PDA

View Full Version : Roman ruins by Acre

shwayshway
11-08-2010, 12:52 AM
this has been bugging me for awhile now. does anyone here have any historical or at least in game info for the ruins found in between Acre and Jeruselem? i kno u can get a few flags there (like #44 for example) and i heard on a few others forums that there called "old roman ruins" but thats about all i can find out no matter where i look. ...?

SwitchBang
11-08-2010, 04:30 AM
ur not in rome therefore they arent roman ruins the are either Jewish or ruins
<span class="ev_code_RED">Racial slurs are against the </span> Forum Rules (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2961017947#II) <span class="ev_code_RED">and are not tolerated in any way. If you do this again, you will be on vacation. </span>

obliviondoll
11-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by SwitchBang:
<span class="ev_code_RED">Racial slurs are against the </span> Forum Rules (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2961017947#II) <span class="ev_code_RED">and are not tolerated in any way. If you do this again, you will be on vacation. </span>
You never studied ancient history, did you?

Kakashi590
11-08-2010, 05:00 AM
<span class="ev_code_RED">Racial slurs are against the </span> Forum Rules (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2961017947#II) <span class="ev_code_RED">and are not tolerated in any way. If you do this again, you will be on vacation. </span> did you not know that the Roman empire was one the biggest in history and was expanded across most of Europe and some of Asia?

O6EvolutionIXMR
11-08-2010, 09:47 AM

LoL. Thanks for the morning laugh. Needed that.

notafanboy
11-08-2010, 09:50 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/1zdxiir.jpg

O6EvolutionIXMR
11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
I like the part where he decided to refer to Middle Easterners as. Talk about ignorance.
Time to put the controller down for a bit a pick up a book.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pGflx4Xtrz0/Sbv09j3ypKI/AAAAAAAAAFM/zU0gXaOYMgc/s400/facepalm.jpg

notafanboy
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
what is a anyway ?
did he mean one of those white thing´s (sorry dont know what they are called in english) people wear on their head ?

Cornik22
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM
LOL I live in Spain and I don`t even have to go outside my city to find two bridges built by the romans. Oh ignorance...

Axel_assassins
11-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Damn! I have a problem arose! Characters are both digging in one spot, and begin to go only when I click on the TAB = (
ACII license

AnthonyA85
11-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by notafanboy:
what is a anyway ?
did he mean one of those white thing´s (sorry dont know what they are called in english) people wear on their head ?

They're called Turbans (not sure if the spelling is right), and yes, he did.

magesupermaster
11-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Axel_assassins:
Damn! I have a problem arose! Characters are both digging in one spot, and begin to go only when I click on the TAB = (
ACII license

What?!

AnthonyA85
11-08-2010, 10:26 AM
ACII license

Wait.....what....? *scratches head* that sentence doesn't make any sense.

glenneey
11-08-2010, 10:27 AM
what is a anyway ?

Do you mean the hat Achmed the dead terrorist wears?
If so i think anthony is right

Axel_assassins
11-08-2010, 10:39 AM
At me in Assassin's Creed II characters rise on a place and don't go anywhere! Revive only when I press TAB! Assassin's Creed II license
forgive me for my clumsy English
I use an online translator

notafanboy
11-08-2010, 10:48 AM
At me in Assassin's Creed II characters rise on a place and don't go anywhere! Revive only when I press TAB! Assassin's Creed II license
sorry but http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Axel_assassins
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Axel_assassins:
sorry but http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know = (

SlimeDynamiteD
11-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I TOTALLY AGREE ^ XD
That made my day...
No, not really it made 5 minutes of my day. Thanks, I needed those 5 minutes. Now Imma get back to the drama again -.-

AubreyWilborn
11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
To the OP: Syria, and Palestine-where AC1 takes place-were part of the Roman Empire back in the day. As a matter of fact, during Roman times this area was home to a carpenter named Jesus, among other folks.....

obliviondoll
11-09-2010, 10:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by notafanboy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Axel_assassins:
sorry but http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know = ( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
"I know" isn't an appropriate answer in English to someone laughing at how bad your translation is.
Might want to try a real translator. Online ones don't work.

They just don't. At all.

jbahr11
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by AubreyWilborn:
To the OP: Syria, and Palestine-where AC1 takes place-were part of the Roman Empire back in the day. As a matter of fact, during Roman times this area was home to a carpenter named Jesus, among other folks.....

Palestine don't you mean Israel what pre-WWII book or map are you reading or looking at

DeafAtheist
11-09-2010, 11:34 PM

Dude the Roman Empire at one point in history spanned about 70% of the earth. The Romans were the most efficient conquerers in history. Pick up a history book... or failing that watch a historical epic film that is set during the height of the Roman Empire... like Gladiator for instance starring Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix.

AubreyWilborn
11-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by jbahr11:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AubreyWilborn:

Palestine don't you mean Israel what pre-WWII book or map are you reading or looking at </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?? Dude, seriously? The region now known as "Israel" was called "Palestine" by the Romans. Read up on your History, man.....

shwayshway
11-10-2010, 04:19 AM
wow well this one really strayed off lol. funny stuff tho... anyways thnx aubreywilborn for an actual response. do u or anyone kno if the ruins are part of anuything in specific or something that ubisoft just threw in for fun n look...? (im playin my 3rd run thru of the game and im trying to take it all in...)

Abeonis
11-10-2010, 04:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jbahr11:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AubreyWilborn:

Palestine don't you mean Israel what pre-WWII book or map are you reading or looking at </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?? Dude, seriously? The region now known as "Israel" was called "Palestine" by the Romans. Read up on your History, man..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, although in his defense he did know that pre-WWII Israel did not exist. That said, because Israel did not exist at that time, the events depicted took place in Palestine.

E-Zekiel
11-10-2010, 04:47 AM
I don't understand what was censored. Racial slur for people who wear turbans? Some of the above people for some reason make it sound as if the word "palestinian" was censored, however that's just what people from Palestine are called...?

ForsakenMessiah
11-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Abeonis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jbahr11:

?? Dude, seriously? The region now known as "Israel" was called "Palestine" by the Romans. Read up on your History, man..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, although in his defense he did know that pre-WWII Israel did not exist. That said, because Israel did not exist at that time, the events depicted took place in Palestine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just so i can be a history geek, Palastine and syria was a name given to the middle east as a whole, kinda like how eastern asia was called the orient.
back then isreal was called Judea, and is where the religion judaism or jews come from

Xanatos2007
11-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by DeafAtheist:
Dude the Roman Empire at one point in history spanned about 70% of the earth. The Romans were the most efficient conquerers in history.
I thought water conquered 70% of the Earth (thereabouts).

Pick up a history book... or failing that watch a historical epic film that is set during the height of the Roman Empire... like Gladiator for instance starring Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix.
Oh right, like we can turn to Hollywood for quality education. Sorry, but Wikipedia is the lowest acceptable source of information you can give in regards to history.

SlimeDynamiteD
11-10-2010, 05:20 AM
The Romans actually conquered 70% of what they thought was the earth. There were still lands undiscovered like America for instance.

AubreyWilborn
11-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by ForsakenMessiah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Abeonis:

Exactly, although in his defense he did know that pre-WWII Israel did not exist. That said, because Israel did not exist at that time, the events depicted took place in Palestine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just so i can be a history geek, Palastine and syria was a name given to the middle east as a whole, kinda like how eastern asia was called the orient.
back then isreal was called Judea, and is where the religion judaism or jews come from </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, only part of what is currently called Israel, was called "Judea"-the southern part, I believe. The northern part-where Christ was from-was called Galilee.

DeafAtheist
11-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I thought water conquered 70% of the Earth (thereabouts).

Naturally I meant 70% of the land on the earth. But I was mistaken. I typed that post in the wee hours of the morning and wasn't thinking. In reality it was 70% of the known world at the time. Pretty much all the land immediately around the Persian Gulf and most of the Black Sea

Oh right, like we can turn to Hollywood for quality education. Sorry, but Wikipedia is the lowest acceptable source of information you can give in regards to history.

I didn't say you'd get a quality education from movies, but a lot of people don't really care about education unfortunately and would be more likely to watch a film than read a book. And while Gladiator is a fictional story it DOES contain some historical accuracy much like Assassin's Creed does.

DeafAtheist
11-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by SlimeDynamiteD:
The Romans actually conquered 70% of what they thought was the earth. There were still lands undiscovered like America for instance.

True I was mistaken. Chalk it up to the early hours of the morning when I made the post. However I find irony in what is considered a "discovery" by historical standards. There were Native Americans residing in what is now America prior to it's "discovery". So we consider something to be "discovered" when a white person goes there for the 1st time. Doesn't seem to matter that another race was already living there.

And why we give Columbus credit for even the 1st white person discovering America is nearly as ridiculous when the Vikings landed there nearly 500 years earlier.

RandomRansom
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlimeDynamiteD:

True I was mistaken. Chalk it up to the early hours of the morning when I made the post. However I find irony in what is considered a "discovery" by historical standards. There were Native Americans residing in what is now America prior to it's "discovery". So we consider something to be "discovered" when a white person goes there for the 1st time. Doesn't seem to matter that another race was already living there.

And why we give Columbus credit for even the 1st white person discovering America is nearly as ridiculous when the Vikings landed there nearly 500 years earlier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love you, DeafAtheist. I like that there's someone else on here that cares about historical accuracy and the meaning of words. There seems to be so few of us on here.

I even love that Columbus is credited for "discovering" America more often than Amerigo Vespucci is. Columbus "discovered" San Salvador (an island in the Bahamas). Columbus never actually found what is known now as North America (though I think he went to South America if memory serves). Amerigo Vespucci landed in and explored North America (among other areas)... hence why we call it America and not Columbia. I don't even think Columbus knew he had been anywhere other than India (i.e. he thought he had only found a new way to India)!

Definitely have to give Leif Ericson credit for being the first European explorer to explore America. I wouldn't mind changing the name of America to Leifland or something like that. LOL Go Go Viking power!

P.S. I think I'm recalling the Amerigo Vespucci thing from like... 2nd grade, so I think that should be more well known. Also note the word landed and not discovered.

ForsakenMessiah
11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by RandomRansom:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafAtheist:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlimeDynamiteD:

And why we give Columbus credit for even the 1st white person discovering America is nearly as ridiculous when the Vikings landed there nearly 500 years earlier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love you, DeafAtheist. I like that there's someone else on here that cares about historical accuracy and the meaning of words. There seems to be so few of us on here.

I even love that Columbus is credited for "discovering" America more often than Amerigo Vespucci is. Columbus "discovered" San Salvador (an island in the Bahamas). Columbus never actually found what is known now as North America (though I think he went to South America if memory serves). Amerigo Vespucci landed in and explored North America (among other areas)... hence why we call it America and not Columbia. I don't even think Columbus knew he had been anywhere other than India (i.e. he thought he had only found a new way to India)!

Definitely have to give Leif Ericson credit for being the first European explorer to explore America. I wouldn't mind changing the name of America to Leifland or something like that. LOL Go Go Viking power!

P.S. I think I'm recalling the Amerigo Vespucci thing from like... 2nd grade, so I think that should be more well known. Also note the word landed and not discovered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is one of the biggest myths going, merchants were travelling to newfoundland to catch cod after King christian of denmark stopped trade in Iceland in 1475, so columbus was just confirming the rumors.
As for the Amerigo vespucci myth, he wasn't even hired to make a map until AFTER John cabot travelled to newfoundland which was funded by a Richard amerike, And seeing as newly named land-masses are NEVER named after a persons first name unless they are a royal, and that America was under English rule as a colony, it is highly unlikely that america is named after the Italian cartographer, otherwise it would be called vespuccia.

RandomRansom
11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RandomRansom:

P.S. I think I'm recalling the Amerigo Vespucci thing from like... 2nd grade, so I think that should be more well known. Also note the word landed and not discovered.

that is one of the biggest myths going, merchants were travelling to newfoundland to catch cod after King christian of denmark stopped trade in Iceland in 1475, so columbus was just confirming the rumors.
As for the Amerigo vespucci myth, he wasn't even hired to make a map until AFTER John cabot travelled to newfoundland which was funded by a Richard amerike, And seeing as newly named land-masses are NEVER named after a persons first name unless they are a royal, and that America was under English rule as a colony, it is highly unlikely that america is named after the Italian cartographer, otherwise it would be called vespuccia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh... you do know that Newfoundland was and is in Canada right? It was a northern Canadian island, if I'm not mistaken (I say was because, apparently, the name changed recently).

And I guess you're right. There is speculation about who America is specifically named after, but I'd bet that the person who put the name on the original map of America probably had something to do with it... and it was that Italian cartographer who had the name on that map he drew. Maybe he just figured that since he and good ol' Richard Amerike had such similar names (be them first and last) that he'd call it America so both of them would get due credit. Who knows?

Since there is speculation, that means there's no evidence one way or the other.

I still say America should change its name to Leifland.

-Edit-
Fixed grammar error.

jbahr11
11-11-2010, 10:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ForsakenMessiah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Abeonis:

back then isreal was called Judea, and is where the religion judaism or jews come from </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, only part of what is currently called Israel, was called "Judea"-the southern part, I believe. The northern part-where Christ was from-was called Galilee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The territory was known as the holy land and also as Outremer during the time period AC1 was set in.

RandomRansom
11-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by jbahr11:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ForsakenMessiah:
?? Dude, seriously? The region now known as "Israel" was called "Palestine" by the Romans. Read up on your History, man.....

Actually, only part of what is currently called Israel, was called "Judea"-the southern part, I believe. The northern part-where Christ was from-was called Galilee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The territory was known as the holy land and also as Outremer during the time period AC1 was set in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you know that Japanese people don't call Japan "Japan?" They call it "Nihon" sometimes "Nippon." They could pronounce it as "Japan" using Japanese phonetics, but they don't.

I tell you this because sometimes... just sometimes (not often at all, I'm sure) two nations will call the same land by two different names. I'm not sure if that applies here, but... why argue over who called this place what at that time?

AubreyWilborn
11-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Lol-I was refering to what the "Holy Land" was called by the ROMANS, during the ROMAN era-you know, during the days of Jesus? The part of the Middle East comprising the lands of AC1, has had many names, applied by many peoples. The Romans called the place "Palestine" as a whole, further divided into "Judea" and "Galilee".

And that is interesting about Japan. I heard that the early Chinese called Japan "Wa", a name which meant "dwarf", or something similar.

obliviondoll
11-12-2010, 03:21 AM
If people hadn't already covered most of my knowledge on the various subjects anyway, there would be plenty to talk about, but this is the only post I haven't seen answered, and as someone who was here before the censorship, I believe I can answer.

Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
I don't understand what was censored. Racial slur for people who wear turbans? Some of the above people for some reason make it sound as if the word "palestinian" was censored, however that's just what people from Palestine are called...?
Don't worry, it was definitely a racist comment worthy of censorship, and it definitely WASN'T "palestinian", in spite of how it looks.

ForsakenMessiah
11-12-2010, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RandomRansom:

As for the Amerigo vespucci myth, he wasn't even hired to make a map until AFTER John cabot travelled to newfoundland which was funded by a Richard amerike, And seeing as newly named land-masses are NEVER named after a persons first name unless they are a royal, and that America was under English rule as a colony, it is highly unlikely that america is named after the Italian cartographer, otherwise it would be called vespuccia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh... you do know that Newfoundland was and is in Canada right? It was a northern Canadian island, if I'm not mistaken (I say was because, apparently, the name changed recently).

And I guess you're right. There is speculation about who America is specifically named after, but I'd bet that the person who put the name on the original map of America probably had something to do with it... and it was that Italian cartographer who had the name on that map he drew. Maybe he just figured that since he and good ol' Richard Amerike had such similar names (be them first and last) that he'd call it America so both of them would get due credit. Who knows?

Since there is speculation, that means there's no evidence one way or the other.

-Edit-
Fixed grammar error. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ofcourse, but Canada is in America, the correct title of the country everyboday calls America, is the United States of America.
The name America technically refers to the continents and whole landmass.
I still agree that the Vikings originally discovered the area, although "experts" are now saying the egyptians and even chinese discovered it as well, saying christopher columbus had no idea what he was doing and accidentally discovered it is one of those common moments where history gets changed because somebody in the past doesnt know what they are talking about, as I said before merchants were frequently travelling for cod adn there are even tribes of natives who speak are dialect of welsh, and different tribesmen went with them as help, including the famous Samoset, who greeted the original settlers by saying "can i have some beer" in perfect English

caswallawn_2k7
11-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Cornik22:
LOL I live in Spain and I don`t even have to go outside my city to find two bridges built by the romans. Oh ignorance...
but Roman stuff doesn't work, in the UK the wall never kept the Scottish out http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Xanatos2007
11-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Not to mention Roman plumbing.

RandomRansom
11-12-2010, 09:04 PM

-Edit-
Fixed grammar error.

ofcourse, but Canada is in America, the correct title of the country everyboday calls America, is the United States of America.
I still agree that the Vikings originally discovered the area, although "experts" are now saying the egyptians and even chinese discovered it as well, saying christopher columbus had no idea what he was doing and accidentally discovered it is one of those common moments where history gets changed because somebody in the past doesnt know what they are talking about, as I said before merchants were frequently travelling for cod adn there are even tribes of natives who speak are dialect of welsh, and different tribesmen went with them as help, including the famous Samoset, who greeted the original settlers by saying "can i have some beer" in perfect English </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I guess that means Canadians aren't Canadians but are Americans? I suppose that means Mexicans aren't Mexicans either... they're American too? I think the boarder patrol would take issue with that.

OH! You're talking about the Americas and not specifically America. If you were referring to North America, South America, or the Americas as a whole, then you should have included the modifier to signify the context. Either saying "the Americas" or "North America" would have stopped this whole conversation from happening.

Simply saying America is not specific enough in context to what you were talking about (as "America" by itself is mostly used to refer to the US). In point of fact, "the Americas" is what technically refers to the continents and whole landmass. North America refers to Mexico, the USA, Canada, and a few other land masses that I'm sure you're already aware of. South America... self evident... You get what I'm saying by now.

Just be more specific next time so I and others can know precisely what your talking about.

obliviondoll
11-12-2010, 11:35 PM
So I guess that means Canadians aren't Canadians but are Americans? I suppose that means Mexicans aren't Mexicans either... they're American too? I think the boarder patrol would take issue with that.

OH! You're talking about the Americas and not specifically America. If you were referring to North America, South America, or the Americas as a whole, then you should have included the modifier to signify the context. Either saying "the Americas" or "North America" would have stopped this whole conversation from happening.

Simply saying America is not specific enough in context to what you were talking about (as "America" by itself is mostly used to refer to the US). In point of fact, "the Americas" is what technically refers to the continents and whole landmass. North America refers to Mexico, the USA, Canada, and a few other land masses that I'm sure you're already aware of. South America... self evident... You get what I'm saying by now.

Just be more specific next time so I and others can know precisely what your talking about.
Technically, you CAN refer to Canadians as North Americans, and Mexicans as South Americans. Actually, yes, you COULD drop it and call them all American, but they aren't US citizens - and if you're in the area you'd probably have to clarify, particularly if you were speaking to US Border Patrol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But "The Americas" is an old-fashioned term, and "America" is a more correct modern way of describing the bicontinental landmass of North and South America. The only reason there's a problem is when someone assumes that the term is being used for its more common purpose of specifically describing USA (THIS use is the one which is technically inaccurate, by the way). If you know it's appropriate to use the term for either, you can take it in context easily enough.

EDIT: Improved clarity of explanation.

Raghsak
11-12-2010, 11:55 PM
quote:
quote:

-Edit-
Fixed grammar error.

I still agree that the Vikings originally discovered the area, although "experts" are now saying the egyptians and even chinese discovered it as well, saying christopher columbus had no idea what he was doing and accidentally discovered it is one of those common moments where history gets changed because somebody in the past doesnt know what they are talking about, as I said before merchants were frequently travelling for cod adn there are even tribes of natives who speak are dialect of welsh, and different tribesmen went with them as help, including the famous Samoset, who greeted the original settlers by saying "can i have some beer" in perfect English

The first european/scandinavian/etc to come upon the continent of north america was this chap named Bjarni Herjulfsson (or however you spell it). he was lookin for some trees or something to fix his ship (storm or something) and ran into Greenland. Leif erikson read his ships log, which described the rich and abundant natural resources found in the region, and was like:

"Hot damn! How abouts I get myself over and check this out!" and when he did, he was like:
"Hot damn! This place is the real deal! let me keep this little slice of heaven a secret, so them greedy little empires don't cramp my style up in here!"

and so it was for like, 500 years.

then comes cristofer colon (who we call columbus for some reason), who ran aground on some island in the caribbean, then went back to mama (queen isabella) and was like:
"OMG OMG OMG HAY GUISE LOOK WHAT I FOUND ISLANDS AND STUFF WITH GOLD AND STUFF WOOOT LETS GOOOOOOO"

and so began the fun times of european colonization in the Americas.

/history lesson

AubreyWilborn
11-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Raghsak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
quote:

-Edit-
Fixed grammar error.

The first european/scandinavian/etc to come upon the continent of north america was this chap named Bjarni Herjulfsson (or however you spell it). he was lookin for some trees or something to fix his ship (storm or something) and ran into Greenland. Leif erikson read his ships log, which described the rich and abundant natural resources found in the region, and was like:

"Hot damn! How abouts I get myself over and check this out!" and when he did, he was like:
"Hot damn! This place is the real deal! let me keep this little slice of heaven a secret, so them greedy little empires don't cramp my style up in here!"

then comes cristofer colon (who we call columbus for some reason), who ran aground on some island in the caribbean, then went back to mama (queen isabella) and was like:
"OMG OMG OMG HAY GUISE LOOK WHAT I FOUND ISLANDS AND STUFF WITH GOLD AND STUFF WOOOT LETS GOOOOOOO"

/history lesson </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a pretty bad History lesson, lol. The Vikings didn't WILLINGLY keep the Americas a secret. They were just too poor and unorganized to colonize the place. The Viking colony that they set up didn't last very long-it was wiped out by starvation, disease, and indians.

As for Christopher Columbus(or Cristobal Colon, if you're a Spanish speaker), he didn't find much gold, but he did think he found a cheaper way to India. That's why he called the people he found "indians".

Black_Widow9
11-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I think it's a perfectly appropriate answer. Please cut the other players some slack. Not everyone has perfect grammar and spelling. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

lilbacchant
11-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Raghsak:

/history lesson

I hereby grant you an honory degree for history (as presented in an entertaining fashion). Congratulations!

- Assassin's Creed University