PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas WWII Film... Bearcat you should read...

ARCHIE_CALVERT
03-16-2006, 05:22 PM
this... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/film/star_wars3_revenge_sith_redtails.html

Treetop64
03-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Now how cool is THAT?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VF-51-Dart
03-16-2006, 05:38 PM
WOW! Man I hope it doesn't turn into another PH.

Bearcat99
03-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Yes I have known about that for some time now. Thanks though.

jds1978
03-17-2006, 03:08 AM
Lucas is a major History buff. Those big Outer Space battles in Star Wars were heavily influenced by watching WW2 guncam reels.

stathem
03-17-2006, 04:33 AM
Excellent News.

Slightly OT, but by my reckoning, there are two due out soon, the Tom Cruise BoB movie and the WW1 film.

Does anyone know when these are due? I'm not terribly well informed about the film world.

DoubleTap2005A
03-17-2006, 04:51 AM
In a way this is not new, news. Lucas has been talking about this Tuskegee airman story for a long while. At one point he was supposed to moving forward on it, and then HBO went ahead and made one on them and he dropped immediate plans for his.

Color me concerned.

The concern part is this; don’t want to start a flame war with Lucas fans (and I was a big one) but the last 3 films stank. Sorry, they did, and with the resources he had at his disposal, they should have given LOTR a run for its money.

If Lucas is going to produce, and ILM will produce the SFX, and get someone else to direct, and write the script, then, spiffy! Should be good, and there should be MORE films of that era done with the SFX capabilities nowadays. How about a Battle of Britain, when the RAF pilots were flying almost non-stop to kick Goering’s ***?

Anyway, if however, Lucas will direct and write the script, then *shudder*. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif Forget it. He is not up to the task. The aerial combats may come out great, but as with the Star Wars films, great special effects without a good story is a pretty boring thing. And, hey, guess who was the one who said that? Three guesses…

dravisar
03-17-2006, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by DoubleTap2005A:
In a way this is not new, news. Lucas has been talking about this Tuskegee airman story for a long while. At one point he was supposed to moving forward on it, and then HBO went ahead and made one on them and he dropped immediate plans for his.

Color me concerned.

The concern part is this; don’t want to start a flame war with Lucas fans (and I was a big one) but the last 3 films stank. Sorry, they did, and with the resources he had at his disposal, they should have given LOTR a run for its money.

If Lucas is going to produce, and ILM will produce the SFX, and get someone else to direct, and write the script, then, spiffy! Should be good, and there should be MORE films of that era done with the SFX capabilities nowadays. How about a Battle of Britain, when the RAF pilots were flying almost non-stop to kick Goering’s ***?

Anyway, if however, Lucas will direct and write the script, then *shudder*. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif Forget it. He is not up to the task. The aerial combats may come out great, but as with the Star Wars films, great special effects without a good story is a pretty boring thing. And, hey, guess who was the one who said that? Three guesses…

Exactly what I would have said.

I agree 110%....the last three movies were horrible, but his special effects team is GREAT.

Watch him cast natalie portman again

*shuddddddddder*

*blarggh*

dazza9806482
03-17-2006, 05:12 AM
abandon all hope of a script/story with grit, realisim, emotion or merit....

the last three star wars films were excruciatingly poorly written

on the other hand it should look pretty good, but again i hope any action is touched with a realistic and gritty edge.

i mean Lucas needs to bear in mind that ww2 fighters arent tie fighters!

maybe he could take some cues from FB.....

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Feathered_IV
03-17-2006, 05:33 AM
the last three star wars films were excruciatingly poorly written

By sheer coincidence, Episode II is showing on TV as I write this. I can't adequately describe just how bad it really is.
There is still time. Perhaps we could form a lobby group to prevent Lucas from making the Red Tail film and dishonouring the memory of these mens acheivements.

dadada1
03-17-2006, 07:28 AM
The end result will probably be the kind of thing you accidently step in on the pavement/sidewalk.

Tempestate
03-17-2006, 07:57 AM
I thought the tom cruise movie was canned?

THe next indiana jones..... oh dear

Oh and here is another movie ww2 buffs may be interested in
http://www.yamato-movie.jp/trailer/index.html
its about the Yamoto

this is in between ww2
http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_movies/lion_desert.htm

Also I think their is another Band of Brothers being made that focuses on the Pacific?

VF-51-Dart
03-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Agree wholeheartedly. I couldn't even bring myself to go see the last Star Wars because the two before it just plain stunk to high heaven. So I too am concerned about a WWII flick from him, or just about anyone in Hollywood now, especially after the mangling of Pear Harbor! Man, how I hate that movie!

Luftkillier
03-17-2006, 10:30 AM
I am optimistic this will be completely different from PH or any other movie made by Lucas. The subject matter lends itself to a more crtically sound movie.

Looking forward to seeing it. I am just glad Lucas has the courage to do it, when nobody else in hollywood would.

LStarosta
03-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I dunno, sounds to me like flogging a dead horse.

Feathered_IV
03-17-2006, 06:36 PM
It will be an insult. Be sure.
Lucas is most definitely not the man for the job.

Prop_Strike
03-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Don't panic just yet people....Lucas is very good friends with another director who loves WW2 subject material - Steven Spielberg, who he just might convince to direct it.
Do you think a "Saving Private Ryan" with warbirds would be any good?....methinks so!!

Here's hoping.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

UberPickle
03-17-2006, 07:47 PM
And this, my friends, is why im going into film, to save WW2 from crappy Hollywood effects and directors (Lucas isnt that bad guys, Uwe Boll is another story though)

Im actually optimistic about this movie. Maybe they'll even make a movie about these guys: The all nisei unit, the redball express, the all chicano unit, and tons of other great WW2 that's never seen (i.e. Spain, secret Nazi hang glider ops, etc.)

I swear to god, if a redtail shoots down a tie-fighter (even though that would be awesome), I would run up to the sliver screen and stab it.

sapre
03-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I never understood why some people just hate the prequel...
What is soooooooo bad about it?
Does this make me a starwars fanboi?

UberPickle
03-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by sapre:

Not really. The prequels I actually liked. I thought they told the story well enough, but it was just holes in the dialogue, over flashyness, etc.

It had potential and it let everyone down (at least here anyways, because most of them probably saw the first one in theatres).

HerrGraf
03-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Prop-Strike, I hate to break it to you but S.P.R. is an anti-war movie; not one of the old "war is glory" films.

The-Pizza-Man
03-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by UberPickle:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sapre:

Not really. The prequels I actually liked. I thought they told the story well enough, but it was just holes in the dialogue, over flashyness, etc.

It had potential and it let everyone down (at least here anyways, because most of them probably saw the first one in theatres). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I liked the prequels, not as much as the origional trilogy. I actually really liked ROTS, it was just too short. It felt like they had to cram all the stuff that should of happened in AOTC and TPM into ROTS. Also I think AOTC and ROTS suffered from the bad setup of TPM.

I hope lucas does do a redtails movie, I reckon it could be quite good.

Prop_Strike
03-18-2006, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by HerrGraf:
Prop-Strike, I hate to break it to you but S.P.R. is an anti-war movie; not one of the old "war is glory" films.

Isn't that WHY a Redtails movie(made with the same idea)would be great.
Gritty, realistc, horrific.....you could show the horror and the heroism!
You don't have to beat up how great the Tuskegee Airmen were.....we all know they were fantastic. Just S.P.R it....
Just my opinion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jds1978
03-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Technically, The RedTails movie would be an interesting thing. Lucas is the master of the "Long Pan Shot With A Billion Things Happening At Once". Just imagine the sky filled with B17's and P51's dogfighting 109's. It's true GL is a bad script writer. His dialogue comes across as wooden and a little juvenile. He is much better at letting the pictures tell the story.

Enforcer572005
03-18-2006, 06:54 AM
I rather liked the last 3 movies. If you expected something as epic as the originals, you were bound to be disapointed-they were.....
a prequel to the more dramtic later episodes.

Anyway, it will be much better than that lousy HBO version where they flew 51Ds the entire time then marvelled over their new planes half way thru the film. I imagine he will make use of alot more actual aircraft types in this one. Wouldnt surprise me if those new FW reproductions showed up , or the 262s that are flying. He will have the money to do it right.

And no way was SPR an antiwar movie.....i saw nothing anti-WW2 or politically correct at all in that. just alot of realism about men doing thier duty and enduring the unendurable.