PDA

View Full Version : B17 Flying Bombs...

MB_Avro_UK
12-19-2005, 05:31 PM
hi all,

At present I'm reading a book called 'Tail End Charlies' by John Nichol and Tony Rennell.

It recounts the sacrifices by RAF Bomber Command and the USAF in the last two years of WW2.Amongst the many interesting and gallant accounts the following is worthy of note.

It relates to the V2 Rocket attacks on London and how the USAF attempted to deal with the launch sites.

They created a secret squadron of B17s that were guided by radio control to their target by a 'mother' B17.The targets were deep underground and could not be hit by conventional bombing.

The bomb-loaded B17 was crewed by a single pilot and an engineer who armed the plane. Both baled out as they left England and the plane was controlled by the mother ship to the target.

Thae attacks were not completely successful amd there were losses to the B17 crews.

Any B17 pilot who volunteered was given 3 mission credits!!!

If you don't believe me read the book!

Best Regards,
MB_Avro

berg417448
12-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Joe Kennedy died that way...except his particular plane was a Navy PB4Y Liberator.

http://www.aviationmuseum.net/Joe_Kennedy.htm

MB_Avro_UK
12-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Joe Kennedy died that way...except his particular plane was a Navy PB4Y Liberator.

hi berg,
This is also mentioned in the book.Had an effect on the future US Precidency?

Best Regards,
MB_Avro

berg417448
12-19-2005, 05:50 PM
I think so. I seem to recall reading that Joe was supposed to be the one who was being groomed to run for president someday instead of John.

Low_Flyer_MkII
12-19-2005, 07:16 PM
The converted B17's had an open cockpit to facilitate a speedy exit for the 2 crew, and were fitted with television cameras.....

"Late in World War II, at least 25 B-17s were fitted with radio controls, loaded with 12,000 lb (5443 kg) of high explosives, dubbed 'BQ-7 Aphrodite missiles,' and used against U-boat pens and bomb-resistant fortifications. Because few (if any) BQ-7s hit their target, the Aphrodite project was scrapped in early 1945. History of the BQ-7 During and after World War II, a number of weapons were tested and used operationally on B-17's. Some of these weapons included razons (radio guided), glide bombs, and JB-2 Thunderbugs - the equivalent of the German V-1 Buzz Bomb".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Aphrodite

Interesting stuff. Mentioned in Roger Freeman's 'The Mighty Eighth', with photos.