PDA

View Full Version : F6F-5 Performance (or lack thereof)

wagsleadtom
06-24-2005, 02:52 PM
As a former USMC test pilot (F/A-18, etc.), I love the fidelity of this simulation and the chance to "fly" WWII a/c. However, I'm a bit confused by the lack of performance of some of the USN fighters, specifically the Hellcat. I've checked it's top speed against published numbers and talked to my dad who flew them in the Pacific (VMF(N)-543 at Okinawa). The F6F-5 should do 376 mph (330 kts) at 27,500 ft...the FB/AEP/PF merged version does a mere 200 mph full out. That is one big difference. Any thoughts on this?

JG53Frankyboy
06-24-2005, 03:08 PM
only the "comic" gauges in the "no cockpit view" are showing TAS.
unfortunatly only in km/h

Badsight.
06-24-2005, 03:15 PM
the Hellcat used to reach its RL altitude speed using only 90% power

that remaining 20% made a big difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

will have to test in v4.01

JG53Frankyboy
06-24-2005, 03:22 PM
616km/h !! T-A-S !! with 100% fuel , sure at 3. loader stage(so called in game) at 9000m.
110% power , 100% pitch ( like its called in game).

Criema map , that should be used for speed tests because it has , following the game developer, the best conditions ( standart pressure and correct alt modell, so far as possible) for that

wagsleadtom
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
sure at 3. loader stage(so called in game)

Sorry, JG53Frankyboy, but I don't know what that means. However, I will take the advice of you and others and try this again using the "arcade" guages and the Crimea map. I'll let you know in this thread what I find. Thanks very much to all and S!

MEGILE
06-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Did you kick the supercharger up a stage?

JG53Frankyboy
06-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by wagsleadtom:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sure at 3. loader stage(so called in game)

Sorry, JG53Frankyboy, but I don't know what that means. However, I will take the advice of you and others and try this again using the "arcade" guages and the Crimea map. I'll let you know in this thread what I find. Thanks very much to all and S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you have "Complicated Engine Management" activated?
if yes, the F6F in game use a low blower , medium blower and a high blower setting. the supercharger has to be shifted manually.
to stage 2 at 2500m , to stage 3 at 8100m.(check the README file in your instalation folder !)
you must select a button for this function in the key-settings.

wagsleadtom
06-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks very much, JG53Frankyboy (and others). I have been using complicated engine management, but forgot about the blower. I tried the Crimea map at 9,000 m., used stage 3 blower, and got 616 kmph which I guess is about right. Now if I could just figure out how to lean the mixture and to get this hog to turn like I think it should, I'd be a happy camper! I really appreciate the help, folks! Good hunting!

JG53Frankyboy
06-24-2005, 04:14 PM
lot of the US planes in PFm cant lower their mixture. they have only 120% setting and 100% .
100% is than working as auto.you havent to care about it.

you just have to try each plane for yourself.
the game dokumentation doenst help you in that - very bad , indeed........... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

rule, if you cant lower the mixture from 100% - than its automatik.
if its manual, wait till black smoke comes out of the engine

and flying normaly a Zero online i can tell you , this "Hog" can turn very fast and sharp, in speeds over 350km/h IAS . a Zero cant follow at that speed. BUT if you will be slow, than i will get you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wagsleadtom
06-24-2005, 04:27 PM
and flying normaly a Zero online i can tell you , this "Hog" can turn very fast and sharp, in speeds over 350km/h IAS . a Zero cant follow at that speed. BUT if you will be slow, than i will get you

I need to work on this some more, JG53Frankyboy. I'll try the Hellcat against the Zero a few more times and keep my energy up. Sadly, I really like turning fights (got used to them in the Hornet, 'cause it can slow fight 1v1 like nothing else I know). Thanks again for the help. Cheers and S!

roboas
06-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Yak 3p is close

wagsleadtom
06-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Right you are, roboas. I don't think I'd want to take an F/A-18 into a turning fight with any of the great fighter planes of WWII. Although the performance difference is huge (with a real advantage to the Hornet), a WWII fighter can likely eat a Hornet for lunch in a slow-speed fight, ie. below 200 Kts. The only thing I could do would be to power up and out of the fight, then come back in fast and kill him quickly.

VW-IceFire
06-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Right you are, roboas. I don't think I'd want to take an F/A-18 into a turning fight with any of the great fighter planes of WWII. Although the performance difference is huge (with a real advantage to the Hornet), a WWII fighter can likely eat a Hornet for lunch in a slow-speed fight, ie. below 200 Kts. The only thing I could do would be to power up and out of the fight, then come back in fast and kill him quickly.
And thats the sort of thing you should do with the Hellcat...just without the guided missiles, rotary cannon, and afterburners. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Awesome to hear from real pilots and particularly one that flies the high performance of the present day.

Which Hornets did you fly? The new E/F or the older A/B/C/D? I've seen alot of airshow displays (and other) of the Canadian Forces CF-18s and they are real beauties. Great stuff they can do.

p1ngu666
06-24-2005, 08:52 PM
silly question, but
when pulling high G, are u more likely to brown the trousers?

Enforcer572005
06-24-2005, 09:39 PM
yes, we seek knowledge as kiwis, since most of us will come no closer to real combat flying than this.We always seek info from real fighter pilots. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

I saw some great FA-18 flying by some marines at harlingen at the big airshow in 89....even the FB-111 and F-4D ANG guys were working the place over pretty good in between WW2 stuff coming in-out in the middle of southern texas with nothing but cactus around, i guess they werent as limited..miss all those older jets.

wagsleadtom
06-25-2005, 07:20 PM
To Any Who Might Be Interested: I flew the Hornet A/B models, in fact did some of the flight test for the early birds at NATC Pax River, MD, (Naval Air Test Center). Flew F-4's in Nam (two tours) and a bunch of other stuff over the 26 years I flew professionally including flight test for the Singapore A-4SU Super Skyhawk. I really enjoy FB/AEP/PF because the flying qualities are reasonably accurate (as far as commercial sims go, it is the best I've tried and I've tried them all) and I enjoy the variety of a/c. And no, p1ngu666, there is no tendency to "brown the trousers" when pulling high-g (unless, of course, someone is doing his best to kill you at the time!). Thanks to all who have helped and I'll check back to see if there are any follow on messages to this thread.

Cheers,

Wagsleadtom (by the way, "Wags" was my tactical call sign)

VW-IceFire
06-25-2005, 07:42 PM
To Any Who Might Be Interested: I flew the Hornet A/B models, in fact did some of the flight test for the early birds at NATC Pax River, MD, (Naval Air Test Center). Flew F-4's in Nam (two tours) and a bunch of other stuff over the 26 years I flew professionally including flight test for the Singapore A-4SU Super Skyhawk. I really enjoy FB/AEP/PF because the flying qualities are reasonably accurate (as far as commercial sims go, it is the best I've tried and I've tried them all) and I enjoy the variety of a/c. And no, p1ngu666, there is no tendency to "brown the trousers" when pulling high-g (unless, of course, someone is doing his best to kill you at the time!). Thanks to all who have helped and I'll check back to see if there are any follow on messages to this thread.

Cheers,

Wagsleadtom (by the way, "Wags" was my tactical call sign)
Hats off to you then! Thats quite a record...definately more than I'll ever see in a real cockpit I think.

Glad we were able to sort the Hellcat thing out. Look out for my 12 mission campaign coming soon for that particular aircraft.

wagsleadtom
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Glad we were able to sort the Hellcat thing out. Look out for my 12 mission campaign coming soon for that particular aircraft.

S! VW-IceFire. Thanks for the tip of your hat, but there were lots of guys who did much more than I ever did. I was just lucky to be able to fly with them over the years. I'll look for your Hellcat campaign!