PDA

View Full Version : New Torpedo Bomber Campaign is Now Available

Zeus-cat
09-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Straight and True - a torpedo bomber campaign featuring the IL-2T in 30 action-packed missions.

You need IL-2 Forgotten Battles patched to v2.04 to play this campaign.

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_campaigns.htm

Attack a wide variety of targets: freighters, barges, dams, submarines, torpedo boats, destroyers, cruisers, battleships and even the mighty Tirpitz.

What kind of missions will you fly?
- Lead a squadron into the German harbors at Dzhankoy and Saki to sink convoys carrying munitions and supplies.
- Search the open seas for marauding destroyers and cruisers intent on sinking our convoys.
- Attack the submarine pens at Dzhankoy
- Fly a daring solo midnight mission to destroy a German dam vital to the Nazi war effort.
- Fly through the early morning fog to sink a damaged U-boat and the milch kuh (milk cow) sent to repair her.
- Follow an oil slick for 20 kilometers to find a crippled battleship and finish her off.
- Take three of your best pilots and fly up a river to sink the barges the Germans are using to rescue their trapped armor and vehicles.
- Fly through a thunderstorm to locate the remnants of a convoy blown on the rocks and destroy it before the Germans can unload the damaged ships.

Use detailed recon photos to aid you in attacking eleven of your targets.

5 readme files with tips on torpedo bombing, comanding AI planes, designer's notes and torpedo damage reports on all ships in Forgotten Battles v2.04

All this and more in Zeus-cat's IL-2T campaign - Straight and True

Zeus-cat

clint-ruin
09-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Wow thanks. Been waiting to see this ever since you posted your ship torp damage tables. Thanks!

p1ngu666
09-29-2004, 05:02 PM
cooler than the watery grave ill soon have

many thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Aeronautico
09-29-2004, 06:19 PM
P1ngu... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Zeus! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A!

Red_Russian13
09-29-2004, 09:19 PM
This is great. But I'll be lucky if I survive one mission...those ships kill me...and I suck at torpedo bombing.

Zeus-cat
09-29-2004, 09:45 PM
The campaign starts off easy. You have several missions against unarmed convoys. Then it gets tougher as you progress. Watch the intro movie to understand the story which runs through the briefings.

Zeus-cat

-HH-Dubbo
09-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Bump for the Zeus-cat. Beta tested it. An excellent entertaining and educational mission. Glad it's finally out. Here's some color..
http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/nightschpanker/IL2-Tsplash.JPG

VF51_Flatspin
09-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Holy friggin' ****! Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

EDIT: c r a p is a naughty word? oh well...

Skarphol
09-30-2004, 12:34 PM
As usual I feel a little stupid, but I can't find where to download your campaign! Any hints?

Skarphol

-HH-Dubbo
09-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Click on this link http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_campaigns.htm
and then scroll down until you find "Straight and True" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-HH-Quazi
09-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Gotta give this a bump. I'm playing it now and was able to play several of the missions while they were being developed. Excellent campaign m8's. Bumpity bump!

-HH- Beebop
09-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Yet another bump. I'm going "Full Real"/Full Time for the first time with this campaign. And you learn how to manage your AI. It's as instructional as it is fun.
I heartly recommend this to anyone who is looking for something a bit different and that has a lot of variety.

Since many missions take place over the water it is a good primer in navigation for Pacific Fighters.

DD_NL
10-01-2004, 04:30 AM
I appreciate the effort you put into this and everyone else's campaign Ive played. unfortunately, my comp cant handle 16 planes + objects + flak + AA + ships + etc. very well. Sorry.
The only campaign I have been able to complete, since I got IL-2 has been The Blue.

MadMacgunner
10-01-2004, 04:43 AM
These are very good news,Zeus,but did you manage to solvent the horrible torpedo launch system inherent to FB?.I hate to drop torpedoes from 1000 m above the sea ad at 500km/h and that it stills runnig under the water till it hits a ship.
But thaks for the campaign.

"Vista,suerte y al toro"

Garc√¬*a Morato,Spanish Civil War pilot.

Zeus-cat
10-01-2004, 05:49 AM
DD_NL,

The first mission will definetly choke your machine. I went a little overboard on the planes in this one, but the rest of the missions I was very careful to use the minimum number of planes as needed to make the mission do what I wanted. I was thinking about people with machines that wouldn't handle a bunch of planes very well. I recommend you try playing the campaign.

You can skip the first mission which is more for shock value than anything. Or, you could edit it using the FMB and delete all the He-111s and several flights of the IL-2Ts without changing the game play at all. {Hint: chase down one of the Bf-110s for a quick kill if you dare.) If you have problems with this, send me a PM and I will see what I can do to clean up for you. Not sure I can do it quickly as I was just told I have to go on a business trip next week, but I'll see what I can do.

MadMacGunner
I can't change the way the game controls the AI, but while attempting to shoot the epilogue movie I found I could get the AI Planes to do beautiful low level attacks by having them do attack runs that were 5-7km long. I stepped down their altitude 5-10m every km and flew them at 250kph or so. They were dropping at 20m or less and they looked great. I tried to do this throughout the campaign, but with varying success. The AI just does what it does so I often was happpy just to get them to atack!

Zeus-cat

Billy_BigBoy
10-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the *bumps*
I would have missed...think it's worth it.

ELEM
10-01-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm enjoying the campaign, thanks, but what is the idea of having the 2 Pe-8s collide head on above the airfield at the start of mission 3?

Zeus-cat
10-01-2004, 01:04 PM
The Pe-8 collision is just for fun. I did this for another mission and it turned out so nice, I added it to the campaign at the last minute. I'm sure this thing happened in real life, so I added it for fun.

They are supposed to be your recon flight to find the cruiser in mission 4, so now you have to fly the mission without them.

Zeus-cat

Skarphol
10-01-2004, 04:23 PM
OK, now I'm feeling REALLY stupid.
I've downloaded the file, IL-2T3.zip. So far so good. Then I unzip all the files in that package to the folder "D:\Program files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\Missions\Campaign\RU" (I have most programs on the D-disk)
So that folder is now filled up with some 65 files and 4 folders, among them the 2 recon photos-folders and the video-folder.

But, when I start up IL-2 and choose 'carreer', and pick USSR as country, I can't find the campaign! What do I do wrong? I can choose IL-2 Sturmovik and IL-2 Sturmovik (Leningrad) but none of them seems to be right. Any hints?

Skarphol, the halfwit

Zeus-cat
10-01-2004, 05:03 PM
The files need to be in Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\Missions\Campaign\RU\IL-2T.

Looks like you forgot to create a new folder called IL-2T in the RU folder.

Just create the folder and move all the files into the IL-2T folder.

Zeus-cat

Call_me_Kanno
10-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Don't feel bad Skarphol. I done the same thing and couldn't figure out why I couldn't find it too. Thanks Zeus-cat. Looking forward to flying these missions.

S! Kanno

1.JaVA_Hornet
10-02-2004, 04:24 PM
I have flown 3 missions and i removed
this pack again.
Why?
- 2nd mission you fly to 4 cargoships and
its impossible to give orders to your mates.
And nobody attacks these ships.
So i was the only one to sunk a ship with
1 torpedo.
- 3rd mission is the same,

Its a pitty the rest is (was) good.

Zeus-cat
10-02-2004, 06:25 PM
The AI will attack the ships, but you you need to issue the orders when you are close enough for them to see the ships. They also prefer to attack from the starboard side of ships. I only found that out after the campaign was 90% complete.

It is a bit of a challenge, but the AI will do what you tell them to if you issue the orders at the appropriate times.

As the campaign progresses, the AI gain experience and will fly better. I also reduced the scope of command as the campaign progresses. You either command only your flight or the entire squadron during an attack.

Zeus-cat

FltLt_HardBall
10-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Great job! A campaign like this has been sorely missed since the sim came out!

Cat_SimHQ
10-03-2004, 08:17 PM
BZ, Zeus-cat. It's worth the DL just for the readme files.

Miao, Cat

Zeus-cat
10-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Problems controlling AI in my campaign? Here are some hints. Also see my readme files in the campaign folder for more info.

- Watch your speed after takeoff. Optimum speed and altitude is 300kph and 500m.

- Let the AI catch up to you after takeoff. If you zoom away from the base, the AI may just circle the base and not fly to the target.

- Make sure you are close enough to the target before issuing the attack order. I usually set up the order to the AI at least 5km out from the target and then hit the final key to issue the attack order 2kms from the ship.

- Attack the starboard (right) side of the ship if possible. The AI prefers this side for some reason.

- Expect the AI to crash into each other occasionally. It happened to me and my beta testers. Not much you can do about it.

Zeus-cat

CrazyIF
10-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a fun campaign! Can't wait to try it

1.JaVA_Hornet
10-04-2004, 06:21 AM
Once again,
Commanding your wingman is impossible.
All possibilities are stated red.
The only chooses you can make are
ground control for landing etc.

I flew with the span nearly over the targets and
nobody reacts and its impossible made to command.

Therefor i have removed it again and fly now the other campaign with the fw190.

Zeus-cat
10-04-2004, 08:34 AM
1.Java_Hornet

The instructions state that you need to select the highest rank when you start the campaign. Anything else and you won't be able to command the AI.

Please understand that the limitations of the game are the problem, not the campaign. I reduced the command requirements as the campaign progresses as I too found it difficult to command the AI at times. The missions later in the campaign require less commanding than the early missions.

The feedback from my beta testers was that they loved the search missions the best of all the missions. They felt these missions were the most realistic and since you didn't know where the enemy was, they were also the most challenging. They also said they were very immersive.

The entire effect is ruined if the AI knows where the enemy is and they just fly out to attack. The ONLY way to do those search missions properly was to have the AI follow you, with you as the leader in the #1 plane. That forces you to issue commands to the AI. I could send you out alone, but one torpedo won't sink a cruiser so you need help from the AI.

The missions later in the campaign where you attack ships in known locations are scripted so that the AI attacks regardless of what you do.

As I stated earlier in the thread, don't get too far ahead of the other flights, issue attack commands when you are 2 or 3 kms from the ship to be attacked or the AI will ignore you.

Keep in mind, that if Pacific Fighters uses the same game engine, then this is exactly what torpedo bombing will be like in PF unless you attack ships in harbors or other known locations. If you need to search for ships, then these are the limitations you will have.

With a little patience and some understanding of the limits of the AI, you can sink any ship in the game.

If you still have problems, move the missions out of the campaign folder and put them in the single mission folder. I suggest mission 9 (a solo mission and a personal favorite) and mission 29 (a group effort, but all you really need to do is follow the oil slick to the target, line up and issue the attack order 3 km from the Tirpitz).

Zeus-cat

1.JaVA_Hornet
10-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Okay Zeuscat i am convinced.

I will download it again and give it a try.

thx

1.JaVA_Hornet
10-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Its great now.
I have flown 2 missions today.
I could commanding my mates now after
the great hint from above.

Thanks!

Zeus-cat
10-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Glad you got it worked out. You are on your own for the rest of the week. I will be out of town and probably won't be able to log on.

Good luck

Zeus-cat

FltLt_HardBall
10-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Bump. Do yourselves a favour and check this out. Good training for the Pacific, too.

HexAngel
10-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Just wanted to thank you Zeus-Cat for this great campaign! The briefings are nice as are the missions!
And to all those who haven't tried this campaign: it's more than worth to download it!

icrash
10-17-2004, 05:29 PM
OK my turn to bump it. I'm up to mission ten and this campaign rocks. It has definately helped my flying by instruments and given me a chance to play with command & control. Oh yeah, by all means give feedback, it help not only Zeus but the other mission builders.