For those that may have missed it, over at FlightSim.Com, Andrew Herd,
a long-time reviewer and well-respected member of the flight sim
community, has given an informed and positive review of
Pacific Fighters.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds/main/menuchoo.htm

About 3/4 down the page:

Title: Review: Ubisoft's Pacific Fighters, by Andrew Herd

(Oleg, in case you read this, you may wonder why so many
Americans "whine" these days---Americans never used to!
It is because Americans have been trained to. Various toy companies
hired professional Psychologists to help them sell more toys via
TV advertising. They found that by teaching children how to "whine"
to their parents, the parents were put under pressure to buy the
toys. This has sadly developed a whining culture, which is
sadly all too visible on the various boards. Just an explaination,
not an excuse.)

HB

ZG77_Nagual
12-04-2004, 02:33 PM
That is absolutely true.

NORAD_Zooly10
12-04-2004, 03:05 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

NAFP_supah
12-04-2004, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and I can't get the gear to lower on the F4F and FM-2, which rules out doing carrier landings unless you enjoy skidding along flight decks on your belly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beginners error. Should have spent more time researching it.

He also mentions that you can't add planes yourself to it but fails to mention the third party ppl and their planes added through patches.

georgeo76
12-05-2004, 09:58 AM
I think it's a pretty fair review. It recognizes the few problems w/ the game. (limitations of the FM, lack of dynamic weather, clunky user interface). But it weighs these problems versus the many outstanding aspects of the game.

The most important part of the review is that he points out what an accomplishment the IL2 series is. That a small group of ppl w/ aviation and programing experience were able to outshine Microsoft w/ its vast resources.

NS38th_Aristaus
12-05-2004, 10:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heavy_Bomber:
For those that may have missed it, over at FlightSim.Com, Andrew Herd,
a long-time reviewer and well-respected member of the flight sim
community, has given an informed and positive review of
Pacific Fighters.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds/main/menuchoo.htm

About 3/4 down the page:

Title: Review: Ubisoft's Pacific Fighters, by Andrew Herd

not an excuse.)

HB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It took me awhile before I could reply to this simpleton.
Americans don't whine, we express what it is we expect fm a person, or organization, particulerly when they make promises.
The promise made by the oleg/ubi soft team was to create the most realistic flight sim possible and do it right, with full support of the product after the masses purchased it.
So the flood of demands "and not just by Americans' but Europeans as well" is a direct result of this promise by oleg/ubi. They opened this door themselves.

NS38th_Aristaus
12-05-2004, 10:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by georgeo76:
I think it's a pretty fair review. It recognizes the few problems w/ the game. (limitations of the FM, lack of dynamic weather, clunky user interface). But it weighs these problems versus the many outstanding aspects of the game.

The most important part of the review is that he points out what an accomplishment the IL2 series is. That a small group of ppl w/ aviation and programing experience were able to outshine Microsoft w/ its vast resources. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In response to this all I have to say is that with IL2 I am very limited with what I can do.
The possibilities with CFS2 are limitless with the map of the whole world and the wide rage of A/C I can dwnload and create.
CFS3 is a shining example of this with the creation of the MAW "Mediterranean Air War add on and the WWI add on as well.

ZG77_Nagual
12-05-2004, 06:39 PM
The observation about a couple of generations of children being trained to whine is fact - not opinion - pretty basic advertizing strategy over the last few decades.

LEXX_Luthor
12-05-2004, 07:05 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>American Anxiety: Culture and the Birthrate

It was a chilly afternoon in February of 1997. There, at a 'Giant' chain store in an affluent Washington suburb, a young mother pushed a baby in a stroller to the check-out stand. She was accompanied by a small boy, no more than about five years of age. The mother reached into the basket for the goods she intended to buy, and in the process she took away something the boy had picked up [flight sim ?? ]. The child immediately flew into a rage, shrieking, throwing tins of food at the mother, kicking her foot, and ripping at her clothes. Then he bolted to the back of the store with the embarrassed woman and her baby-buggy in helpless pursuit. Other shoppers gritted their teeth and looked on in disgust.

~ http://www.africa2000.com/IMPACT%5Cwattenberg.html
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Popey109
12-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Well now! We didn€t have much too whine about before did we! Since IL2 was a Russian front sim and had primarily Russian and German aircraft. Now we have FB+AEP+PF and Oleg has given a peace of the ETO and a good portion of the PTO along with a good selection of American aircraft (Thank you Oleg) its€ no wonder we (Americans) would want the best FM and DM possible given today€s tech. but I don€t see any one country holding the loudest whiners badge! In fact I see no shortage of French whiners, German whiners, British whiners, Japanese whiners, or whiners about American whiners!...about the article€¦I whine when these people print there revues before reading the manuals LOL! €œno landing gear for the F4F and FM-2€ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

LEXX_Luthor
12-05-2004, 07:14 PM
If the Reviewer was familiar with FB flight sim, he/she would have known about I~16, but then some old timer FB simmers never knew, so la la. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

what about this I~16 ??

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Bearcat99
12-05-2004, 08:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NS38th_Aristaus:
It took me awhile before I could reply to this simpleton.
Americans don't whine, we express what it is we expect fm a person, or organization, particulerly when they make promises.
The promise made by the oleg/ubi soft team was to create the most realistic flight sim possible and do it right, with full support of the product after the masses purchased it.
So the flood of demands "and not just by Americans' but Europeans as well" is a direct result of this promise by oleg/ubi. They opened this door themselves.

AND

In response to this all I have to say is that with IL2 I am very limited with what I can do.
The possibilities with CFS2 are limitless with the map of the whole world and the wide rage of A/C I can dwnload and create.
CFS3 is a shining example of this with the creation of the MAW "Mediterranean Air War add on and the WWI add on as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off we'll have no name calling in here, even if the post in question is....... questionable on several fronts. If you cant keep it civil then go back to CFS or wherever it is you came from http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif.

Secondly.... Americans do "whine". Americans whine like everyone else... some louder than others....like every where else. Some of us come with hard facts too. If you cant do that (not YOU but you in general) then you are just whining. I count 1 full patch in multiple flavors and a Beta so far with at leat two more on the horizon.... so that sounds like support to me. As far as a realistic sim experience.... I dont know what you expect but I get it... it isnt a 100% immersive experience but it is the best I have experienced so far.... with some of its flaws and limitations not withstanding.

Thirdly... This is a different sim. It isnt CFS.... in no way shape or form. If you want a sim that you can exercise certain levels of creativity that you are used to working in CFS then you are SOL for the most part. This community execises its creativity a bit differently.... look at the UQMG, IL2 Manager, Sturmolog, IL2 Mat, IL2 Compare, and of course the army of great artists who do the skins. The FM/DM code is closed and a vast majority of the community and the developer want it to remain that way, so making planes is out. Although I would love to have a world map under the graphics engine here I would rather have the limited maps we do have with the quality that they have as opposed to a world map that was of a lesser quality or of the CFS look. As far as aircraft go... just about everything I would want to fly is already here. There are a few exceptions... Id love to see all the bombers flyable, more WW1 aircraft, a few later model jets to simulate Korea... and definitely some more flyable torpedo bombers. Plus unlike CFS where the FMs and DMs are subject to the whims of their individual creators I prefer to have one standard... even if that standard isnt perfect (although it is the best one out this far..... even better than the 1% planes IMO) than the crapshoot that is what you get with CFS. If I had a choice between FB-AEP &PF +Patches or CFS3&Firepower&The MAW add on& the WW1 add on... and the googobs of free 3rd party stuff that I would have to have just to make the thing flyable... no thanks Ill take FB & 1C anyday.

As far as the review goes....

"My setup, which runs on Windows XP Pro SP2 and has Pac Fighters installed into Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expansion Pack, will allow me to start planes on the carrier decks, but doesn't let the engines continue running, because they cut as soon as I stop pressing the 'I' key. Neither can I get the wheel brakes to release - I haven't tried every plane, but it certainly seems to affect many of the US shipboard fighters - and I can't get the gear to lower on the F4F and FM-2, which rules out doing carrier landings unless you enjoy skidding along flight decks on your belly. You can get around this particular problem easily enough by using autopilot mode, but unless my system is unique, this bug is going to annoy the hell out of a lot of people and I hope it gets fixed in the initial patch - because half the fun of the game is taking off and landing on the carriers and the F4F is one of the best planes in Pac Fighters."

Well Andy may be a well respected member of the flight sim community with years of experience but it is obvious he either didnt read the readme, or is not as familiar with 1C sims as he should be. None of the above critiques mentioned are bugs that need fixing.... just a short between the headsets as we used to say on the line on the Coral Sea. IMO if you are going to write reviews for products then you should take the time to thoroughly test them before you go to print. And just so you know (The original poster) This review was posted here when it first came out.....

Like I said up top... keep it civil... or be gone.

BTW... I like the Bud Anderson quote in your sig Aristaus...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ZG77_Nagual
12-06-2004, 10:31 AM
No, we are the worst. The only thing we may do more of is Rationalize. (We also top the world when it comes to righteous indignation)

"It took me awhile before I could reply to this simpleton.
So the flood of demands "and not just by Americans' but Europeans as well" is a direct result of this promise by oleg/ubi. They opened this door themselves"

dlian
12-09-2004, 05:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
not an excuse.)

HB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. I learn something new every day.