PDA

View Full Version : ATI 4870 owners

lbuchele
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
To those using the ATI 4870 VGA: I have read excelente reviews about this card in tom's hardware , saying it´s even faster than the new GTX 260 from nvidia.
As I am looking to buy one, and in other hand a lot of people here is always posting that ATI drivers are not so good to Il2 ,that it´s impossible to use perfect water, etc...so , this is happening to 4870 too?
Because it´s impossible to me to believe that a powerful card like that can't run FB maxed out.
What dou you say?

ICDP
08-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi lbuchele,

I am using an HD4870 at 1920x1200 in perfect (water 2) with the 8.7 drivers and there are no serious issues with IL2. You have to run with S3TC texture compression off but there are no FPS issues that I can see. It is an oustanding card IMHO compared to my 8800GTX.

striker-85
08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
@ICDP

I was considering switching to a 4870 from the 8800GTX as well. A few questions if you don't mind.

> How does the water compare between the ATI 4870 at water 2 and your 8800GTX at Water 3? Do you notice any difference?

> Did you notice any Image Quality improvements when switching to ATI?

> Did you get an FPS improvement after the switch? If so what difference?

> What AA and AF do you run now with the ATI?

Heh, sorry for all the questions but I'm seriously considering a switch and have been curious as to what to expect.

Thanks!

VW-IceFire
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
RE: Drivers and ATI versus nVidia. I've gone back and forth over the years and since the Radeon 9700Pro days at least ATI has been just as good as nVidia. Sometimes slightly better...sometimes slightly worse. Yes there are problems...and no nVidia is not immune but I often think they have louder fanboys. There may be specific features that are a problem...I know Crossfire was an issue for a while but then I think SLI had its share of problems too.

Just a bone I have to pick with people. I was disappointed when I got my nVidia card after having an ATI card for a while as everyone was saying how amazing Forceware was over Catalyst....well...surprise surprise...its about the same.

Eldon45
08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Today I took out my X1950XTX cards which had been giving me trouble in crossfire mode, and put in a new Asus 4870 with Cat 8.7 driver. I'm extremely happy with it so far. The performance with IL-2 seems just about as good as with the crossfire X1950XTXs--and the 1950s when they were working together were fantastic with this game.

I was puzzled that changing the AA and AF settings in the CCC--while making a big difference in in-game visual quality--made virtually no impact on FPS whatsoever in the BD track. I was getting just as good fps at AA8 AF16 as I was with AA2 AF4! So I'm keeping it at AA8 and AF16 as the norm so far.

My machine and some settings:
Built by -HH-Quazi:
Foxconn X38
Pentium Core 2 Duo
3.00GHz
2G RAM
Windows XP
Cat 8.7 driver
1920 X 1200 resolution 24" Samsung 245BW
SB X-fi
Perfect Settings,Water=2,TypeClouds=0

Black Death: Mid 80s average, Low 32 even at 8AA 16AF (in-game meter).

I get some typical slowdown over big cities and in areas in the Slovakia map (as I did with the 1950s).

I'm finding that the 4870 can make a newer game like CRYSIS run beautifully on "high" settings (Windows XP) while still running IL-2 near the top of its capabilities. The 1950s could run Crysis in crossfire, but only at medium visual settings. The price of the 4870 is pretty darn good for what you get and I'll be able to pair it with another when the time comes. So far, I'm thinking I've made a really good buy.

Stingray333
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Yo, I've got a 4870 running a 1920x1200 24" monitor on "perfect" settings with water=2, effects=2 no problems. Using a E8400 CPU and 4gigs of memory (Windows XP pro) I usually get an average of 50 in TheBlackDeath with a minimum of 18-20, but in most situations my FPS is > 60

Great card, seems stable, no problems or issues whatsoever. Haven't had heat issues, the only time I hear the fan going full tilt is for a few seconds when the computers boots, playing games its no louder than the case fan or hard disk humm.

If your thinking of getting one, although it is a great card, think about waiting and getting the 4870x2,

Stingray

VW-IceFire
08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
If your AA/AF settings are going up but your FPS is staying the same then your CPU constrained rather than video card constrained. IL-2 really gives both a serious work out.

ICDP
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by striker-85:
@ICDP

I was considering switching to a 4870 from the 8800GTX as well. A few questions if you don't mind.

> How does the water compare between the ATI 4870 at water 2 and your 8800GTX at Water 3? Do you notice any difference?

Water 2 still looks great, in fact you can try it on your 8800GTX very easily.

> Did you notice any Image Quality improvements when switching to ATI?

Nothing that I could see, the fact is that IL2 is not really pushing the limits of graphics cards any longer. A mid range graphics card from either ATI or Nvidia will play IL2 with full details.

> Did you get an FPS improvement after the switch? If so what difference?

No, see above answer

> What AA and AF do you run now with the ATI?

I am running 16xAF and 4xAA at 1920x1200 resolution.

Heh, sorry for all the questions but I'm seriously considering a switch and have been curious as to what to expect.

Thanks!

My pleasure, feel free to ask any other questions. What I will say is that FSX runs better with higher settings than my 8800GTX. It is an excellent card at an excellent price.

tagTaken2
08-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Is there any indication that the SoW engine will favour either nvidia or ATI?

striker-85
08-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the answers ICDP!

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by tagTaken2:
Is there any indication that the SoW engine will favour either nvidia or ATI?

Nothing official, the only thing one can even base speculation on is that they used nvidia when building il2. Who knows, lol.

tagTaken2
08-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Okay then, I'm going ATI for new system. Negative experiences have warped me off nvidia.

The more I read about VGA cards recently, it's starting to feel like you'd have to make a choice based on the latest game you want to play. Sad.

Kauzio
08-09-2008, 07:11 AM
As far as negative experiences go, ATI and Nvidia both have their fair share.

If I was to by a high performance card now, without spending stupid money, I'd get the ATI 4870 without a doubt. It's good value and really only beaten by the nvidia gtx 280, which costs about a million dollars.

I currently have an Nvidia 8800GT, before that an ATI X1950Pro, before that an ATI X800Pro, before that an Nvidia, before that nvidia, before that ati, so yeah I like to think I'm as impartial as they come. Although I was never a fan of catalyst control center as it was a bit slow to load and bulky when I last used it.