PDA

View Full Version : Funny kill credit, real life, u gotta read this

VBF-83_Hawk
01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
He was jumped by a batch of Japanese fighters and dove to the deck in one long screaming dive. He ended up going cross country below treetop height, with two fighters behind shooting at him, and several others strung out farther back. He crested a hill and found himself in the traffic pattern at the Nittagahara air base! He banked to avoid a "Betty" bomber taking off under him on the runway, and became an ace as the Betty and two pursuers collided in his prop wash!! There was a big explosion and burning chunks of airplane all over when he checked his six. He evaded the rest of his pursuers. With no gun camera footage, it took time to confirm the 3 Nittagahara kills, but he was credited eventually.
http://home.earthlink.net/~atdouble/~318thFighterGroup.IeShima.html

Blackdog5555
01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Great story..

Chuck_Older
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
How about the pilot that was decorated for shooting down one of his own nation's aircraft..on purpose?

I would have to look it up for names and dates, but essentially, a C-47 in the pacific full of noncombatants including nurses, was headed stright for a Japanese held island- to land!

The radio was out. A USAAF plane, a fighter, tried to raise them, to no avail. He shot out the engines, and the C-47 ditched into the sea. No-one was hurt and all were rescued.

he received an Air Medal if i recall correctly, and even had a small US flag next to the Japanese rising suns, maltese crosses, and other kill claims, on his aircraft

Latico
01-07-2005, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
How about the pilot that was decorated for shooting down one of his own nation's aircraft..on purpose?

I would have to look it up for names and dates, but essentially, a C-47 in the pacific full of noncombatants including nurses, was headed stright for a Japanese held island- to land!

The radio was out. A USAAF plane, a fighter, tried to raise them, to no avail. He shot out the engines, and the C-47 ditched into the sea. No-one was hurt and all were rescued.

he received an Air Medal if i recall correctly, and even had a small US flag next to the Japanese rising suns, maltese crosses, and other kill claims, on his aircraft <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder why the fighter pilot didn't just pull along side the C-47 and try hand signals and jesters to communicate to the transport crew.

Combat pilots used this form of communications all the time between each other while in formation so that they didn't have to break radio silence.

stansdds
01-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Hand signals for combat are fairly short and simple, how would you hand signal "you are about to land on an enemy airfield, turn around"?

VBF-83_Hawk
01-07-2005, 07:24 PM
April 1st 1945. Operation Iceburg. Ki-43 lands on the newly captured Kadena airfield. No allied aircraft on the ground. The IJ pilot shuts his engine off and get out. Steps off the wing and then is shot and killed by allied troops.

Yimmy
01-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Must have been trigger happy knobbers to shoot him.

AlmightyTallest
01-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I don't think many would want to take the risk given the situation. Japanese combat pilots were armed I believe. It's sad, but things like this happen in times of war.

HvyPetals
01-07-2005, 09:43 PM
i guess when you live on the border of life and death like that you really dont care anymore.

DuxCorvan
01-08-2005, 03:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlmightyTallest:
I don't think many would want to take the risk given the situation. Japanese combat pilots were armed I believe. It's sad, but things like this happen in times of war. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In most cases, that gun was to be used against themselves. For an old-minded Japanese professional soldier, being captured was an unbearable shame, and a complete social disgrace if they ever returned home. It's rather pointless to shoot a revolver-armed guy with Enfields and automatic weapons, but I guess the airfield crew knew some Japanese pilots were supposed to fight till death to avoid capture.

GT182
01-08-2005, 09:08 AM
DuxCorvan, maybe it was that Japanese pilots way of commiting hara-kari. You never, and will never, know.

AlmightyTallest
01-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I understand DuxCorvan, but hindsight is 20/20, I don't think many 18 year old "kids" on both sides thrown in such a situation are going to walk up and shake the guys hand. Both sides were trained to hate and kill the enemy.

It's a surreal situation, you and your buddies just captured an enemy airfield, and the enemy you've been trained to kill just lands an aicraft on it. You see the armed pilot get out and.... There's always someone who's going to want to take a shot at the enemy, who knows the reason? Someone had their friend killed by the enemy, and want some revenge, maybe they wanted to be able to claim they killed a Japanese pilot?

Like GT182 said, we will never know why.

Not aircraft related, but my grandfather tells me of a Japanese soldier that got caught behind their lines, the kid lost his gun and wasn't firing at U.S. troops, but he hid in the jungle and usually came out at night. Finally, starving my grandfather tells me that this kid actually got in the chow line with the U.S. soldiers to get some food!! Funny thing is, they let him have it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif He was arrested, but got medical treatment and food, and was shipped to Hawaii until the war ended. My grandfather says he survived, and was sent home when the war ended.

WOLFMondo
01-08-2005, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't remember where I read it but a Blackwidow pilot had to shoot down a B29. The crew had previously bailed out but it was still in the air its heading was deamed dangerous so the blackwidow goes up to intercept, uses all its ammunition on the B29 and still can't bring it down but does change its course.