PDA

View Full Version : hard keyboard handling in IL-2 1946

jarol11
10-06-2007, 05:22 AM
I find keyboard handling of aircraft in IL-2 1946 very hard - in fact its impossible to play the game with keyboard. You get into various fatal spins while turning or looping. This didn't happen in the original IL-2, where IL-2 aircraft could be flown with keyboard easily. There were no spins when doing loops or turning, unless loosing speed.

I found out in IL-2 1946 you can make a loop if you keep quickly pressing and releasing keys. But its impossible to play the game in this way. I would like to have an option to limit the maximum effect holding a key will have.

jarol11
10-06-2007, 05:22 AM
I find keyboard handling of aircraft in IL-2 1946 very hard - in fact its impossible to play the game with keyboard. You get into various fatal spins while turning or looping. This didn't happen in the original IL-2, where IL-2 aircraft could be flown with keyboard easily. There were no spins when doing loops or turning, unless loosing speed.

I found out in IL-2 1946 you can make a loop if you keep quickly pressing and releasing keys. But its impossible to play the game in this way. I would like to have an option to limit the maximum effect holding a key will have.

Skunk_438RCAF
10-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Get a joystick.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

joeap
10-06-2007, 06:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunk_438RCAF:
Get a joystick.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Oh and get a joystick.

Bearcat99
10-06-2007, 06:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarol11:
I find keyboard handling of aircraft in IL-2 1946 very hard - in fact its impossible to play the game with keyboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See the Nugget's Guide in my sig...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunk_438RCAF:
Get a joystick.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Oh and get a joystick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh... and get a joystick (http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/recprod.html)....

JG6_Oddball
10-06-2007, 09:30 AM
$20 new at walmart with rudder control, $2-$3 used any thrift store.

S!

VW-IceFire
10-06-2007, 09:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarol11:

I found out in IL-2 1946 you can make a loop if you keep quickly pressing and releasing keys. But its impossible to play the game in this way. I would like to have an option to limit the maximum effect holding a key will have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is probably because the flight model has changed allot from IL-2 to the current version. Forgotten Battles was somewhat different from the original IL-2 but it wasn't until after Pacific Fighters with patch 4.01 where the whole thing changed.

We now have a much more complex model in place and the keyboard was never really adequate but this will probably put it over the top.

I really do suggest getting a joystick...as everyone else said here. It seems like sort of an extravagant peripheral that you don't need but a stick really is the only way to do it properly...some people like gamepads too but I don't feel that the control is precise enough.

The Saitek range of sticks is well regarded and a pretty nifty looking Saitek Aviator joystick is on for $39.95 (USD) which is pretty reasonable. Some of us spend more (I spent $140 with rebates http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) for more stuff but for average pilot a much more basic stick will do (I flew for years with a pretty average Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 and its still pretty good minus some buttons that have stopped responding properly).