PDA

View Full Version : How much does recording a track affect FPS?

Noxx0s
12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Just wondering... if I start a track at the beginning of a mission and let it run all the way through (say an hour long mission), how much does it affect FPS, if at all?

Bearcat99
12-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Not very much.. you may initially get a little burp but that's it..

M_Gunz
12-16-2010, 06:28 AM
If you wonder about the CPU load of that, it's why I make UDPSpeed logs during track playback instead of in-game.

If your system HD hasn't been defragged in a long time there might be a hit.

horseback
12-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Back in the day, when I was running an Athlon 2600xp machine with 1Gb of DDR RAM, it was not unusual for a long mission on a large map (I can think of one occasion on the Leningrad/Finland map) to cause problems, not in the running of the mission, but in the saving of it.

I'd finish the mission, flex my fingers a bit and then click on the record mission button, and watch the game promptly crash, not even saving the credit for the mission & making me fly it again; I came to the conclusion that the RAM was probably the limiting factor, because later missions saved once I got 2 or more GB of DDR2 RAM never caused so much as a hiccup.

cheers

horseback

Romanator21
12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
It also has to with what characters you type in to save the track as. I can't remember exactly, but the game cannot write the file if it has "-" in the name, and so the game crashes.

If you manually change the name of the file once it's been saved, you can see which symobls are prohibited.