PDA

View Full Version : DX9 vs DX10

voyager_663rd
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
A taste of what we might expect soon.

I found this website that analyzes some screenies from the new "Crysis" game, the first that claims to use DX10.

Pretty impressive pics. Look at them first with your mouse arrow off to the side. Then move the arrow over the pic (changes from DX9 to DX10).

http://webpages.charter.net/bliss/

VW-IceFire
11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
It'll make a big difference in about 2 years time I think. Until then the DX10 goodness will be limited to a few top end games and several more that really aren't stretching out its features.

OpenGL 2.0 is also pretty swanky and can some amazing looking things as well so I'm holding out high hopes that Oleg has turned things up a notch in Storm of War.

stansdds
11-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Yes, DX10 may be the answer, once Windows Vista is sorted out and games actually make use of DX10. Until then, I'm sticking with DX9 and Windows XP.

Codex1971
11-13-2007, 04:54 AM
DX10 games are here:

FSX
Eve
Bioshock
World in Conflict
Company of heros
Crysis which was released today
UT3 not long now

Visually yes DX10 is way better than DX9, but I suspect DX9's full potential is only now starting to come through. "Jericho" is a game you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a DX10, but it ain't.

As for Crysis, lot of people are finding that Crysis, is making a system with a 3.0Ghz CPU and a 8800GTX card start to struggle at high resolutions with max settings.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-13-2007, 06:56 AM
The difference on today's machines and today's DX10 games (yes, even high-end machines) just isn't dramatic enough to warrant the switch to DX10. But today's machines running DX10 games on DX9 look amazing.

Scen
11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
There is also one factor this thread doesn't really address. While DX10 can make things a tiny bit nicer the performance is cut by a huge amount. The games listed some of them are DX9 games made into DX10 games later on via a patch. Crysis was made from the ground up to be a DX10 game.

I see zero advantage running Vista at this point. Drivers have come a long way in the year DX10 cards have been out but I'm not impressed. Vista is still very fat and it's a fact games run slower. Plus you add in Drivers for all the hardware us Flight Simmers use and you have a good chance of having problems. It's not there yet. I give it until SP1 comes out and drivers mature before making such a move.

Don't believe me? Take a look at every article done by the major hardware websites and not one of them thinks DX10 and Vista are worth it. DX10 if anything doesn't add new features it reduces the overhead associated with running those apps while giving you more processing to make scenes more complex. So far it really doesn't deliver. Remember we are also on the first rev of hardware that supports DX10. Not that I'm knocking the power of an 8800GTX but even on SLI it can be brought to it's knees.

Just my 2 pennies

Codex1971
11-13-2007, 01:04 PM
The major thing holding back games on VISTA isn't that VISTA is bloated, which it is when not running games, it is the fact game developers have to restructure the way games run.

VISTA is way more efficient in code execution and utilization of multi-core CPU's, but it's how a game is written that will make the difference. Many of the reviews hardware sites publish use DX10 games, but I suspect those games don't have many of the VISTA optimisations included in their code, they still have the DX9 the "mentality" in their structure.

Games have to be written in such a way to take advantage of DX10 and VISTA's memory model, remember under VISTA, you're no longer separating the RAM, virtual ram and the video card ram, under VISTA it's all one chunk of memory, this is why bandwidth is so important for your hardware.

I'd say this time next year will be the golden age of VISTA, both in software and hardware. I'm running IL-1946 on VISTA Ultimate and have no issues, but I'll be upgrading my hardware soon.