PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Install Question

blankenship
12-15-2007, 03:47 PM
I took all of IL2 off my computer long ago and decided to reinstall. Installed IL2, FB, FBAEP all successfully. Went to install PF and it won't give me the option to do a merged install, just a standalone. What's up? Also, do I lose anything with a PF stand alone?

Thanks

blankenship
12-15-2007, 03:47 PM
I took all of IL2 off my computer long ago and decided to reinstall. Installed IL2, FB, FBAEP all successfully. Went to install PF and it won't give me the option to do a merged install, just a standalone. What's up? Also, do I lose anything with a PF stand alone?

Thanks

Skycat_2
12-15-2007, 04:22 PM
IL-2 Sturmovik isn't part of the FB+AEP+PF merged series so that doesn't need to be installed except if you want to play the campagins that comes with it.

If FB+AEP is installed correctly, you should be able to install PF with merged option next. You don't even need the AEP patches first. It is curious, however, that you don't get a merged option in the menu and only have the 'standalone' option for PF. Sounds like a registry problem to me.

Here are some things to check:

1. Is FB+AEP truly installed correctly? Is your version number on the loading screen at least 2.0? Do you have flyable planes like the P-38, Bf110 and Me163 Komet?

2. Is your Pacific Fighters on CD-Roms, or did you download it from Direct2drive? The downloadable product is 'standalone' only.

3. Did you create a customized install path or did you use the default location suggested by Forgotten Battles' installer? I'm not sure if this would make a difference but maybe PF simply can't 'see' your FB+AEP game folder.

4. Are you installing to the same computer/operating system as your previous installation?

As for the question of what you lose with a 'stand-alone' version of PF, the initial thing you sacrifice is the ability to combine planes and objects on other maps. For example, PF has Higgins boats that could be used on the Normandy map; the flyable A-20 and B-25 in PF is appropriate as Lend-Lease aircraft for the Soviet bomber corps. In the later PF upgrade patches there is bonus content in the 'merged' version patches that is for the FB side of the game: Murmansk, Kurland, and NW Europe maps; flyables like the Italian Mc202/205 series and Do225; and objects like Soviet light tanks and German rail artillery.

Somebody is bound to suggest you upgrade to the 1946 DVD combination which has everything under one install (including IL-2's campaigns but updated) and much more. 1946 is cheap if you can find it, anywhere from $10-20 in the US, and it includes Pe-2 Peshka, Sturmoviks Over Manchuria and '46 expansions by Russian Rocket Group on top of the FB/AEP/PF content.

blankenship
12-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Worked. Thanks for your assistance.