PDA

View Full Version : windows7 & conf. file

mitsco
05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I have il2 sturmovik f.b.I want to eleminate thegame subtitles.With wind xp I opened the conf. file & under [game] no subtitles=0 change the 0 to 1 click on File at the top and click Save in the drop box,close the file and its done.Easy Peasy.
Not so with wind7.After I click File and then Save,a "Save As" dialog box pops up.I click Save at the bottom right and another dialog box pops up, saying "Conf ini already exists.Do you want to replace it? Yes or No.Im not sure if I should click Yes because that File is touchy and I dont want to screw it up.
Any know the correct procedure to make the change I want?
Ive checked through the archives and found nothing regarding windows 7.
Thank for any help.

steve_v
05-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't know about correct procedure, but I click on conf file and it opens in notepad, I make the changes I want, click on the red x in the upper right hand corner of notepad, asks me if I want to Save, Don't Save, or Cancel. I click save and notepad closes.

mitsco
05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the reply Steve_v.
You must have Windows xp or vista.My conf file also opens with notepad and when I click on the red x you referred to I dont get the simple dialog box that you get.

steve_v
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by mitsco:

You must have Windows xp or vista.

Would I do that to you? No. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1.

By any chance, is your game folder in the C/ProgramFiles x86? If it is, it needs to be moved as 7 doesn't allow overwriting of files in that directory. Just asking.

Also, I have my UAC set to "Never Notify".

Maybe one of those two items explain the difference in folder behavior.

mitsco
05-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks again Steve_v.Problem solved!
The game folder is in c:\Program Files(x86),however, the whole problem was with the UAC setting.It was set to notify of any changes.I changed the setting to NEVER NOTIFY and I was then able to make the change I wanted in the conf file without those 2 dialog boxes appearing.Also, I didnt have to move the game folder.Nice to have the subtitles gone.
thanks again, help very appreciated.