PDA

View Full Version : nvidia thingy

helpfulgf
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi,

Just wondered if someone could advise what game card (maybe wrong name for it) to purchase with a laptop so my partner can play IL2.
He mentioned something about 7300, or 7600, or 7900. I know nothing about any of this techy stuff and I want to organise it for him.
Thanks so much!

VW-IceFire
01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Most notebooks don't really have a discreet video solution. Most of them tend to use a built in afterthought sort of setup like the Intel GMA950 which is fine for sitting in Windows on a spreadsheet but not much good for Windows Vista running the fancy graphics mode or for doing any sort of gaming, multimedia application, or anything requiring 3D (IL-2 is definitely heavy on the 3D).

nVidia has the three numbers you've got there...GeForce Go7300, Go7600, and Go7800 and 7900.

All of the corporate propaganda can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforcego7.html

I don't know the benchmarks for the GeForce Go 7 series that well. I know the desktop ones better but you can be assured that the Go7900 will be the best performing (and also most expensive). You would probably do well with the Go7600 as well. The Go7300 won't be ideal.

mynameisroland
01-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi ,welcome to the forums.

Read this link it gives you a good idea of what cards you can get

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=39568

Nvidia GeForce Go7900GTX
Nvidia GeForce Go7800GTX
Nvidia GeForce Go7600GT

The cards are arranged in order of performance, generally speaking with Nvida the higher the number ie 7900 the better the card is - but also the more expensive.

rmorgansmith
01-22-2007, 06:53 PM
I have a Dell XPS M170 I bought last year, expensive but kick *** computer, gorgeous display, Nvidia Go7800 GTX, 1 gig ram. Works great for the game and all I need for work and play. Heavy to carry around but most people could use the exercise and I guarantee you it is pound for pound more useful than most of the garbage knucklehead carry on airplanes anyway.

Can't wait to see how it hums when I upgrade to the full 2 gig ram, it is plenty fast now, just have to keep buying stuff like food and fuel instead of RAM. May work better with updated drivers too but sometimes I am reluctant to change something that is working fine.

Any input or experience out there with new drivers? I am using the ones that shipped with the machine and have looked around and it looks like new ones are available but have seen posts that seem to indicate newer is not always better.