PDA

View Full Version : Is stealth essential? is the game challengin? (AC2)

adarwinter
02-25-2010, 06:15 AM
since i am seriously on the fence if to buy AC2 for PC i have a few concerns not just regarding the DRM but the gameplay too.

in AC1 altair was practically a terminator dressed in robes. he could take more than 15 hits while his enemies could take around 5 or 6, and he could even regenerate his health while enemies couldnt. AC1 promoted stealth but stealth was never really anything worth doing since one could take more than 20 enemies at the same time. enemies that almost never used defence break or blocked....
there was no use of stealth unless the game FORCED u to use it as a mission restriction. this was a mechanical limitation that forced players into using stealth simply by failing them if they were seen.

also because of altairs ability to be more powerful than the bionic woman's and robocop's child, the game was ridiculously easy. i had to use a cheating program to limit altairs health to 3 synch-bars and finish the game THAT way to actually have some challenge and that actually made me use stealth more and run away occasionally so i wont have to deal with more than 7-9 enemies. only thanks to the cheating program i felt the exhilaration of combat and being chased or outnumbered.

My Questions are -

1)In AC2, is the game really easy? cuz it looks incredibly easy by the gameplay videos, just like AC1.

2) Is there a good reason to use stealth in AC2? does it help u in succeeding a mission where brute force would lead u to situations that are far more difficult?

thanks for sharing your experience. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

APHughes
02-25-2010, 06:44 AM
I wouldnt say AC2 was easy but its not over the top difficult either. Your health level can be increased or decreased based on what armour you choose to use and the amount of damage you inflict depends on the weapons you equip from your base.

Soldiers can counter your moves now and I have to say I do find it difficult to get Ezio to counter attacks. In AC1 I was 95% spot on when it came to countering. I particularly find it hard to disarm an enemy and usualy get hit once or twice beofre Im successful.

There are far more levels where stealth is required and Soldiers dont travel on their own anymore so you cant distract a grup guarding a door as easily by just killing one guard and letting the group come to investigate.

There are , I feel, very good reasons to use Stealth in AC2. Your health dosent regenerate although you can use a medicine bottle to recover health. When going for some targets there are a large amount of guards and there are more then one type now, some have swords, some have pikes and others have a Mace, Not to mention the Brutes who are covered in Armour and are harder to kill, so brute force could end up in too many guards for you to deal with and your targets mostly tend to flee if your spotted.

When I played AC2 first I just completed the missions and wasnt too concerned with Stealth. I went back and played it a second time and went for stealth kills only and I have to say I really enjoyed it more.

I suppose all I can do is reccomend this game as I love it and hope you agree with me. Its far longer then AC1 and has more characters and all round is possibly the best game of 2009/2010

adarwinter
02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
thanks for your response, mate. it's encouraging to hear that the game is more challenging.

also, i'd like to hear more about the AI. how they are better in AC2. feel free to elaborate. i wont get bored. :P

and please, i would love to hear other ppl's opinions regarding the first 2 issues (difficulty and stealth).

TreFacTor
02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I'd have to disagree, there are no difficulty settings and no real need for trial and error with the exception of a few trail missions. The only times I have died in the game were from falling. The Hidden Blade is the only weapon you really need, because it can counter any attack, which really didn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, loved the game, it's just not that challenging for someone who played the first game. If your spotted during an assassination, you can just kill everyone, so stealth isn't essential.

As far as the AI, they're not much better in AC2. for instance if you walk up to a group of guards, and punch one in the face, after you have killed 3, 2 will run. They should be running to get reinforcements, but they're just cowards. The notoriety system is good for getting into constant fights, but it's easy to run out of enemies to fight in a given area.

APHughes
02-25-2010, 12:24 PM
That is true about the hidden blade, It does feature more as your main weapon instead of the sword and I often found myself struggling in a fight before I realised I wasnt using my sword.

If your spotted during an assassination your target runs and if your not quick enough then they can get away. so I would say stealth is important but thats just my opinion.

Captain Tomatoz
02-25-2010, 05:12 PM
its as easy as you want to make it. You can go through the game getting the best armour and weapons and making alot of money. Or you could not upgrade at all and have little health which makes fights harder. Also you have a choice if you want to do assassinations stealthily or charge in and kill everyone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

adarwinter
02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
i think that the fun part of any type of upgrading system is that it makes u happy when u upgrade since u need it to get stronger.

if an upgrade makes u overpowered than it's not something u r looking forward to since u r doing just fine without it.

more questions -

1) but even so - is it possible to DOWN-grade your equipment? if i buy a new armor but i decide that it's too powerful and i want to return to a previous armor - can i do it?

2) same question about weapons - can i buy and use a less powerful weapon even if i have a great weapon at hand?

3) AC2 shows a lot of new toys like smoke bombs and poison and the ability to hire guys to fight with you. question is - if ezio is so powerful that he can take on 15 guys on his own, why would the player use all these new tools? what's the point?

Captain Tomatoz
02-26-2010, 04:27 PM
1) yes
2) yes
3) if you dont want to get into fights you can use these and its just cool to poisen people http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Wonderglue
02-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by adarwinter:
i think that the fun part of any type of upgrading system is that it makes u happy when u upgrade since u need it to get stronger.

if an upgrade makes u overpowered than it's not something u r looking forward to since u r doing just fine without it.

more questions -

1) but even so - is it possible to DOWN-grade your equipment? if i buy a new armor but i decide that it's too powerful and i want to return to a previous armor - can i do it?

2) same question about weapons - can i buy and use a less powerful weapon even if i have a great weapon at hand?

3) AC2 shows a lot of new toys like smoke bombs and poison and the ability to hire guys to fight with you. question is - if ezio is so powerful that he can take on 15 guys on his own, why would the player use all these new tools? what's the point?

I think you can. But you can't un-equip armor,you must have something at all times,even if it's leather.

And the tools are mostly used for fun. At the beginning it isn't that easy since you have small amounts of health,armor and weak weapons. But later on it's easier. And using Hired help can be useful,especially when you can't afford to fight (Chasing someone,carrying etc)

adarwinter
02-26-2010, 05:33 PM
oh. ok. hearing i can go back to weaker armor is good news.

when i upgraded my health and armor in AC1 i always felt "oh no, now the game is gonna be easier and more boring? darn." and that's definitely not what im supposed to feel when i upgrade.

another question -
4) in this video something is strange to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWudg7AnK4U&NR=1
at around 1:45 ezio goes down to a health of 1 and he constantly gets hit until he reaches zero but even though he gets to 0 and still gets hit - he never dies.
is he cheating or am i misunderstanding something about the health system?

5) is there a way in AC2 to make certain parts of the HUD disappear like in AC1?
is there a sound effect whenever your health regenerates back to a full diamond? in AC1 there was this weak sound effect telling u when your health recharges. wondering if recharging one diamond also makes that noise in AC2.

APHughes
02-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Q4) He is taking a hit and his health is going to 0 but he is not taking a final blow. Your health does not regenerate except for that one diamond.

Q5) When you say HUD do you mean the map? In that case yes you can turn off certain icons of the map and there is a very low noise when you take some medicine to regenerat your health but it wouldnt happen as much as AC1. Dont remeber if it happens when its one square

adarwinter
02-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by APHughes:
Q4) He is taking a hit and his health is going to 0 but he is not taking a final blow. Your health does not regenerate except for that one diamond.

Q5) When you say HUD do you mean the map? In that case yes you can turn off certain icons of the map and there is a very low noise when you take some medicine to regenerat your health but it wouldnt happen as much as AC1. Dont remeber if it happens when its one square

q4) he seems to be at 0 strength and get hit again a few times and he still doesnt die. the health diamond are empty and he still gets hit and lives.

q5) HUD means not just the map but also the health meter, the button actions (top right) and other indicators on the screen.
is it possible to take them off? maybe take off the health indicators over the enemies heads?
ezio health meter?

Dunklindonuts
02-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Yes, you can take the entire HUD down, the map, health of Ezio and others, money, it all can be taken down until nothing is on the screen but 15th century Italy.

adarwinter
02-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Dunklindonuts:
Yes, you can take the entire HUD down, the map, health of Ezio and others, money, it all can be taken down until nothing is on the screen but 15th century Italy.

really? even enemy's health? that's good news.