PDA

View Full Version : Planes attack me hardly ever

LukeTheSilent
10-23-2005, 07:28 AM
I have completed about 50 patrols with 100% realism and I have been attacked by plane only ones. As far as I know there should be many air attack during patrol especially after May -42. However I can sail around the Brittish islands or Bay of Biscay even in -44 without seeing any plane.

So, is there any trick that I can get those missing planes "installed" into my game? Or is there "a property" in the game that planes are seen more often after you get more renown? I'm version 1.41b using RUb 1.44.

I am using a laptop with P4 2,6GHz and 512MB.

LukeTheSilent
10-23-2005, 07:28 AM
I have completed about 50 patrols with 100% realism and I have been attacked by plane only ones. As far as I know there should be many air attack during patrol especially after May -42. However I can sail around the Brittish islands or Bay of Biscay even in -44 without seeing any plane.

So, is there any trick that I can get those missing planes "installed" into my game? Or is there "a property" in the game that planes are seen more often after you get more renown? I'm version 1.41b using RUb 1.44.

I am using a laptop with P4 2,6GHz and 512MB.

Fekin_Von_dEtRi
10-23-2005, 08:11 AM
I have found it rather easy to get detected by enemy air units, and Im still in 1941.
Sail close to the UK coast, get spotted by some merchants and fishermen and they should start to come.

Some of my patrols have ended up with around 15 enemy air kills.

LukeTheSilent
10-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Well, I have tried almoust everything to be attacked by enemy air units. Also patrolling close of UK. And I also suppose I know places and situations where I should find the planes.

But the point is that is there some bug in the game causing that there are very few planes during first patrols regardless of the starting year. That could explain the planes in -41. So, does anyone have multible air attacks during his first patrols in -42 or -43?

paulhager
10-23-2005, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LukeTheSilent:
Well, I have tried almoust everything to be attacked by enemy air units. Also patrolling close of UK. And I also suppose I know places and situations where I should find the planes.

But the point is that is there some bug in the game causing that there are very few planes during first patrols regardless of the starting year. That could explain the planes in -41. So, does anyone have multible air attacks during his first patrols in -42 or -43? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was attacked by a Swordfish, first patrol, 1939. My sense is that being spotted by an enemy ship is a good way to get attacked.

Maj_Solo
10-23-2005, 04:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fekin_Von_dEtRi:
I have found it rather easy to get detected by enemy air units, and Im still in 1941.
Sail close to the UK coast, get spotted by some merchants and fishermen and they should start to come.

Some of my patrols have ended up with around 15 enemy air kills. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly, the event is triggered by merchants. I don'y know what to think of that , maybe it a good implementation or a bad one.

Kaleun1961
10-23-2005, 05:09 PM
This is one aspect of the game that is experienced in extremes. A good number of people complain about being swarmed by planes, which wasn't historically valid. Then once in a while someone has your experience.

On my latest patrol, August 1940 I saw my first plane in 9 patrols. One Hurricane came after my boat. Since there was only the one and I had my new IXB with two twin flakzwillig, I wanted to try them out. I had enough warning to dive, but as I said, I wanted to test the guns. Between myself and the other gunner we shot it down. A while after this the sky seemed to fill with Swordfishes.

This was close enough to land to have come from a naval air station, so I wasn't surprised to see them, just their numbers. Two came in to attack, and again we shot one down, the second being damaged. After that, for hour after hour until sunset I would see pairs of them coming close, but never to attack. It was when I zoomed out my map that I saw there was a taskforce nearby, from which I concluded they were flying from a carrier.

Unmodded, this game will send swarms of them your way as the war progresses. This is where the stock game is skewed. There are too many planes, but they are not as lethal as they should be and are way too easy to shoot down. I can't think of any U-boat which shot down a dozen planes in one patrol, let alone a whole career.

The Real U-boat mod, from what I've heard, reduces this swarming effect but makes aerial attacks more lethal, which to me seems a fairer compromise. In this game, you can often see more planes in one patrol than the real U-boat men would see over a whole career of patrols.

I play with a mod that adds lights to the merchant ships and Leigh lights to planes. I haven't yet seen any planes using their lights, so I'm asking here if anybody out there using this mod has been attacked by planes at night using radar and coming in on an attack run with those lights on? I'm wondering what horrors the future holds for my Kaleun as I get on in the war.

dajini92
10-23-2005, 05:55 PM
I've done about seven or eight patrols in 1939 and I've already had two cases of planes attacking me. Both were when I was within approximately 40km from the British coast.

Kaleun1961
10-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Yes, proximity to the U.K. is definitely a factor in this. As most of my careers are in larger boats, the closest I usually get is when rounding the coast of Scotland on my way to the Atlantic. Different story when the French bases open, until the Biscay nightmare begins.

Teddy Bar
10-23-2005, 06:03 PM
There are two issues at work here.

Issue 1, the possible appearence of aircraft appears to be badly effected when using high time compression. The solution to this is said to be mdifying the 3DRender=32 entry in the main.cfg file in your My Documents\SH3\data\cfg. There is a side effect of this, and that is this also controls the enabling/disabling of the fatigue effect. So if you modify the 3DRender=32 to 3DRender=1024, the fatigue will be operational at 1024 instead of stopping at 64x

2. The swarming of aircraft could be associated with the airbase files. For example, in the stock game the LAB_LargeAirBaseGB.cfg has an entry as per below. What determines how many of a particular aircraft are dispatched to you is determined by the Squadron1No=18 and Squadron2No=12 and so on. In these instances, 18 Hurricane Mk1's will be dispatched to you. I Squadron1No=18 was changed to Squadron1No=4, then 4 Hurricane Mk1's would be sent.

RUB addresses the second issue, though I am not fussed with it's aproach to fatigue or the way in which the u-boat sinks when taking on water.

I hope this helps.

[AirGroup 1]
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19401225
Squadron1Class=FBHurricaneMk1
Squadron1No=18
Squadron2Class=LBSSunderlandMKIII
Squadron2No=12

Kaleun1961
10-23-2005, 07:07 PM
This is really useful information. When I bumped by 3D render setting up, I would notice fatigued crew after coming out of time compression. Mystery solved, thanks!

I haven't yet seen a swarming of aircraft, mainly I guess because I am using the RUb mod. I'm wondering what would be a realistic upper limit in terms of aircraft sent. From what I've read of the Battle of the Atlantic, the swarming tactic was only used if the U-boats sailed out as a group to take advantage of mutual AA support. Once they U-boats sailed individually again, the planes again became solo hunters, in order to more effectively provide coverage. It makes sense that if 12 planes show up in one area, there are 12 other empty patrol zones.

Zog399
10-24-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm one of the ones that gets swarmed. Sometime they start within 100km of St. Nazaire. During the day I get attacked about every half hour. I've seen as many as a dozen planes at a time. Several times its been so thick that they have crashed into each other. Hurricanes, Sunderlands, PBYs, Wellingtons and B-24s (the worst). There isn't a relationship to being spotted (unless there's a spy at my base). It is equally bad along the coast of Spain and the UK.

So can I just change the numbers of planes listed in the LAB_LargeAirBaseGB.cfg file? Do I have to wait until the end of the cruise?

Pr0metheus 1962
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM
I've read that if you routinely run at 1024x TC or higher, that aircraft are less likely to spawn. Run at 512 or lower and they will spawn more often. I'm not sure how true that is. I tend to think it has to do with whether a player takes care not to be too visible (i.e. whether he routinely sails on the surface in daylight or not). I never sail surfaced in daylight and I rarely see planes.

Zog399
10-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I just looked at the AirBase cfg files. If I add up all the allies' planes for 1943 listed in the various files, I come up with:
Hurricanes=108
PBYs=100
B24s=62
Sunderlands=36
Wellingtons=18
Avengers=6
P38s=20

350 planes searching for one sub? Doesn't seem fair.

blastomatic1759
10-25-2005, 09:17 AM
pfft consider yourself lucky then , i just came back from a patrol around the florida , georgia area ( i encountered losts of traffic too ) but let one ship see you , run with the radar on or whatever , and uncle sam sends every B24 available to find you , all swarming in and stuff, i blasted a few of them before running out of ammo and having to return to base.. still waiting on that quad mount to be available.

Zatochi2005
10-25-2005, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LukeTheSilent:

I am using a laptop with P4 2,6GHz and 512MB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consider yourself lucky...
I only surface when I have to....1943

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8304/sh3img25102005758356095sk.th.jpg (http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sh3img25102005758356095sk.jpg)

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

LukeTheSilent
10-25-2005, 12:50 PM
I see that all of you having more planes than enough. However I think that my career without planes is even more unrealistic than yours. I am not saying that U-boats did shoot down dozens of planes but it would be nice to be sunk by plane some day. It is a little bit frustrating to sail out from French base in 1943 without beeing attacked least at once. Especially when you are looking for the best realism. And my game is not even pirate version...