PDA

View Full Version : Cappadocia will most likely not be free roam in ACR...

KrYpToNiC95
08-27-2011, 07:33 PM
As we all know there are 5 keys that Ezio must find to unlock the Masyaf library. In an old interview(think it was Darby McDevitt) it was revealed that 3 are in Constantinople. Well from the gamescom gameplay we know that one is in Masyaf, so it is only logical to assume that the last key or one of the 5 keys is in Cappadocia because it is the only other mentioned location in the game. This leads me to think that we will most likely only get one mission in Cappadocia, therefore no free-roam capabilities after. Just my opinion. Hope we do though... Is there an info that I may have missed up until now regarding this?

kriegerdesgottes
08-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I assume the same but I could be wrong. I don't think the Altair missions are free roam either though unfortunately. I believe they said those would also be linear sequences.

twenty_glyphs
08-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I would say there's not enough evidence to say either way. Since they've been saying that another studio is building it, it does seem like it will be a pretty good size. The Game Informer article also mentioned there would be some countryside around the city outside as well. I would expect at least an entire sequence will take place there, not just one mission. If Ezio is leaving Constantinople about halfway through the game and goes to Cappadocia to hunt down the last key, a decent amount of story will probably take place there to find the last key before returning to Masyaf.

I hope it is free-roam and we can return there anytime we want. Rome felt so confined compared to AC2 where you could choose where to travel at any time. Brotherhood had other locations, but you could only access them by replaying memories, which just isn't the same. The gamescom demo showed the little village close to Masyaf, and it had what looked like stables from Brotherhood and some boarded up shops. Also, when Ezio kills the second guard inside the village (the first one on the ground) and sets the tripwire bomb, he is beside two horses and a carriage. In AC2 those two horses were covered by a little stand and were the fast-travel stations. I'm hopeful that when you finish this section of the game, the village will be upgraded with some shops, including a fast-travel station where those horses are. If that's the case, it's possible other places like Cappadocia may be free-roam as well.

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Since horses aren't in ACR as gameplay mechanics, I think we can assume they're re-using stable assets to make the village make more sense, since villages would generally have horses, being in the countryside. However, Constantinople will not need such things, since it's a big port city and very dense.

I don't think that the village is going to be free-roam, while it looked quite nice and not too too linear in its design, it wasn't THAT non-linear.

Who knows. I could be wrong.

twenty_glyphs
08-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Do you know where the quote is about horses not being in Revelations? I have not read a direct quote saying they won't be in the game at all. I imagine they won't be usable in Constantinople, but this would be the first AC game without horses at all if that's the case. We do know that chariot chases will be in. Why would they use stables as filler when they could use anything else? I'm not saying I'm right, but I do think that there's a reason they're re-using the familiar elements of stables and carriages that they've used since AC2. Brotherhood didn't have any instances of 2 horses with a carriage behind them in the city, so it feels meaningful to me. It could just b wishful thinking though...

Moultonborough
08-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I always thought that the wagon was Leandros(sp?) from the chase. Now as to Cappadocia, as it is the first real Templar city I cannot picture them doing only one mission there. Since it is a important city, it will have to be used more than once. Both with side missions as well as main story.

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
Do you know where the quote is about horses not being in Revelations? I have not read a direct quote saying they won't be in the game at all. I imagine they won't be usable in Constantinople, but this would be the first AC game without horses at all if that's the case. We do know that chariot chases will be in. Why would they use stables as filler when they could use anything else? I'm not saying I'm right, but I do think that there's a reason they're re-using the familiar elements of stables and carriages that they've used since AC2. Brotherhood didn't have any instances of 2 horses with a carriage behind them in the city, so it feels meaningful to me. It could just b wishful thinking though...

Notice that there's no actual stall like the fast travel stands in AC2 had. It's just a plain carriage. And as for why it was there, It's actually the carriage that Leandros was using in the chase. Remember how we saw Leandros walking away from it in Eagle Sense?

As for a reference:
http://kotaku.com/5812317/assa...-a-lost-they-promise (http://kotaku.com/5812317/assassins-creed-revelations-is-a-grand-adventure-that-wont-pull-a-lost-they-promise)

"The world around Ezio will work differently as well. Poiker said that Ezio's Constantinople might be "a little smaller" than the massive Rome of Brotherhood, but he believes it is denser with things to do and, because it is more urban, literally stacked higher with content. Ezio won't have a horse in this game, which will compel players to use those ziplines to get around quickly."

Horses are not in for normal gameplay, including free-roam. During mission set-pieces we may see some more horse carriage action segments, but no free-roaming with a horse.

Which means that the village having a stable is a point against the likelyhood of it it being a free-roam area. : )

EDIT: Ninja'd on it being Leandros's carriage!

twenty_glyphs
08-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
Notice that there's no actual stall like the fast travel stands in AC2 had. It's just a plain carriage. And as for why it was there, It's actually the carriage that Leandros was using in the chase. Remember how we saw Leandros walking away from it in Eagle Sense?

As for a reference:
http://kotaku.com/5812317/assa...-a-lost-they-promise (http://kotaku.com/5812317/assassins-creed-revelations-is-a-grand-adventure-that-wont-pull-a-lost-they-promise)

"The world around Ezio will work differently as well. Poiker said that Ezio's Constantinople might be "a little smaller" than the massive Rome of Brotherhood, but he believes it is denser with things to do and, because it is more urban, literally stacked higher with content. Ezio won't have a horse in this game, which will compel players to use those ziplines to get around quickly."

Horses are not in for normal gameplay, including free-roam. During mission set-pieces we may see some more horse carriage action segments, but no free-roaming with a horse.

Which means that the village having a stable is a point against the likelyhood of it it being a free-roam area. : )

As for no stall by the horse carriage, I failed to elaborate and say that it seems there are a couple of buildings in the village that are in a pre-upgraded state. The horse stalls look identical to unupgraded stalls from Brotherhood, and there is a building that looks like a boarded-up shop on Ezio's left just after he closes the bomb crafting station. My theory is just that the whole village may get automatically upgraded after you kill Leandros and rid the village of Templars. Then the shops would open, the stalls would open, the village gate just to the left of the carriage would open, and the horse carriage would have a new stand surrounding it. It's just a theory though. I do wonder why they would put in a boarded-up shop if it wasn't going to get upgraded. Also notice that there is a bridge leading out of the city around the area of the closed gate. It just seemed like one of the old pathways out of a city that AC2 had, like the small area outside of Florence where you could ride a horse.

As for the Kotaku quote, that's too vague to convince me there are no horses in the game at all. It's a journalist saying you won't have a horse and will use ziplines instead. That could easily have been misinterpreted from someone saying there was no horse in the cities like in Rome. That's why I asked for a direct quote, because too often those articles are wrong unless they directly quote someone. It seems odd to me that they would strip the horse completely out of the game, when it's always been a part of the series.

I'm not here to argue, I was just pointing out that there is a possibility that this village and some other areas around Masyaf are free-roam and therefore Cappadocia may be as well.

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 12:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

As for a reference:

As for no stall by the horse carriage, I failed to elaborate and say that it seems there are a couple of buildings in the village that are in a pre-upgraded state. The horse stalls look identical to unupgraded stalls from Brotherhood, and there is a building that looks like a boarded-up shop on Ezio's left just after he closes the bomb crafting station. My theory is just that the whole village may get automatically upgraded after you kill Leandros and rid the village of Templars. Then the shops would open, the stalls would open, the village gate just to the left of the carriage would open, and the horse carriage would have a new stand surrounding it. It's just a theory though. I do wonder why they would put in a boarded-up shop if it wasn't going to get upgraded. Also notice that there is a bridge leading out of the city around the area of the closed gate. It just seemed like one of the old pathways out of a city that AC2 had, like the small area outside of Florence where you could ride a horse.

As for the Kotaku quote, that's too vague to convince me there are no horses in the game at all. It's a journalist saying you won't have a horse and will use ziplines instead. That could easily have been misinterpreted from someone saying there was no horse in the cities like in Rome. That's why I asked for a direct quote, because too often those articles are wrong unless they directly quote someone. It seems odd to me that they would strip the horse completely out of the game, when it's always been a part of the series.

I'm not here to argue, I was just pointing out that there is a possibility that this village and some other areas around Masyaf are free-roam and therefore Cappadocia may be as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can only find one other article right now that corroborates it, but seriously, trust me, it's in a video interview straight from Alexandre. I don't think that the article is vaugue at all. It says point blank that he won't have a horse in the game.

I couldn't find the video interview because it's a video, not text. I'd have to go through every AC video interview until I found the one that mentioned it.

The horse drawn carriage thing was the only type of thing where he'll use horses. Action sequences in places where they make sense. Constantinople is way too dense for horses, and so is Cappidocia, but and Capa's UNDERGROUND.

I'm hearing you saying that there might be more free-roam environments, but the way they're talking I think they decided to just do two really big scale ones, to get rid of the feeling of claustrophobia/bored of the same basic backdrop syndrome that being in free-roam in Rome all the time produced in players.

Really, I'm glad. Two is just enough to make the game feel bigger, and focusing on too many in AC2 and 1 made each one feel less important and dense.

lukaszep
08-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Well obviously Cappadocia won't be huge, but they have a whole other Ubisoft studio dedicated to building Cappadocia which means it must be pretty big. From that i'm guessing it will be open world, as they wouldn't put all those resources into a single linear mission.

(I don't have a source for that i'm afraid but i remember it being said in an interview around the time of the GameInformer interviews etc.)

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Ubisoft Singapore is creating the linear sequences as well as cappidocia. If Cappidocia was simply a linear sequence, I don't know why they would specify it as being a separate task.

Check it out (http://a.yfrog.com/img611/1679/fl51.png)

twenty_glyphs
08-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm just saying that you may be able to use horses in the countryside and just outside of cities, like AC2. It would be a small part hardly worth mentioning by the developers. If there are fast-travel stations in Constantinople, they likely would just be stands like in Venice, since you're actually using boats instead of horses to travel from those locations. But I could see letting you ride a horse between the gamescom demo village and the Masyaf castle, and maybe in the countryside around Cappadocia. In AC2, the first time through the Appenine Mountains you are doing a carriage chase, but after that you can come back and ride horses there.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. They've also hinted that there are other locations that they can't talk about yet, since they've said things like "the places we've announced so far are Masyaf, Cappadocia, etc."

kalo.yanis
08-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I think there is a likelihood that Cappadocia might be a free roam area along with Constantinople. However, I believe that everything else (including Masyaf) will be in linear sequences a la War Machines and Belriguardo.

As for the horses, AFAIK, they won't be usable in Constantinople free roam, but will still be present in the game.

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm just saying that you may be able to use horses in the countryside and just outside of cities, like AC2. It would be a small part hardly worth mentioning by the developers. If there are fast-travel stations in Constantinople, they likely would just be stands like in Venice, since you're actually using boats instead of horses to travel from those locations. But I could see letting you ride a horse between the gamescom demo village and the Masyaf castle, and maybe in the countryside around Cappadocia. In AC2, the first time through the Appenine Mountains you are doing a carriage chase, but after that you can come back and ride horses there.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. They've also hinted that there are other locations that they can't talk about yet, since they've said things like "the places we've announced so far are Masyaf, Cappadocia, etc."

They've said they're moving away from the entire horse mechanic and focusing on other things, so I doubt that they would have said that if they just meant going back to them not being usable in cities. But whatever, we'll see.

Jexx21
08-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I always wished that we could get a personal 'Assassin' horse or something.

I mean, I would love that. It's like how Desmond has his own motorcycle (if AC3 has a free-roam Desmond area, he has to have a motorcycle, he has a license for it ya know).

Assassin_M
08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
I always wished that we could get a personal 'Assassin' horse or something.

I mean, I would love that. It's like how Desmond has his own motorcycle (if AC3 has a free-roam Desmond area, he has to have a motorcycle, he has a license for it ya know).
I swear Im not joking, I`d really like a Pimp-My_Horse Feature, that would be SICK

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 02:18 PM
I've long suspected Desmond will have some motorcycle riding segments. Hopefully they control WAY better than horses did. : P

ProdiGurl
08-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I haven't read all the posts yet, but when I first found this site, one of the first threads I replied on was Mr Shade asking our opinions on General gaming/open world opinions:

>>>>> Posted Mon April 04 2011 09:25
As you know, the Assassinís Creed team is constantly searching for ways to better serve you and create games that you want to play!

Please help us in our efforts by giving us feedback on the following questions, using the numbers in your response will help us to organize our findings:

1. What do you enjoy most about open world games?

2. What do you hate the most?<<<

So it's possible that the issue of free roaming was being explored for ACR.

ProdiGurl
08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
I've long suspected Desmond will have some motorcycle riding segments. Hopefully they control WAY better than horses did. : P

And Leonardo's flying contraption
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Jexx21
08-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leonardo's contraption AND horses worked out very well in controls.

Well, at least they did on the PC/KB+M. I'm not sure about consoles/gamepads.

kriegerdesgottes
08-28-2011, 07:16 PM
I liked the controls for the horse a lot and the flyer controllers were terrible in Brotherhood but awesome in ACII.

Jexx21
08-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I liked the controls for the horse a lot and the flyer controllers were terrible in Brotherhood but awesome in ACII.

They were the same in Brotherhood and ACII for PC...

ProdiGurl
08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Well, at least they did on the PC/KB+M. I'm not sure about consoles/gamepads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The horses were fine (altho they didn't jump well) but the flying contraption took some getting used to and was very limiting.
It takes awhile, but once you get the hang of it, it stops being impossible to sync.

Jexx21
08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Well, at least they did on the PC/KB+M. I'm not sure about consoles/gamepads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The horses were fine (altho they didn't jump well) but the flying contraption took some getting used to and was very limiting.
It takes awhile, but once you get the hang of it, it stops being impossible to sync. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got 100% sync first try on the Bomber mission.

:/

Serrachio
08-28-2011, 08:19 PM
I kind of hated having horses in Rome in ACB. While they were a faster option of getting places, there were a lot of things they would jump over, and even when they jumped, it slowed down travel.

It would be a lot better if you could control horses after they rear a lot better, because after the horse reared, it was so hard to try and make it turn.

What I'd like is if horses didn't make a return into cities in ACR, or if the horse travel mechanics were adjusted to make them a lot easier and more fluid to control.

Better yet, I'd like more customization for horses, so you could design how they looked (colour of horse and their clothes), improve the horses in the stables based on breed, and maybe make the armour on them more resistant to attacks etc.

twenty_glyphs
08-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
I kind of hated having horses in Rome in ACB. While they were a faster option of getting places, there were a lot of things they would jump over, and even when they jumped, it slowed down travel.

It would be a lot better if you could control horses after they rear a lot better, because after the horse reared, it was so hard to try and make it turn.

What I'd like is if horses didn't make a return into cities in ACR, or if the horse travel mechanics were adjusted to make them a lot easier and more fluid to control.

Better yet, I'd like more customization for horses, so you could design how they looked (colour of horse and their clothes), improve the horses in the stables based on breed, and maybe make the armour on them more resistant to attacks etc.

I agree about the annoyance of stuff that horses jump over. It slows you down and is extremely irritating. I still remember the obstacle right in the middle of the road as you're galloping to leave Masyaf in the first game and how much it totally breaks the flow and fun of riding a fast horse. I'm really looking forward to zip lines and think they will be a cool mechanic within the city. Using horses to get around Rome just wasn't that fun, but I think the zip lines being between rooftops will really help them fit into the world more fluidly than horses in Rome.

Saqaliba
08-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Cappadocia was used by Christian Monastics during the 3rd - 5th centuries. But there is a theory that these underground cities where built by the First Civilizations - specifically the 'fallen angels' (waters) that co-habitated with the early human women to create a hybrid race. This race was called the Giants (Nephelim) and the theory goes that the height of the ceilings in Cappadocia are so vast as to accommodate that race of Giants. To this day there is still major flap areas (UFO sitings) in the region of Cappadocia.

See:

*From the Ashes of Angels: Forgotten Legacy of a Fallen Race by Andrew Collins (http://www.amazon.com/Ashes-Angels-Forbidden-Legacy-Fallen/dp/187918172X)

*Cities of the Underworld: Secret Pagan Underground (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1X9l9JhPhk&feature=related)

Calvarok
08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
What I'd like is if horses didn't make a return into cities in ACR,
Wish granted.

twenty_glyphs
08-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I just found a little more evidence that the village near Masyaf shown in the gamescom demo may be free-roam. In one of the screen shots that came out two weeks ago, you see Ezio in that village setting a tripwire bomb. On the right side of the screen shot you can see a boarded-up shop with a sign above it in Arabic and the tailor icon to the left. So it looks like there may be shops in that village, which I doubt would be there if it wasn't a map you could return to. The screen is here:

http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/...011/08/375372231.jpg (http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/375372231.jpg)

Calvarok
08-30-2011, 12:41 AM
I just found a little more evidence that the village near Masyaf shown in the gamescom demo may be free-roam. In one of the screen shots that came out two weeks ago, you see Ezio in that village setting a tripwire bomb. On the right side of the screen shot you can see a boarded-up shop with a sign above it in Arabic and the tailor icon to the left. So it looks like there may be shops in that village, which I doubt would be there if it wasn't a map you could return to. The screen is here:

http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/...011/08/375372231.jpg (http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/375372231.jpg)
We already established that there were boarded up shops. I think it's more likely that they're a repurposing of assets to make the decrepit/overrun town look like it's a town, by giving it shops that are boarded up.

The Arabic writing makes it more possible, though, I'll admit.