PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain books ?

bhunter2112
10-09-2005, 09:23 PM
I was looking for a good battle of britain book. I actually collect Osprey books but they seem to have no sole BOB book. I prefer the style of the osprey books, maps, photo's, aircraft profiles, etc... not just text. Anyone have a good one to recomend?

wayno7777
10-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Two that I have are "Fighter" by Len Deighton
and The "Few". Sorry can't remember the authors.....Thx fluke39 _ Philip Kaplan & Richard Collier

Waldo.Pepper
10-09-2005, 09:45 PM
From the other side - Spitfire on my tail by Ulrich Steinhilper is excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/187283600...nce&s=books&n=507846 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1872836003/qid=1128915859/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7352781-1612636?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

bhunter2112
10-10-2005, 12:51 AM
mahalo for the input. seems odd that osprey being an english company would not have a BOB book...unless i am missing it?

F19_Olli72
10-10-2005, 01:34 AM
"Fighter Boys" by Patrick Bishop is an excellent book http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif. Also covers a bit about prewar training and some of Battle of France. Not a lot of what you looking for..maps, profiles etc though.

ImpStarDuece
10-10-2005, 02:02 AM
I recommend 'The Narrow Margin' by Derek Woods and Derek Webster as the best general history of the Battle of Britain.

It has an ntroduction written by old 'Stuffy' himself. The first half deals with all the factors leading up to the war and contributing to the battle itself. Rise of the Luftwaffe, expansion of Fighter Command, the CRO, radar, production, ect, ect. The second half is a day-by-day account of the Battle from July through to the end of October. Detailed appendicies on losses, production and imports of aircraft.

fluke39
10-10-2005, 03:06 AM
As far as "factual "books (meaning not a novel/story) i have two:

the Battle of Britain by Jon lake
and The Few by philip Kaplan & Richard Collier.

the first book(tbob) is really good imo and is better than the second( the few)although this also has its own merits. I picked both up from end of line book stores (eg "the works") which are always good places to pick up war books ( the few should have cost 25 but cost 4.99)

However i would be willing to bet there are many books out there with the same titles - some of which may be good some bad)

Fighter boys by patrick bishop (as mentioned before) is darn good and does cover the battle very well, although it is written in more of a story way.(which might not be what your after)

as far as novels are concerned "First light" by Geoffrey Wellum i find to be a not too well known (possible as it was only relased a year or so ago) but very good book written by a bob spitfire pilot.

bolox00
10-10-2005, 03:32 AM
'MOST DANGEROUS ENEMY' by STEPHEN BUNGAY ticks most of the boxes i am looking for- not massive amount of pics but tends to be my first port of call on BoB for info.
ISBN 1-85410-801-8

As a 'coffee table' book 'THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN' by JON LAKE (ISBN 1-85605-535-3) ain't too bad and has loads of pics/ profiles

Rooting around in seconhand bookshops can be worthwhile particularly for the later kind of book-pot luck but usually relatively cheap

panther3485
10-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi there!

'The Battle of Britain', by Richard Townshend Bickers (and other contributors). The edition I have was published by Salamander Books.

This would also have to be among the best books on the subject and is chock full of data.

It contains the expected orders of battle, technical appraisals of the aircraft involved, historical account/analysis etc. In addition, it also has an extraordinary amount of statistical and tabulated information along with some very well drawn diagrams showing tactics and what happened in many of the larger engagements. It ends with a chronology of the Battle, brief summaries of the exploits of the RAF aces and a full 'Roll of Honour' listing the names of all Aircrew who fought under Fighter Command during BoB.

Definitely worth a look, if you can find a copy.

Best regards,
panther3485

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Duel of Eagles by Peter Townsend is a fantastic book about the Battle of Britain and starts laying the ground work in WWI. Highly recommended.

TB

Chuck_Older
10-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Duel of Eagles by Peter Townsend is a fantastic book about the Battle of Britain and starts laying the ground work in WWI. Highly recommended.

TB

great book

I also recommend "the Right of the Line" which can be very dry but it's a scholarly treatise of practicaly everything RAF in WWII

Arm_slinger
10-10-2005, 09:46 AM
The Most Dangerous Enemy, by Stephen Bungay is a fantastic read. I really would recommend it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Air_Bomber
10-10-2005, 10:19 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071385452/102-8327559...155&s=books&v=glance (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071385452/102-8327559-0244909?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance)

This is a good book too. I picked mine up at a used book store for $5. Some really nice pencil illustrations too.

GreyFox5
10-10-2005, 10:29 AM
TgD Thunderbolt56 got it. Duel of Eagles by Peter Townsend. I just bought it reciently and its in my queue for reading.... Found on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/184212211...751?v=glance&s=books (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1842122118/qid=1128961466/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-9069499-5888751?v=glance&s=books)

F19_Ob
10-10-2005, 12:14 PM
I have a big book wich was reprinted (i think)
1997 with the title "the battle of Britain"
ISBN 0 86101 934 2 by Salamander books.
It has many co-authors but Richard townshend Bickers is named first and on the cover.
Dimensions: 26cm x 28cm. 208 pages.

Full of photos new and old, pilotaccounts and battlemaps and drawings of bomberwaves and dates ov event on the maps.
Sections about luftwaffe and raf with cutaways of most common planes and some pilots perspectives and general tactics with diagrams and illustrations, aswell as a few photos of pilots gear and attributes from both sides.
Last section is a wardiary with dates and events listed day by day and some misc. info.

In addition to textbooks and biographies I warmly recommend this one.

F19_Ob
10-10-2005, 12:17 PM
hehe...I saw now someone aready posted about my suggestion.
Well, se it as additional info.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-10-2005, 12:18 PM
As mentioned, 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' is a sound read. Not too many pictures, though.

Ta,
Norris

Low_Flyer_MkII
10-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bhunter2112:
mahalo for the input. seems odd that osprey being an english company would not have a BOB book...unless i am missing it?

Most of the Osprey series is broken down into 'plane types - e.g. 'Spitfire MkI/II Aces', 'Hurricane Aces', etc. Look out for types relevant to the BoB.

As mentioned above, 'Fighter Boys' by Patrick Bishop is a great read.

Oilburner_TAW
10-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by bolox00:
'MOST DANGEROUS ENEMY' by STEPHEN BUNGAY ticks most of the boxes i am looking for- not massive amount of pics but tends to be my first port of call on BoB for info.
ISBN 1-85410-801-8

As a 'coffee table' book 'THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN' by JON LAKE (ISBN 1-85605-535-3) ain't too bad and has loads of pics/ profiles

Rooting around in seconhand bookshops can be worthwhile particularly for the later kind of book-pot luck but usually relatively cheap

Another vote for "The Most Dangerous Enemy". An excellent book.

tomtheyak
10-10-2005, 04:52 PM

TB

Ditto.. to the power 'n' !
I really cannot recommend a better book - by a BoB pilot, who spent 5 (i think) years touring GB and Germany to interview those involved on all sides and create one of the most comprehensive books on the experience of the battle, without the dry, heavy statistics that later books can rely on. the ground work can be slow but is needed to answer the important questions raised by the battle.
I found it moving, evocative and poigniant - READ IT!

'First Light',Geoffery Wellum - again a very personal, but highly absorbing read - no fiction book I've ever read comes close.

'Battle of Britain', author(s) unknown, publisher: Salamander (early '90s)
Edit - as per F19_Ob's recommendation

- this hefty blue tome is an excellent book full of first rate pics, diagrams and a comprehensive analysis of the battle - a good all rounder.
I only wish most of my books weren't in storage; I do miss it so!

DxyFlyr
10-10-2005, 05:54 PM
I'll second 'First Light' by Wellum. As mentioned it is a personal account... not a lot of macro BoB information, but I'll say this is one of my all time favorite reads. No kidding.

Reading Townsend's 'Duel of Eagles' right now. Learning a lot about the birth of the Luftwaffe and the RAF. There's some interesting behind the scenes info of the principal players in there. Also a good read.

wayno7777
10-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Some others would be "Reach for the Sky" by Paul Brickhall, the Douglas Bader story. "Fly for Your Life" by Larry Forrester, the R.R.Stanford Tuck story. And "The First and the Last" by Adolph Galland. I believe there is another book by Peter Townsend besides "Duel of Eagles" but the kids are asleep and it's in one of their rooms....

Shaka bra!!!

major_setback
10-11-2005, 03:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DxyFlyr:
I'll second 'First Light' by Wellum. As mentioned it is a personal account... not a lot of macro BoB information, but I'll say this is one of my all time favorite reads. No kidding....

QUOTE]

True, true...it is very good indeed. It's written openly and honestly, with both passion and compassion. We get to re-live the fears of a mere boy flying in a mans war.

Brilliantly written in a suprisingly modern style...It reads like a novel.

Ruy Horta
10-11-2005, 01:08 PM
I agree with Chuck.

Right of the Line as probably the best single reference on the RAF in WW2. Indeed a bit dry, but there is little left out (other than combat stories). Also an excellent bibliography and notes section. Could start you on your research.

If you want detail, there is little that can be added to The Battle of Britain - Then and Now, which is an unsurpassed piece of research and a BIG book.

But like everything in life it depends much on what you are after.

I am personally partial to the older Battle over Britain by Mason, which is comparable to equally old The Narrow Margin and the more recent The Most Dangerous Enemy.

You can fill a whole library on the Battle of Britain alone!

DxyFlyr
10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Hey Major, I just realized that you were the third to second 'First Light'. Now we just need someone to drive it home. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dunkelgrun
10-11-2005, 01:26 PM
I'll drive it home!

'First Light' by Geoffrey Wellum
'Most Dangerous Enemy' by Stephen Bungay
'The Narrow Margin' by Derek Wood & Derek Dempster
plus one not mentioned yet...
'The Hardest Day' by Alfred Price.
All essential reading IMHO.

Also not bad is...
'The Luftwaffe Fighters Battle of Britain' by Chris Goss or
'Fighter' by Len Deighton.

Cheers!

major_setback
10-11-2005, 06:30 PM
I just looked in my bookcase (looking for Fighter Boys) and I found two books (unread)that I'd forgotten were there!

1. Fighter Pilot by Wing Commander Paul Richey. According to Group Captain Pete Townsend it's "The first and finest story of a fighter pilot in World War Two".

2. Spitfire Ace: flying the Battle of Britain by Martin Davidson and James Taylor. (A Sunday Times Bestseller). This was apparently made into a TV series for Channel Four (UK).

Both of these I picked up at Ottakers in the UK early this summer.

Haukeye
10-11-2005, 07:56 PM

TB

Hey, here's a book you might like Tbolt, as it's got your namesake in the title. A great read, for me anyways. It's called
"Spitfires, Thunderbolts, and Warm Beer, An American Fighter Pilot over Europe", written by Philip D. Caine, published Brassey's, of London. He follows an American pilot who signed on with the British before America got into the war and follows his exploits while over there.
I liked it so much I went out and bought a copy after reading one copy I found in a local library. Check it out.

Haukeye

nickdanger3
10-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Their Finest Hour - second volume of Winston Churchill's six volume history of WWII.

A must read for those interested in the BoB.

bhunter2112
10-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the input. This board is a wealth of info.

Dunkelgrun
10-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by major_setback:
I just looked in my bookcase (looking for Fighter Boys) and I found two books (unread)that I'd forgotten were there!

1. Fighter Pilot by Wing Commander Paul Richey. According to Group Captain Pete Townsend it's "The first and finest story of a fighter pilot in World War Two".

2. Spitfire Ace: flying the Battle of Britain by Martin Davidson and James Taylor. (A Sunday Times Bestseller). This was apparently made into a TV series for Channel Four (UK).

Both of these I picked up at Ottakers in the UK early this summer.

Paul Richey's 'Fighter Pilot' is about the Battle of France, not BoB. Good book all the same. I have a wartime edition and was disappointed to discover it wasn't worth millions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Don't know about the book but 'Spitfire Ace' was a ****e set of programmes; eye candy only, apart from the interviews with Bob Doe, Sandy Sanders and others which were superb. If they'd left out all of the reality TV **** and simply made a documentary featuring those guys it would have been superb.

Cheers!

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Haukeye:
Hey, here's a book you might like Tbolt, as it's got your namesake in the title. A great read, for me anyways. It's called
"Spitfires, Thunderbolts, and Warm Beer, An American Fighter Pilot over Europe", written by Philip D. Caine, published Brassey's, of London. He follows an American pilot who signed on with the British before America got into the war and follows his exploits while over there.
I liked it so much I went out and bought a copy after reading one copy I found in a local library. Check it out.

Haukeye

Thanks for the heads-up Hauk. I'll start looking for it this weekend. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TB