PDA

View Full Version : Expand 1C to handle >= 2 projects concurrently

meina222
12-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Mr. Maddox, is the following realistic?

After developing the BoB engine, hire more programmers and put in the pipeline more than 1 project: say BoB followed in < 1 year by a separate Korean War sim etc etc.

While human factor is probably the biggest obstacle (finding capable people to keep up with the high standard already set by the franchise) and $ is certainly always an issue, imagine the profit that such an expansion would generate (basically for every Il-2 user you will get a new customer for any other project + many more, the return is guaranteed.)

And then we have one MSoft (Maddoxsoft) to rule them all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif + many ecstatic users to erect your statue (hell why not - even Silvester Stalone has one up here in Philly.)

Regards, Meina

meina222
12-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Also, every expansion of existing products that includes new planes should come at a reasonable cost to help this growth - just look at the crowd of $-makers in FS2004. I'm sure everyone would agree to such a fair trade-off.

Aaron_GT
12-13-2004, 02:19 PM
WolfMondo and I reckoned that to hire an extra three people would cost about 200,000 a year at UK programmer prices. Russian prices are probably equivalent in terms of purchasing power parity, although less in terms, probably. How much 1C:Maddox gets per unit sold I don't know, but it probably represents a big chunk of sales to hire 3 extra people. Even more reason to be vigilant over people downloading warez versions...

Bearcat99
12-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Considering that what @ 70,000+ copies of PF alone were stolen from 1C... you figure at bargain basement prices of $30 a pop... thats $2,100,000 gone. The figures were probably higher and of course you know that PF sold.. at least in the US for more than $30. So......... think about it.

Aaron_GT
12-14-2004, 01:42 AM
I would imagine that Oleg makes maybe $5 from each copy (guessing on typical markups and margins). Some of the copies stolen probably represent people who later bought it anyway, and some that would never had bought it at full price.

So assuming that one in three are true lost sales then it represents about $120,000 lost revenue directly to 1C:Maddox. At Russian software engineer costs that might well be the extra 3 staff I suggested would cost around 150-200k to employ (plus offices, taxes, equipment, software) in the UK.

Maybe another way to look at it is that it probably represents a dozen features such as support for leaning in the cockpit that there isn't the money to employ people to support.

WWMaxGunz
12-14-2004, 06:48 AM
Oleg had posted months ago that they do look for people regularly (at least then)
but finding qualified applicants as wanted is another matter. Maybe since then
they have new faces, or a new face?

meina222
12-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Well, my point was - look at companies like Blizzard Entertainment - they always have at least 2 projects in the pipeline. I guess I was asking if Oleg ever considered this and could we expect such an expansion in in foreseeable future (mm not sure how this is spelled lol.)

TheGozr
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Bearcat
70,000 copies and UBI is entirely infault here aswell Oleg's fault to trust the UBI staff.
You can give my email to oleg i can explain easly how it happened.

meina222
12-15-2004, 08:51 PM
I don't know about a game title which has not lost a ton of $ from piracy. This is something of a fixed loss in today's world.

WUAF_Badsight
12-15-2004, 10:13 PM
a Maddox Korean Sim would be the ultimate DFing Combat Flight Sim ever

FACT

WWMaxGunz
12-16-2004, 02:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meina222:
Well, my point was - look at companies like Blizzard Entertainment - they always have at least 2 projects in the pipeline. I guess I was asking if Oleg ever considered this and could we expect such an expansion in in foreseeable future (mm not sure how this is spelled lol.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What expertise is needed to make the kind of games Blizzard does?

Compare to IL2.

meina222
12-17-2004, 06:29 PM
I do not compare type of games but rather size(e.g. ability to put together 2 teams and work on 2 projects at the same time.)

I think both companies make rather complex games (with 1C perhaps more so from pure scientific point of view due to all calculations)

Tully__
12-17-2004, 06:49 PM
To get an idea of how hard it is to find people who're good enough:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:
...just 4 guys in the world doing currently 3D models for our sim with no bugs... Sorry to tell it.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Original post is here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=8561094352&r=1391005352#1391005352)