisher, etc. I have my gripes with IL-2, but it is the best combat flight sim there is visually (and, believe me, clarity is 99% of the game in a combat flight sim, and this is where the competition fails).

arjisme
07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Stuntie:
In the rush to add more planes and eye candy it seems that basic issues such as controls have been completely overlooked.
Yes, controls have been completely overlooked. Thank you for pointing that out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

horseback
07-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Try this: Assign one of those axes to Flaps, one to Elevator Trim, one to Prop Pitch, and one to Throttle. I'm assuming you have rudder pedals and a decent stick (possibly even CH).

Assign a button to Select Left Engine(s), another to Select Right Engine(s), and a third button to Select All Engines. That's all you really need. The Toggle commands are a waste of time, IMO.

Once you can keep them straight, you have the Next Best Thing to individual throttle controls.

Life is hard. Whining makes it even harder, if you can't be funny or ironic about it.

cheers

horseback

Stuntie
07-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
Yeah - if you had searched here you would see that multi-throttle quads are not supported. Keep in mind that the original game engine was meant for a single engine ground pounding simulation and not the monster it has become before getting too bent out of shape. The fact that multi's could be accommodated at all is pretty amazing.

Ok actually re-reading your post you kinda got my hackles up. Do you know how many people who play this game even run HOTAS much less a throttle quad? Not many. I'd like to hear your list of multi-supported sims that use multiple throttle inputs - and it better read something other than microsoft this, microsoft that.
Rush to add more planes and eye candy? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Do you know how LONG this sim has been built on - beta was 7 years ago. SEVEN. If you started flying this thing freshman year of HS you'd be in your senior year of college now! RUSH?! hahahahaah.
You are righ about things not being changed - and who wants them too? I enjoy the game (even the multis) as it is and I hope that Oleg and crew keep plugging away at the new baby instead of fiddling with minor issues here.
Other than not getting to use your pretty little throttle quad how is the control system awful? Is your stick calibrated, sliders adjusted to your preferences, controls mapped? You can tweak the controls in more ways than even MS sims allow.
RANT OVER (for now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Sims with twin or multi-engine support:
Lock-on
BOB2:WOV
Falcon 4 (with standard community mods e.g RedViper)
B-17
Fly/Fly 2
Flight unlimited
And of course all the MS FS and CFS titles.
I.e. all the big boys except IL-2.

Strike fighters/WOV/WOE/FE series doesn't though, which is frustrating. But at least it just ignores multi engine completely and doesn't add in a half baked mess like IL-2.

The other problems I have are things like:
A) The lack of a Mixture Axis. Never understood why it's not in there given how vital it is in most planes. Given the top rate realism of the flight models it is a glaring ommision.

B) The inability ingame to set input parameters for anything but Joystick 1, what ever that is. I can set the deadzone and senitivities for my Rudder pedals, but not my Joystick.
Yes a third party app allows this, but NOT il-2 itself.

C) Limit of 4 controllers - ok, not a real biggy for me, but a problem for some.

Yes seven years old. And in all that time they not once thought of updating the controller system, even when Multi engine aircraft were made flyable.

Stuntie
07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Come on, Stuntie, your reg date shows you have been around; what's with this silly spleen attack? I have a CH quad, too, and I don't always use it in FSX. It's not the end of the world. Hit "E", "1", feather, fire extinguisher, etc. I have my gripes with IL-2, but it is the best combat flight sim there is visually (and, believe me, clarity is 99% of the game in a combat flight sim, and this is where the competition fails).

Yes, sorry it is a bit of a rant, so apologies for that.
I think too much time in FSX with planes like Breifing Time And the Wings of Power bombers is getting to me.

I see there what could have of been for IL-2 with just that little extra work on the basics.

Akronnick
07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Or you can program the CH Throttle quadrant to handle all the button presses automatically.

Lots of information about how to program your CH gear here (http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/).

VW-IceFire
07-12-2007, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:

I think too much time in FSX with planes like Breifing Time And the Wings of Power bombers is getting to me.

I see there what could have of been for IL-2 with just that little extra work on the basics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think it was meant to get as far as it did. At first it was no twins...then they added the Heinkel and TB-3 and that was going to be it and then things sort of got out of hand for the developers. I'm pretty sure they wanted to move on and expand with a new game engine but IL-2 kept rolling along so they didn't get a chance to re-write allot of that stuff that I'm sure they wanted to.

I'd be mighty surprised if Battle of Britain doesn't come with this stuff straight from the beginning designed from the ground up.

Considering we have what we do from a sim engine that was meant for a single plane...the IL-2.

M_Gunz
07-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by horseback:
Try this: Assign one of those axes to Flaps, one to Elevator Trim, one to Prop Pitch, and one to Throttle. I'm assuming you have rudder pedals and a decent stick (possibly even CH).

Assign a button to Select Left Engine(s), another to Select Right Engine(s), and a third button to Select All Engines. That's all you really need. The Toggle commands are a waste of time, IMO.

It needs two buttons to be done cleanly and not needing to jockey the throttle.
Left button; select left engine and increase 5%, select right engine and decrease 5% then
select both engines. Right button; mirror left button but at end, select both engines.

After that, left button may be hit multiple times if you want big difference and afterwards
you can synch both by simply moving the throttle (if that falses on you then don't even try)
and the new input goes to both engines.

It may not help at though. As one member pointed out to me last year he was told by a beta
that even when you do engine power differentials it doesn't work right. I dunno. I did
set up a P-38 as above (or something like it, might have only increased the side buttoned,
I posted what I did back then) and it seemed different to me. Certainly on the ground it
doesn't take that much difference to turn the P-38 but I can't say in air just how it should
act especially with me controlling -- unlike many I don't believe I am an expert test pilot.

Perhaps check with Kuna (different name now, I forget the new one) about it.

M_Gunz
07-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Did we have any flyable multi's in original IL2?

leitmotiv
07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I feel your pain, Stuntie. I'm spending most of my time in FSX now. I just did some IL-2-ing last night (offline) and had to admit it was the king of the combat flight sims but for lack of 6 DOF (grrr grrr). I am a "bomber boy"---not really crazy about fighters except when I have a need to displace a heavy load of wrath. I enjoy the hazards of night bomber missions and wish we had them in IL-2. SO roll on BOB! I want me Blenheim, Heinkels, and me 110C!!!! And, it will be nice to be able to throw the crates around through clever use of my CH throttles! Cheers!

ake109
07-12-2007, 07:53 PM
I feel your pain, Stuntie. I'm spending most of my time in FSX now. I just did some IL-2-ing last night (offline) and had to admit it was the king of the combat flight sims but for lack of 6 DOF (grrr grrr). I am a "bomber boy"---not really crazy about fighters except when I have a need to displace a heavy load of wrath. I enjoy the hazards of night bomber missions and wish we had them in IL-2. SO roll on BOB! I want me Blenheim, Heinkels, and me 110C!!!! And, it will be nice to be able to throw the crates around through clever use of my CH throttles! Cheers!

I want the Fw200! Hoping to have some decent ship AI so we can finally see some decent air-to-sea action.

Waldo.Pepper
07-12-2007, 08:38 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/barry%20goldwter/160px-BarryGoldwater.jpg

"Ranting in the discussion of Il-2 is no vice. "

Apology rejected as there is no need. With such a a great game such as this - passionate opinions deserve considerable latitude.

leitmotiv
07-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ake109:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:

I want the Fw200! Hoping to have some decent ship AI so we can finally see some decent air-to-sea action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROLL ON BOB!!!! If only for bombers. P.S. ake109 if you are really aching for a Fw 200 (as I am) download MAW. They have Fw 200 missions in the Med. Get it where you can!

leitmotiv
07-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yes, sorry it is a bit of a rant, so apologies for that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/barry%20goldwter/160px-BarryGoldwater.jpg

"Ranting in the discussion of Il-2 is no vice. "

Apology rejected as there is no need. With such a a great game such as this - passionate opinions deserve considerable latitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one, Waldo!

LStarosta
07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by p-11.cAce:

Sorry, that is still not an excuse for mediocrity.

leitmotiv
07-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Steady on, if IL-2 is mediocre, what's that make the rest of the field in the WWII combat flight sim category? And, what is best? Clearly you would have to argue the best exists in a possible future (assuming BOB is successful) which is a tenuous argument. Therefore, what is the present tense best? If IL-2 is mediocre, what is passable? What is good? I think labeling IL-2 mediocre is rah-thar thin, perhaps a bit provocative, maybe a little on the spleen-favoring side?

msalama
07-13-2007, 01:18 AM
I think labeling IL-2 mediocre is rah-thar thin, perhaps a bit provocative, maybe a little on the spleen-favoring side?

+1

U is right Leitmotiv.

Now as we know there're plenty of errors, simplifications, modelling inaccuracies & omissions in this game, but it STILL rawks IMO. Why? Because its overall feeling of flight and its generic (or, should we say, framework) flight modelling is very good compared to pretty much anything else out there. I don't know if it's just me, but every other sim I've ever tried - civvie or combat - has always felt somehow inert and dead to me compared to this bugger, so it's pretty clear that Oleg got at least SOMETHING right!

And besides, if IL-2 really is c**p then what the hell are we lot doing here anyway??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Stuntie
07-13-2007, 01:48 AM
What system would you recommend, rather than the one we have now?

1C:Maddox read these forums, I am sure they will take onboard any good suggestions you have on this subject.

It doesn't need a new system. They just need to finish off the one they started.

The hard part, code wise, is already in (though as posted noted it may need some work for engine differentials).
Basically we have twin engine support, but via selection switching. All that is needed is to add the extra axis in, and to add in a set of direct actions, to supplement the combinations currently in use.

Define Engine one as the primary engine, and add in axis support for further engines.
If axis are not defined for Engine 2 then it defaults to primary axis controlling both engines.

Axis:
Throttle
Throttle Engine 2
Prop pitch
Prop pitch Engine 2
Mixture (go on add a mixture axis whilst you are at it. You know you want too.)
Mixture Engine 2

Buttons:
Start Engine 1 I
Start Engine 2 Shift I
Feather 1 F (or whatever)
Feather 2 Shift F
Extinguish 1 E
Extinguish 2 Shift E
Etc.

The aim here is to bypass the selection macros to get straight to the engine you need.

For bonus points you could extend the current controls to add in multi engine support for 4 engines or more, which would allow the heavies to be implemented (or that crazy siamese twin HE111).

leitmotiv
07-13-2007, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by msalama:
Now as we know there're plenty of errors, simplifications, modelling inaccuracies & omissions in this game, but it STILL rawks IMO. Why? Because its overall feeling of flight and its generic (or, should we say, framework) flight modelling is very good compared to pretty much anything else out there. I don't know if it's just me, but every other sim I've ever tried - civvie or combat - has always felt somehow inert and dead to me compared to this bugger, so it's pretty clear that Oleg got at least SOMETHING right!

And besides, if IL-2 really is c**p then what the hell are we lot doing here anyway??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Absolutely. And, no other WWII combat flight sim touches it for integrating human eye with the virtual world so that you can see in the sky and from the sky to the ground. All the others (BOB II, MAW) don't cut it---or it is me because I am for all intents and purposes blind in the others. This fact sank in on me this week, and, for this reason alone, I would rate IL-2 top. If you can't see, you can't play. Now I do regret IL-2 doesn't have 6 DOF---this is a huge omission. And, this is why I'll never use it again after BOB hits my HD.

K_Freddie
07-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Never had a problem with multi-engine aircraft. You have to know what you're doing.. that's all
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

leitmotiv
07-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Truly, a master of the universe....

ploughman
07-13-2007, 04:23 AM
no other WWII combat flight sim touches it for integrating human eye with the virtual world so that you can see in the sky and from the sky to the ground. All the others (BOB II, MAW) don't cut it---or it is me because I am for all intents and purposes blind in the others. This fact sank in on me this week, and, for this reason alone, I would rate IL-2 top. If you can't see, you can't play. Now I do regret IL-2 doesn't have 6 DOF---this is a huge omission. And, this is why I'll never use it again after BOB hits my HD.

I'll second that, I couldn't see a thing in BoB WoV II so it got old very quickly.

leitmotiv
07-13-2007, 04:42 AM
It's a curious thing. I noticed it in MAW yesterday. I have far better visibility in the MAW 110 because of 6 DOF yet something about the graphics presentation (cartoony compared to IL-2) disoriented me when scanning sky and ground. BOB II was just hopeless. I could never spot other aircraft unless they were in huge formations. Everything looked calico---sky and ground.

SeaVee
07-13-2007, 04:43 AM
Try it with the summer terrain mod which will be the 'official' terrain soon. Makes a big difference seeing the A/C against the ground.

M_Gunz
07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Possible to devicelink something but that is offline. Have we the limited online devicelink yet?

striker-85
07-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I wrote a CMS script for the CH Throttle Quad for differential engine control. It emulates 2 separate engine axis.

The big difference I have seen with my script is that you don't have to select an engine first, it automatically selects the engine and changes the pitch and power as you move the levers. All of the other CMS scripts I had seen on CH Hanger required you to toggle a switch to select the engine before moving the power or pitch lever for an engine.

With my script you can adjust both engines independently and at the same time just like if you had two engines axis. I can taxi twin engines planes pretty easily just by using differential power. I can also get much tighter turns in P-38 now.

If there is any interest I could post it. I haven't posted yet because I'm not done with it. Right now the script controls power and pitch for 2 engines.

I still wanted to do the following:

Control Mixture with the last 2 levers.

Mode switch to toggle between 2 engine and 4 engine control.

I have been using my script for about a year and it works for about 99% of what I need so I have been too lazy to finish it off.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
no other WWII combat flight sim touches it for integrating human eye with the virtual world so that you can see in the sky and from the sky to the ground. All the others (BOB II, MAW) don't cut it---or it is me because I am for all intents and purposes blind in the others. This fact sank in on me this week, and, for this reason alone, I would rate IL-2 top. If you can't see, you can't play. Now I do regret IL-2 doesn't have 6 DOF---this is a huge omission. And, this is why I'll never use it again after BOB hits my HD.

I'll second that, I couldn't see a thing in BoB WoV II so it got old very quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You chaps are aware that the air to air scenes in the Battle of Britain movie were filmed on cloudy days in the end because the cameras had problems seeing aircraft against ground and sky? Check it out next time you watch it. Just thought you'd be interested.

Now, as for twin-engined aircraft has anyone mentioned the Westland Whirlwind yet and how easy it would be to insert in sim as it didn't use cross-feed fuel tanks? - one thing less for programmers to worry about d'you see? Thought not, carry on.

ploughman
07-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes knew that.

I'm not a camera.

Westland Whirlwind for teh whin!

Targ
07-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Akronnick:
Or you can program the CH Throttle quadrant to handle all the button presses automatically.

Lots of information about how to program your CH gear here (http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/).

Yes, why are you not using the CH software? Than all of your CH gear will only be listed as one devise rather than 4. Best to spend time on the CH hanger forum and learn to use your devises properly than complain here.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
07-13-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm not a camera.
But I bet you're a member... 'CAMRA' geddit? A little phonetic humour to lighten the atmosphere there.

Badger's Arse FTW. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ploughman
07-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Sorry if I seemed a bit Arsey. http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

Low_Flyer_MkVb
07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
My fault...not one of my best one-liners http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

ploughman
07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Don't be silly, entirely my fault. I shall be nice to one of the staff in recompense.

Say, have thee checked out the Bassoon section: Beethoven's 9th at the Proms?

Dang!

leitmotiv
07-13-2007, 07:31 PM
All this got me to finally get out the the CH throttle quadrant I bought eleven months ago, used for a few months, and put away when I went back to single seat stuff. Yessir, a different kind of flying altogether, and to really get it down I wish I had some enormous piece of steel sitting on the floor next to me, Lanc or Boeing-style, with handles jutting out all over the place like steel asparagus---a MAN'S kind of instrument, not this ridiculous, little, delicate, rinky-dinky, kitchen implement balderdash made by CH which would make Martha Stewart laugh her head off ("You call THAT a kitchen implement? You have gotta be kidding, mister! Let me show you METAL!").

Bearcat99
07-13-2007, 11:10 PM
MACROS..... ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

With 6 axis, 24 buttons and the CH software Id be looking in the mirror if I couldn't simulate twin engine support fairly well.

M_Gunz
07-14-2007, 10:11 AM
BC, I've only got one throttle lever and there's a fundamental problem trying to use it for
2+ engines at different settings -- select left engine and move lever, now lever is not where
the second engine power was set. Take it from there, right?
That's why I ended up trying with buttons and move the lever puts both engines same power.

Now if you have two programmable throttles....

Bearcat99
07-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
BC, I've only got one throttle lever and there's a fundamental problem trying to use it for
2+ engines at different settings -- select left engine and move lever, now lever is not where
the second engine power was set. Take it from there, right?
That's why I ended up trying with buttons and move the lever puts both engines same power.

Now if you have two programmable throttles....

Well with one throttle lever you would have to have a way to work both at the same time.... The poster said:

Tried some twin engine planes as I have a CH Quad throttle so can mimic the twin engine set up.

With a throttle quad..........