PDA

View Full Version : My quad core is running toasty



Airmail109
02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
95watt Core 2 Quad 6600 running at 3.0ghz, with thermal compound, stock cooler, and 6 case fans.

the program Core Temp shows I am hitting 65 degrees at load, when stress testing with Prime95 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Am I boned? and should i get a different cpu cooler and/or a better case.

My graphics card, an 8800gt also recirculates the air.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Actually 65C is not so bad for a Quad, they have a higher tollerance than previous cpu's. You might want to look into a better cooler than the stock. There are tons of websites out there with cooler charts, do some looking around at those. Don't just go to newegg and see what looks cool cause 99% of cpu cooler suck the big one.

MEGILE
02-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Fry an egg on it.

If it's runny, it's fine.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Megile:
Fry an egg on it.

If it's runny, it's fine.

I LOLed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Airmail109
02-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Actually 65C is not so bad for a Quad, they have a higher tollerance than previous cpu's. You might want to look into a better cooler than the stock. There are tons of websites out there with cooler charts, do some looking around at those. Don't just go to newegg and see what looks cool cause 99% of cpu cooler suck the big one.

Yeah Ill look around!

Hmmm its spiking to 69 now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

LOL @ Megile

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-15-2008, 12:39 PM
A Q6600 should be safe up to 75-80C, I wouldn't want it running like that all the time but don't freak out about it just yet. Here's a good place to start http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQwMiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Airmail109
02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
A Q6600 should be safe up to 75-80C, I wouldn't want it running like that all the time but don't freak out about it just yet. Here's a good place to start http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQwMiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

who WHOA the intel cooler is ****e!

no i wont mate, will clock it down when not gaming, im also going to put a massive room fan which i use in the summer up to it until a new cooler arives!

Airmail109
02-15-2008, 12:50 PM
the room fans got it to down to 59 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

roybaty
02-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Time for liquid cooling!

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Liguid/DIY/cl-w0097/cl-w0097.asp

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry, thermaltakes watercooling is ****. Todays modern aircoolers are so good that they beat or match most "kit" watercoolers for less money. If you want to go water cooled build it yourself, it's not real hard. A Dangerden TDX or an Apogee waterblock, a D5 pump, the heatercore from a '77 bonneville makes a kick@ss radiator, some tubing, some fans for the rad, and you're good to go!

Cajun76
02-15-2008, 02:08 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118115

Can't go wrong with a big chunk of copper. I'm not sure about the new ones shipping, but since I had mine for awhile, I needed an adapter for my Core 2 Duo when I rebuilt my system. It works on virtually every CPU out there. If you have a smallish case, you may need to go with a smaller format.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
The zalmans used to be top notch but all the latest models seem to have serious mounting issues. Sad really as they were one of the best out there.

Cajun76
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Well, the new upright ones seem just for looks. The one I linked has a huge copper block that is one piece with the fins. The mounting was straight forward for me. Just be sure to read the directions. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Cajun76:
Well, the new upright ones seem just for looks. The one I linked has a huge copper block that is one piece with the fins. The mounting was straight forward for me. Just be sure to read the directions. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The mounting issues I've been reading about are due to bad parts, the screwes are leaving shavings all over the socket areas causing shorts, or sometimes the screws are just too short or don't line up correctly. As for the upright ones, some are just for looks but the top coolers are upright ones (thermalright ultra 120 extreeme and tuniq tower being the two best aircoolers on the market).

Jagdgeschwader2
02-15-2008, 02:35 PM
These guys have just about every kind of cooling item made and they ship fast too.

http://www.coolerguys.com/

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader245.jpg

roybaty
02-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I was actually joking, I didn't even know they had external units like that.

R_Target
02-15-2008, 03:11 PM
It's obscenely huge, but the Tuniq Tower (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/tuniq-tower120.html) works like a champ. I'm only on C2D not Quad, but double Prime95 tops out at 45?C.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by R_Target:
It's obscenely huge, but the Tuniq Tower (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/tuniq-tower120.html) works like a champ. I'm only on C2D not Quad, but double Prime95 tops out at 45?C.

Lol, thats nothin, you want obscenely huge then check this monster out: http://www.dvhardware.net/article25245.html , no clue how good it works but it scares me, lol.

roybaty
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Holy c***!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I'd be afraid the weight would crack/warp the mobo, unless it's secured directly to the case mounts.


Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
It's obscenely huge, but the Tuniq Tower (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/tuniq-tower120.html) works like a champ. I'm only on C2D not Quad, but double Prime95 tops out at 45?C.

Lol, thats nothin, you want obscenely huge then check this monster out: http://www.dvhardware.net/article25245.html , no clue how good it works but it scares me, lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I keep looking at those huge HSFs and it just boggles my mind. I have been using water-cooling (Koolance Exos) since my first self-built system (1.2 Athlon), and I'm just not used to seeing 'things' that large inside my case.

Water-cooling has become so easy, and foolproof, that I'm amazed that more folks don't use it. The Koolance Exos was a bit pricy to startwith, but I've used it on 4 systems now, and even counting relacement coolant, and newer waterblocks, I think I'm still money ahead over buying after-market HSFs and definately a lit quieter.

R_Target
02-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by roybaty:
Lol, thats nothin, you want obscenely huge then check this monster out:

LMAO! You'd have to hire a gantry crew to hold it up.

http://www.dvhardware.net/news/scythe_orochi_2.jpg

stalkervision
02-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I take it that cpu is just slightly overclocked.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif