PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot/AutoLevel for bombers?

Comrade_Sasha
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi- new to PF! I'm learning the B-25 side of the house, but having trouble leveling out for runs using the bombsight. I have my keys bound for autopilot and level stabilizer, but when I key either one in I still fall off my course and altitude; this is in both offline and online play. What could I be doing wrong?

Crash_Moses
04-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Click on the link in my sig. It will tell you all you need to know about level bombing in the B-25.

And welcome! We need more bomber pilots...

S!

Comrade_Sasha
04-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I've printed out the manual already- good work! I'm still at a loss as to why my auto-features aren't operating properly, though.

I dial in my info into the bombsight and match speed and altitude, switch on level stabilizer and NADA- I still fall off altitude and course. I've got my NUM pad set up as you recommended and it's fine- I just don't know why I can't hold a level course. Could it have anything to do with having the NUM LOCK key on or off?

Comrade_Sasha
04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
NVM- I went back through my keypad settings and found I had bound a wrong key for level stab- I'm fairly consistent now +- 50m from target at 2500ft. Of course this isn't under fire, soooo we'll see how it goes later today!

Crash_Moses
04-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Roger that! Glad it helps.

The level stabilizer isn't perfect. Depending on bomb load, altitude, and speed you'll have to adjust your elevator trim and rudder trim to maintain a perfect heading.

In some instances, as annotated in the manual, you'll have to engage combat flaps to maintain altitude. For practice stick around 10,000ft 'till you get the hang of things. Before long you won't even need the charts!

S!

gdfo
04-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Try this.

For the B-25 engage combat flaps just before you engage Lev stab.

ytareh
04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
This caused me no end of trouble also.There are TWO different keys here.One is LEVEL STABILISER and the other is TOGGLE LEVEL AUTO PILOT I think.If you engage both the plane flies perfectly straight and tru...

Crash_Moses
04-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Hehe...nah...level stabiliser is the one you want.

The Toggle Level Autopilot is for when you hop from position to position in a bomber. If it's on then the autopilot automatically kicks in when you leave the pilot's seat to go to a gunner station or the bombadier station and then hands the gunner position back to the AI when you return to the pilot's seat.

If it's off then you have to manually disengage and engage the AI gunners as you jump from position to position.

I like to leave it off when I'm flying the SBD so I can shoot and fly the plane at the same time. Kinda tricky flying backwards but you get used to it.

Lurch1962
04-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Moses,
Sounds like what you're describing is called, "Toggle Autopilot Automation", or something very much like that.

--Lurch--

Crash_Moses
04-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Nope...it's Toggle Level Autopilot.

When you hit the assigned key the screen displays "Autopilot Automation On" or "Autopilot Automation off", but in the controls screen it's labeled Toggle Level Autopilot.

It's a bit confusing. I have no idea why they named it that way.

gdfo
04-25-2007, 05:06 AM
Autopilot Automation On" I think that this means that the bomber will automatically drop the bombs with out you having to do the set up witht the bombsite. You still need to have the bomber in straight and level flight.

Try using combat flaps and then level stabilizer and then hit the Autopilot automation on key and see what happens.

Crash_Moses
04-25-2007, 08:16 AM
sigh... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Only if you have a waypoint designated as ground attack in the mission AND autopilot for the bombadier is turned on. If there is no target designated in the mission the bombadier will never drop the bombs automatically.

All Toggle Level Autopilot does is determine whether or not the AI turns off when you enter a gunner position (including the bombadier) and then back on when you leave.

WWSensei
04-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by gdfo:
Autopilot Automation On" I think that this means that the bomber will automatically drop the bombs with out you having to do the set up witht the bombsite. You still need to have the bomber in straight and level flight.

Try using combat flaps and then level stabilizer and then hit the Autopilot automation on key and see what happens.

REPEAT AFTER ME: TOGGLE LEVEL AUTOPILOT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BOMBING.

Repeat that about 1 jillion times until it sinks in. All Toggle Level Autopilot does is set whether or not Autopilot engages when enter or leave a cockpit.

IT DOES NOT MEAN THE AUTOPILOT WILL FLY THE AIRCRAFT LEVEL.

Say it again.

Level Stabilizer is the command that keeps the wings level.

It is a very badly labeled command and many, many people keep confusing it with bombing. the word LEVEL refers to what level the autopilot setting is at not whether the aircraft will fly level.

polak5
04-26-2007, 09:21 AM
speaking of level stabilizers was the one on the JU-88 ever fixed... i remember it being not to effecient.