PDA

View Full Version : Just A Question...

mrsiCkstar
08-06-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not but...

on IL2 Forgotten Battles why was the logo of the Finnish Air Forces changed from the blue swastika to the current round logo?

well... I've seen pictures of the game online with Finnish planes with the swastika but my game only has the current round logo...

not a complain or anything like that, I'd just like to know why this happened, that's all.

thx and see ya.

Chuck_Older
08-06-2005, 04:26 PM
The code for the correct markings is in the game

The catch is: you must download a program to enable them

I used a program called 'hackenkruez'. Il-2STAB does it as well I'm told. Also, MAT manager can disply the correct markings

The swastika is illegal to display in certain countries. For example: Germany

In order to avoid the issue of legal action, the swastikas were disabled

mrsiCkstar
08-06-2005, 06:54 PM
I see, thanks for the info!

if I enable them and play online with them will other people see the swastika or the round one?

I don't wanna cause anyone any trouble http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
08-06-2005, 07:14 PM
If you enable them with MAT manager and other players also have MAT manager they will see them. I'm not sure about 'hackenkruez'.

Tully__
08-06-2005, 10:55 PM
AFAIK using the hackenkruz utility to display swastikas on your plane will show them to all players in a multiplayer server.

NonWonderDog
08-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I thought it was the other way around, i.e. using the utility will show the swasticas on *all* German or Finnish planes that have markings enabled, but only on your computer.

As I understand it, all the little program does is add the swastica graphics to your cache folder when you start the game. The game will display any German tail markings you give it, but none are included in the international version of the game for legality's sake. It's the same principle that MAT Manager works by, so it should work exactly like MAT Manager, right?

MAT Manager comes highly recommended, anyway. Get it here:
http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MATfiles.htm

Tully__
08-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
I thought it was the other way around, i.e. using the utility will show the swasticas on *all* German or Finnish planes that have markings enabled, but only on your computer.

As I understand it, all the little program does is add the swastica graphics to your cache folder when you start the game. The game will display any German tail markings you give it, but none are included in the international version of the game for legality's sake. It's the same principle that MAT Manager works by, so it should work exactly like MAT Manager, right?
I don't believe so. If I understand correctly, the markings are included in the game, but switched off by default. The switch isn't included in the default conf.ini

MattManager may change the cache, but as far as I know both IL2Manager and hakenkruz.exe add the required line in conf.ini and switch it to "on". I may be barking entirely up the wrong tree of course....

NonWonderDog
08-07-2005, 12:27 AM
If it were that easy we wouldn't need a program to do it, now would we? It also probably wouldn't be legal in Germany if it were just an option.

MAT Manager doesn't change anything in conf.ini, anyway. The only conf.ini change is to prevent the program from clearing the cache when it quits, and you have to add that manually. At least, I've never noticed it adding anything...

mrsiCkstar
08-07-2005, 10:35 AM
thanks a lot everyone...

I got the IL2 Stab program and got the markings right http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I also noticed an interesting option to modify... the amount of flak you counter ...how do you guys have this one set up usually?

Kocur_
08-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Let me add that Finnish blue swastika has NOTHING to do with nazis or temporary alliance with Germany.

Blue swastika was personal logo of a French pilot who flew to Finland first was plane for Finnish air force, a gift from French government, back in 1918 iirc. That personal logo was adopted as Finnish air force logo, long before Mein Kampf.

ClubAstir
08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
A little correction to the previous; the aircraft in question was donated by the swedish count Eric von Rosen whose personal emblem the blue swastika was.

Kocur_
08-09-2005, 10:24 AM
My bad memory http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

But important thing stands: Finnish blue swastika nas nothing to do with nazi swastika.