PDA

View Full Version : Val Dive Bomber issues

gothsword
03-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Hello can someone help me with these questions.

1. I love dive bombmers , but the Val seems utterly inept when going after large surface ships. I have actually seen a carrier take 6 full Val payloads just to keep going.

How many vals does it take to sink a carrier.

2. How can I order a flight of Vals to attack a specific ship and not stray off to hit another.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

SkyChimp
03-30-2005, 08:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gothsword:
Hello can someone help me with these questions.

1. I love dive bombmers , but the Val seems utterly inept when going after large surface ships. I have actually seen a carrier take 6 full Val payloads just to keep going.

How many vals does it take to sink a carrier.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in real life, it may have taken a few hits, or very many hits. Most carriers that sank from a few hits probably would have been OK had in not been for the other explosions caused by the bombs within the depths ship, or the long burning fires that erupted. Several US carriers that "sank" after taking bomb hits actually had to be sunk by US destroyers so that they wouldn't just drift about. Carriers were extremely big and tough - which you know. And this game simply doesn't model the chain reaction explosions and fires that could occur from a single bomb hit.

LEXX_Luthor
03-30-2005, 10:09 PM
You can set up FMB mission with 12 AI D3A "SET" to target a carrier, the Attack waypoints must be within about 7km of the carrier at the time the aircraft reach their Attack waypoints. To get consistent test results, set carrier Rate of Fire to 99.0 (the lowest rate of fire, 1.0 is "normal" Rate of Fire. This number is inverse Rate of Fire).

If I recall from my experiments, it takes about maybe 8 of those 250kg bombs to sink a carrier--or was that torpedoes mmm--anyway all fleet carriers seem to take the same damage. Not totally sure though. Experiment and Be Happy.

Zeus-cat
03-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Ship damage modelling is pretty simple in the game.

For the bigger ships it probably looks like this:

No damage
Minor damage (some smoke)
Major damage (a lot of smoke)
Destroyed (sinking)

Each bomb or cannon shell above a certain size (30mm?) adds to the damage of the ship. The bigger the bomb, the more damage it creates.

There also appears to be some sort of damage factor related to WHERE the bomb or torpedo hits the ship. In the IL-2T torpedo bomber camapign I created ("Straight and True" available at airwarfare.com) I noticed that torpedo hits on the bow or stern caused little or no damage to the ship (but might make it smoke).

Zeus-cat

FI-Aflak
03-31-2005, 01:19 PM
two corsairs carrying tiny tims can take a japanese carrier . . . were they really that effective?