PDA

View Full Version : Wings Of Honour WW1 Flight Sim

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:54 PM
I bought and returned this game within 2 hours of each other.

I already gave my review on another site i'll cut and paste in into here.

Wings Of Honour WW1 Flight Sim
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

There got the message.

Never before has a game remained on my Hard drive for such a small amount of time, it was on, played and off in less than an hour, thats a record, it is now on its way back to Amazon.

Now a serious bit, the game looks very American not that theres anything wrong with American, it just does not suit the 1916 - 1918 feel of a Royal Flying Corps game.

The game is very cartoony, even worse than the CFS2 intro. The whole game is pretty immature and feels very very arcade or games console type.

Do not buy it!! this game is not a serious flightsim and anyone playing IL2 sturmovik will be very disappointed when they fire this one up.

I could sit here and point out the flaws in the game for at least a couple of pages or so even though i have only played it for half an hour but i will not and the below wil ahve to do.

Flight model:
what flight model, the Camel i took for a test 'ride' performed countless outside loops at a very high speed without losing any 'E' and then on top of the loop i levelled off and went up at a climb angle of about 30 degs. then speed dropped slightly very quickly and remained constant, then it just went up like an elevator never slowing.

Damage model:
none, you hit the plane a few times it blows up in just the same way as the last one did.

Gameplay:
Pants! there is no instrumention (ie airspeed, alt. etc etc) The 'Dynamic Campaign' is a series of scripted missions.

Pah i am so not impressed that this game has already wasted enough of my time, so i shall stop here.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

classic out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ming Wrote:

"On realistic settings it did outside loops and that?"

What settings this game is so poor it does'nt even have that sort of settings to change, my camel for every mission flown, never got hot, never ran out of machine gun ammo, the guns just get a little hot and stop until they cool, and the plane is always carrying 10 bombs and 8 rockets (until you fire them of course) There is no ability to move your head around u look forward or you have a chase view, no instruments, the trees on the landscape are nothing more than little 'x' s when viewed from above. The tanks on the ground are untextured and totaly lacking detail, they have 5 basic visible surfaces, no such thing as turrets or anything like that.

The closest comparison to the flight and game model i have seen is Battlefields 1942 aircraft, a very arcadey shoot em up as i'm sure you are all aware, and even BF1942 the aircraft stall, unlike this pityfull excuse for a game.

I'm sorry for going on, on this subject, but i have a real soft spot for WW1 flight sims and this has been such a let down it has really hacked me off.

Wow i managed not to swear talking about the game, i should stop now before the red mist really takes over.

C u in the skies tonite, i advise you to stay out of the way of my plane tonite, theres gonna be a possesed demon at the controls.

heres a link to my review

http://www.europeanaf.org/indexie.html

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:54 PM
I bought and returned this game within 2 hours of each other.

I already gave my review on another site i'll cut and paste in into here.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

There got the message.

Never before has a game remained on my Hard drive for such a small amount of time, it was on, played and off in less than an hour, thats a record, it is now on its way back to Amazon.

Now a serious bit, the game looks very American not that theres anything wrong with American, it just does not suit the 1916 - 1918 feel of a Royal Flying Corps game.

The game is very cartoony, even worse than the CFS2 intro. The whole game is pretty immature and feels very very arcade or games console type.

Do not buy it!! this game is not a serious flightsim and anyone playing IL2 sturmovik will be very disappointed when they fire this one up.

I could sit here and point out the flaws in the game for at least a couple of pages or so even though i have only played it for half an hour but i will not and the below wil ahve to do.

Flight model:
what flight model, the Camel i took for a test 'ride' performed countless outside loops at a very high speed without losing any 'E' and then on top of the loop i levelled off and went up at a climb angle of about 30 degs. then speed dropped slightly very quickly and remained constant, then it just went up like an elevator never slowing.

Damage model:
none, you hit the plane a few times it blows up in just the same way as the last one did.

Gameplay:
Pants! there is no instrumention (ie airspeed, alt. etc etc) The 'Dynamic Campaign' is a series of scripted missions.

Pah i am so not impressed that this game has already wasted enough of my time, so i shall stop here.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

classic out.

Ming Wrote:

"On realistic settings it did outside loops and that?"

What settings this game is so poor it does'nt even have that sort of settings to change, my camel for every mission flown, never got hot, never ran out of machine gun ammo, the guns just get a little hot and stop until they cool, and the plane is always carrying 10 bombs and 8 rockets (until you fire them of course) There is no ability to move your head around u look forward or you have a chase view, no instruments, the trees on the landscape are nothing more than little 'x' s when viewed from above. The tanks on the ground are untextured and totaly lacking detail, they have 5 basic visible surfaces, no such thing as turrets or anything like that.

The closest comparison to the flight and game model i have seen is Battlefields 1942 aircraft, a very arcadey shoot em up as i'm sure you are all aware, and even BF1942 the aircraft stall, unlike this pityfull excuse for a game.

I'm sorry for going on, on this subject, but i have a real soft spot for WW1 flight sims and this has been such a let down it has really hacked me off.

Wow i managed not to swear talking about the game, i should stop now before the red mist really takes over.

C u in the skies tonite, i advise you to stay out of the way of my plane tonite, theres gonna be a possesed demon at the controls.

heres a link to my review

http://www.europeanaf.org/indexie.html

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 05:07 PM
So did you like it or not?

"We make war that we may live in peace."

Aristotle

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Heheh, I tried the accidently released demo version some months back and I agree- it sucks.

I see you disliked it marginly more than I did CFS-3.... I mean I kept that for a whole 16 hours /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 06:45 PM
BUMP

Because i feel the flight sim community should be aware of this to prevent anyone from inadvertantly (sp) buying it.

Also maybe if no-one buys it, maybe its producers will think next time they release a game.

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:01 PM
,I was at the flight sim show in Birmingham and they had their stand out and were showing the game off and handing out the demo disks.When i looked at the demo they were playing i asked about it and they told me that it WAS'NT a sim as such but an arcade type game.
Based on this info i did'nt buy it but my son [who is 6 years old,also has a go on the QMB IN f/b] ,just uses the demo version enjoys it,it is an arcade game for youngsters and not a serious flight sim.
I do wonder though how it was advertised in the shop and the game container/box,maybe you could take it back on that information.
All the best Trumper

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Good one, Classicaero . Agreeed. It`s a pile of ...(snip!)

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.
(Spitfire & Escape Whiner Member).

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:53 PM
If you want a WWI flight sim go out and find a copy of Red Baron 3d.....It's old, but has a great community behind it still updating it even though the makers ditched the flight sim market years ago.....DOn't be fooled either, the number of 3rd party patches by the players is astonishing...

Still a great sim and still getting better......You will however need a voodoo card (glide) for it to work well though.....However I myself run two cards so it is not really an issue for most.

.....Billfish / K2 / Kelly.....
Wielder of the Iron Skillet
......"Husband Tamer"......
Courage~Honor~Tenacity

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Fear not, i shall be returning it i have my contacts in high places that can sort it (i know a guy who runs my local GAME store and i know a sales exec at Amazon) Amazon is where i bought it and they have a "30 Day No Quibbles" exchange policy, all that they ask is that games should be returned fully packaged.

If you buy your games from a GAME store they will refund/exchange items 10 days after purchase without even asking why u want to swap.