PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...only thing that kinda bothers me about PF.

Sturmvogel66
11-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Is that in the pilot career, when you choose to be a lower rank, you are at the mercy of the CO and his 110% throttle "cruise" speed. All the planes hot rod it around all at the cost of me buring up my engine just to keep up. Why oh why?! Other than that, I have had a blast, I have to admit, I didn't catch my first carrier landing. It was a bolter, but on my second pass I caught the third wire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I love naval aviation.

heywooood
11-08-2004, 10:37 PM
I agree with your observation..I am almost tempted to punch a hole or two in his radiator right after takeoff..

And it took me 5 tries to arrive on the deck and be able to fold the wings correctly...I folded them a couple times incorrectly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif and boltered ajus a couple times before that.

Tully__
11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sturmvogel66:
...you are at the mercy of the CO and his 110% throttle "cruise" speed... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What aircraft? I find they fly too slow...

Philipscdrw
11-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Have you played the Wildcat USN campaign?

Tully__
11-08-2004, 11:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
Have you played the Wildcat USN campaign? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me or Sturmvogel66?

MystiqBlackCat
11-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Overheating is something that none of the AI have to worry about, its not programmed into their simplified flight models. Indeed the F3F Wildcat campaigns are a bit annoying because you have to run balls out to keep up with the flight leader, but I just restarted it and put myself in charge http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ElAurens
11-08-2004, 11:34 PM
AI FMs have been dubious from the start of IL2.

No overheat, insane cruising speeds, laws of nature defying turns, computer controlled guided bullets etc...etc...etc...

The single biggest reason I gave up on pilot careers and single missions, and became a total online player. The AI would be kicked from every server on HL.

Philipscdrw
11-08-2004, 11:41 PM
In the Wildcat campaign the flight leader requires you to fly at 105% throttle to keep up!

Fillmore
11-09-2004, 01:49 AM
I have flown Dauntless and Wildcat campaigns and found the AI flies too slow for my taste (especially the Dauntless, Wildcat not near as bad).

clint-ruin
11-09-2004, 01:51 AM
It's not a matter of how fast the AI flys, it's a matter of what speed they have been told to use in the .mis file vs what the AI interprets as the most efficient speed to be at @ that altitude @ that weight.

Just another case of Dgen telling the game to do something silly I think.

Tully__
11-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Well I started a Wildcat campaign to find out and it's not as bad as the original IL2 Sturmovik was. While you can't match speed and climbrate at the same time, if you're prepared to leave the altitude matching til later it's not too hard to match map position with less than 100% throttle.

Once your flight leader levels out it only takes a minute or two to match altitude, then you can cruise at about 78% and keep up.

Hendley
11-09-2004, 08:55 AM
Ah, the memories...reminds me of flying those first sorties in the FB Stuka campaign. The Ju87 is not a plane with a lot of acceleration or catch-up power, to say the least. I'd usually be halfway to the target when the rest of my flight would trundle by in the opposite direction, mission complete and heading home http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

1.JaVA_Hornet
11-09-2004, 02:15 PM
With il2/il2fb aep I couldn`t following an ai
plain but for example I am now flying a corsair
campaign and its really easy to follow the
leader.

Nige_Reconman
11-09-2004, 02:25 PM
It's less pronounced now then in previous versions foe me. I don't chase the AI on takeof and often enough on takeoff you can simply cut the distance as they circle, by cutting their flight circle. Makes it a little easier i find.