PDA

View Full Version : how cultural was the French Revolution compared to the Italian Renaissance

Radman500
11-28-2011, 06:31 PM
French Revolution, which me and most people on this forum believe... will be the setting for AC3

How cultural was the French Revolution compared to the Italian Renaissance....

I k now the French Revolution was alot more violent then during the times of the Italian Renaissance, but how was the French revolution cultural, scientific, intellectual etc. compared to the rennisance

did they have thinkers, scientists, did the french revolution produce great art, and artists.. or was it "less intellectual" then the Renaissance

Agentbarto
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
First off, we can't discuss the French revolution without discussing the American revolution. We can't discuss that without first discussing The Enlightenment.

Basically it's like comparing apples and oranges. The revolution in France was just as relevant to it's own culture as that renaissance was to Italian culture. Given that the renaissance sort of blended into the enlightenment, it's difficult to attribute (at least for me) specific global advancements in theology and science to either movement. So the far-reaching effects of either social experiment are difficult to contrast in terms of importance.

That being said, The revolution was a huge step forward in terms of social change for Western Europe. All the intellectual prep work was done during The Enlightenment. The French Revolution had massive political reprocussions for France (to this day part of it's law code is retained from Napoleon's reign; which occurred only because of the revolution) and the neighboring European nations, as well as many American societies.

PS: if you really want to get into it, it's easier to take an AP/college Euro. Hist. course because it structures cause and effect on a macro and microcosmic level.