PDA

View Full Version : What age should you let your kid play AC?

Bipolar Matt
10-18-2011, 06:53 AM
My son is 9 and developing similar interests to me, including video games.

Sure, there's blood and violence in the AC games. It isn't like the extreme blood, guts and dismemberment you see in games like Gears of War, Mortal Kombat or even Fallout, however.

Obviously, I'm not going to let my 9 year old son play Assassin's Creed yet. What would be an appropriate age, however? 12-13? Older still? Have any of you been through this before with your kids?

LightRey
10-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I think it depends a lot on what your kid's like. How mature he behaves and how well he's able to differentiate between fact and fiction. I'd say 12-13 would be an appropriate age to start.

EscoBlades
10-18-2011, 06:58 AM
I don't have kids, but in the UK, Assassin's Creed is rated PEGI 15. If i had kids, i certainly wouldn't let them play the game at an age younger than 15.

RexCry07dvd
10-18-2011, 07:06 AM
I am from Romania( from Europe ) and i have the same rate (15) as UK but I played the game since 11 (4 years ago, the first assassin creed) so I dont think is a bad thing....(also since then I am a big fan and I have all the games from the franchise)

LightRey
10-18-2011, 07:10 AM
I started playing Halo when I was about 13 years old. It never had any negative effects on me as far as I, my friends or my parents can tell.

kudos17
10-18-2011, 07:19 AM
As LightRey said, it depends entirely on how mature the child is.

The reason games have ratings a certain age is because that age is generally recognized as the point where a person is mature enough to understand that any material in the game is just that - a game. Sexual acts, instances of violence, etc. in any virtual world should be separated from the real one.

Just because you slaughter innocents by the cartloads because your evil king told you to, does not mean you should do it in real life. That's a bit of an exaggeration, admittedly, but the truth is the same idea.

In cases like Assassins Creed, you WILL "adapt" to the mindset. You may not notice, but you will be more prone to parkour and violence. You'll never act on it, of course - you know far better. But it'll be there, creeping in the back of your mind.

With children, especially young in maturity, this difference may not be separated. I'm not saying a kid would go on a killing spree, but jumping on to dangerous objects? Leaps of faith? Who knows?

The point is, there should be a minimum age despite maturity. That's up half to the parent, half to the ratings system in the area. As for maturity level, that is completely up to the parent.

If one doesn't feel that their child is mature enough to understand that assassinations may be fun to play - but are in reality very serious and dangerous things not to be taken lightly - then they shouldn't let their child play quite yet. It's up to the parent, though.

EDIT: As a sidenote, I played a mature game when I was... six, I believe? I think it was the only one my parents allowed at that time (Giants: Citizen Kabuto on PC, I think it was?). Anyway, it never had a single effect on me. Every kid's different.

dave93vert
10-18-2011, 07:25 AM
i'm 33 yrs old at the moment. started with colecovision system when i was about 8-9, then atari in elementary school, then nintendo/supernes in juniorhigh and so on. at 8-9 the games i played were donky kong junior and such games. nowadays its different material, and more violent too. i have 2 daughters of 2 and 3 yrs, they get very excited over cartoons and toys, and toy commercials: "daddy i want that toy" is often heard here. i would def wait til they were over 10 to play video games and def control what they played and "how" they played, meaning do they fight over it, do they get upset when losing, is it affecting them emotionally, are they getting addicted, is it affecting grades or sleep?...... then again girls arent into games and i'll be pipelining my girls into real sports so they can be athletes like daddy was. good luck to u sir

Krayus Korianis
10-18-2011, 07:28 AM
UK 15, US about 15-17.

LightRey
10-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:
UK 15, US about 15-17.
Is that your advice or are you just telling what the game's rating is?

taz838838
10-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Depends on what you believe, as at the end of the day you have control over whether or not he plays Assassins Creed. If you are worried about the blood etc there is an option to turn it off (correct?).

Personally, now I really do mean personally, If I had a son who was 11, would not let my son play it at this age for one specific reason; he will probably get addicted. For that reason I would not let him play until he is considerably mature to not get consumed by gaming in general, because gaming is a pretty addictive substance don't you agree?

ProletariatPleb
10-18-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm 15 now and I've been playing games since.....a very loooooooong time, started AC1 in 2007(when I was 11-12yrs old). I feel I'm mature enough.

twenty_glyphs
10-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by taz838838:
Depends on what you believe, as at the end of the day you have control over whether or not he plays Assassins Creed. If you are worried about the blood etc there is an option to turn it off (correct?).

Yes, there is an option to turn off the blood. I have used it for all 3 games so far because I do not like to see blood. It doesn't make me queasy, but I enjoy it much more without it. I really appreciate that the developers put that in the game, because there are some other mature games I'd like to play but am turned off by the amount of blood in them.

lukaszep
10-18-2011, 10:06 AM
It depends on your kid. If he's mature enough to realize that it's complete fiction, then possibly 13 or 14. But the AC games seem to be getting more and more violent and are keeping the same ratings.

Bipolar Matt
10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
I had not considered turning off blood. Thanks.

A lot of good points here. My son does play games now. He plays MLB 2K7, he's played through Lego Star Wars and I just bough Lego Batman for him a couple weeks ago. He enjoys those a lot and does pretty well at them.

I'm not too worried about him getting addicted. Most of the time he'd rather be outside with his friends and when he does play, my wife and I limit his time and he mostly cooperates. He only argues when we tell him to stop and he's not at a convenient stopping point, which I can sort of understand.

Nor am I too concerned about him hurting people. He is quite mature for his age and knows better. He's a genuinely nice, caring kid. I still wouldn't want to get a phone call from the school saying he and his friends were playing "Assassins vs. Borgia" on the playground and they were pretend stabbing each other.

The only thing that does concern me is the parkour aspect. He knows enough about the games that I could see him trying to climb the house or try to balance run on a staircase rail or something like that.

So yeah...I think 12-13 in his case will be the right age for my son.

He also knows enough about the games (I've let him watch selected non-violent parts as I play) that he really wants to visit Italy with me one day and see all the landmarks. Which is kinda cool.

EnterinPwnZone
10-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Here in Belgium it's 18+ and I'm not 18 yet but still playing it

Serrachio
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by dave93vert:
i'm 33 yrs old at the moment. started with colecovision system when i was about 8-9, then atari in elementary school, then nintendo/supernes in juniorhigh and so on. at 8-9 the games i played were donky kong junior and such games. nowadays its different material, and more violent too. i have 2 daughters of 2 and 3 yrs, they get very excited over cartoons and toys, and toy commercials: "daddy i want that toy" is often heard here. i would def wait til they were over 10 to play video games and def control what they played and "how" they played, meaning do they fight over it, do they get upset when losing, is it affecting them emotionally, are they getting addicted, is it affecting grades or sleep?...... then again girls arent into games and i'll be pipelining my girls into real sports so they can be athletes like daddy was. good luck to u sir

You're wrong there because that is a misconception. A girl can play and get into games as much as a guy can, it is just that gaming is consisted around a 60:40 guy to girl ratio.

superkootje
10-18-2011, 10:13 AM
I think i would let kids play Assassin's Creed earlier then i would let them play GTA.
I am 15 years old right now so I started with AC when I was like 13 or something?
And my parents were okay with it.

masterfenix2009
10-18-2011, 12:09 PM
I have played mature games since I was 10. I let my 5 year old brother play it and nothing happened to him

E-Zekiel
10-18-2011, 12:25 PM
I will echo what others have said - how mature is your child? Does he distinguish fantasy from reality? Does he have critical thinking skills to appreciate the intellectual content of the game? Etc etc.

Personally, I was playing Turok at age 8. Turok 2? Blowing peoples' heads off and their bodies fall over and pool blood on the ground. Turok: Rage Wars, zap a guy with an alien baby and it bursts out of their chest.

But I knew it was just a game. It was in no way a problem for me.

If your child is mature, the only "problem" would be that he may not be old/smart enough to appreciate the intellectual content of the game. But in that regard, he could always just play it again when he is older.

misterB2001
10-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I have an 11 year old boy who is very sensible for his age, he's also massively interested in the whole assassins creed story. I offered him a chance to play them, he declined stating he was too young and told me I shouldn't be encouraging him to play violent games.

As I said, sensible kid http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Animuses
10-18-2011, 01:25 PM
If you're kid is as mature as you say he is, then you should let him play around the age of 12.

Originally posted by misterB2001:
I offered him a chance to play them, he declined stating he was too young and told me I shouldn't be encouraging him to play violent games.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Beati_Paoli
10-18-2011, 01:33 PM
i hate kids!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif i try to return mine at least once a week!

iNJW
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm 15 so obviously i can play it, but i have been with assassins creed since the first game, i got it right after my 12th birthday, and i wasnt particuarly bothered by the blood as i used to big a big fan of lord of the rings and the matrix, alright, they arent exactly assassins creed, but i understood the plot, obviously i understand more as it goes on and i get more intelligent, but if anything i find assassins creed educational, since playing it, i understand and respect history much more, i know so much more about gaps in our past that i wouldn't have batted an eyelid to a couple of years ago, and it generally makes me interested about my ancestors and my background. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif hope this helps...

-N

Master_Rahl
10-18-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't think age really factors in. It's about maturity, and maturity differs from person to person. I was playing Grand Theft Auto at seven years old. I was raised well, I was a polite and kind person. I always knew the difference between video game and reality. On the other hand, there are some sixteen year olds who wouldn't be mature enough to play those kinds of games.

I mean, I'm a vegetarian, I would never hurt as much as a bug, but I love hunting games. Even though I love hunting games, I could and can still distinguish the difference between game and reality.

Assuming I raise my children to be as mature as I hope I will, I'll probably let them read the Sword of Truth novels for the first time at around age ten to thirteen. Assassin's Creed from the time they are eight or nine.

Mad_Fox84
10-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by iNJW:
I'm 15 so obviously i can play it, but i have been with assassins creed since the first game, i got it right after my 12th birthday, and i wasnt particuarly bothered by the blood as i used to big a big fan of lord of the rings and the matrix, alright, they arent exactly assassins creed, but i understood the plot, obviously i understand more as it goes on and i get more intelligent, but if anything i find assassins creed educational, since playing it, i understand and respect history much more, i know so much more about gaps in our past that i wouldn't have batted an eyelid to a couple of years ago, and it generally makes me interested about my ancestors and my background. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif hope this helps...

-N
This is true. If you put it another way, playing assassins creed could be more like a history lesson. Yes there is some blood and violence, but if your kid is mature enough to handle it, then there is nothing wrong with him playing at an earlier age.

rileypoole1234
10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I think I was twelve when I first played AC1. I think that's a good age to let him play it at, seeing as AC's not nearly as violent as other games. But, my mum almost didn't let me play it, she did because I got my shoulder length hair cut. I'd say that 12-13 is a suitable age. It's really how you feel though. If you feel he's mature enough to play it, then you're probably right.

persiateddy95
10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I've been playing +16 rated games since I was 10.

It's all about how mature you are. I've never tried to do anything I did on games. Because it's a game...

Originally posted by kudos17:
Sexual acts,
I like this.

xCr0wnedNorris
10-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BipolarMatt:
My son is 9
Good time for AC1. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
Turn off the blood if you think that's a bit much.

Assassin_881
10-18-2011, 03:01 PM
im 13 and i played mortal kombat when i was 3 so he can play it

Dieinthedark
10-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm 18 in US and not supposed to play it according to my parents... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

LightRey
10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Dieinthedark:
I'm 18 in US and not supposed to play it according to my parents... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif
What!? HERESY!

Krayus Korianis
10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:
UK 15, US about 15-17.
Is that your advice or are you just telling what the game's rating is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No that's my advice. Unless the child knows that it's just a game and not reality then probably younger. The adult can also turn off blood.

Jexx21
10-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes, and obviously nationality makes a huge difference >.>

Originally posted by Assassin_881:
im 13 and i played mortal kombat when i was 3 so he can play it

You might wanna jump into some more books and less mature rated video games.

Originally posted by Dieinthedark:

You're legally an adult, and unless you still have siblings that aren't legal adults, there is no logical reason to not let you play M rated games.

SweetsMachineGun
10-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave93vert:
then again girls arent into games and i'll be pipelining my girls into real sports so they can be athletes like daddy was. good luck to u sir

You're wrong there because that is a misconception. A girl can play and get into games as much as a guy can, it is just that gaming is consisted around a 60:40 guy to girl ratio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, what? Gotta agree with Serrachio. I'm a girl and I love Assassin's Creed. I've been playing games since I was 5 years old. That said, I'm currently 23, and if I had a kid I would not let them play until 15 because of the violence.

Jexx21
10-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Err... I encounter a lot of girl gamers.

I have no idea where he got the idea that no girls game. Unless he's referring to the X-Box populous where I heard when guys hear girls talking on the mic they curse at them and tell them to get back in the kitchen.

>.< I'm sometimes really glad that a lot of people consider PC gaming to be dead so we don't get so many ******s.

Krayus Korianis
10-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
Err... I encounter a lot of girl gamers.

I have no idea where he got the idea that no girls game. Unless he's referring to the X-Box populous where I heard when guys hear girls talking on the mic they curse at them and tell them to get back in the kitchen.

>.< I'm sometimes really glad that a lot of people consider PC gaming to be dead so we don't get so many ******s.

Too true. I couldn't give a darn either way. Girls and guys game, that's life. Those who don't believe women game, can go get a life tbh.

xCr0wnedNorris
10-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Unless he's referring to the X-Box populous where I heard when guys hear girls talking on the mic they curse at them and tell them to get back in the kitchen.
From what I understand, they mostly get confused for 10 year-old boys and get insulted that way. Until they actually explain they're girls. THEN they get told to get back in the kitchen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Jexx21
10-18-2011, 09:16 PM
I hate it when people are sexist..

I wonder if the ratio of sexist people is relative to the ratio of intelligence..

masterfenix2009
10-18-2011, 11:16 PM

I wonder if the ratio of sexist people is relative to the ratio of intelligence.. or the ratio of racist or homophobic

LightRey
10-19-2011, 12:03 AM

I wonder if the ratio of sexist people is relative to the ratio of intelligence..
Hard to test. Intelligence isn't very well defined and quite often people are falsely accused of discrimination.

SleezeRocker
10-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Well as many users have put it here, it's all about your own kids maturity level. If you think he would play AC and then..say at recess at school emulate an Assassin and shanked another kid with a twig and says he's an Assassin..proablby best you don't let him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But if you believe he can be mature enough to play then, you as the parent, decide if you believe he can behave maturely with AC.

Me...my first M game was Mortal Kombat 3 and I was like 5(I remember since my dad gave it to me for my birthday and obviously M games were easily accesible like 10 years ago compared to now). though the templar (mom) HATES with a passion for gaming so I would get yelled at for just playing for 1/2 an hour lol. But I have great parents, learn right from wrong,etc, so I play fine and not emulate what I played. So im fairly mature if I say so myself...obviously if I choose to be http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

IF I were to be parent down the road, I would let my kid play M games... when he's old enough and/or depending his maturity. If I can see they are fairly mature, know right from wrong, and know they would react crazy or do things, id let them play say when they 13 or something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dave93vert
10-19-2011, 05:52 AM
to original poster:
yes parkour effect is rampant, u can see it on youtube where kids are dressing as Altair in public and climbing/jumping home roofs, and even using public buildings. kinda entertaining to watch though.

rebuttal to me saying "girls arent into games":
my statement doent mean that zero girls play games, it means girls arent "into it". girls in my neighborhood the age of my girls are into ballet, gymnastics, karate, toys etc... older girls like my nieces 13-21 are into college, school sports, academics, cheerleading, etc... So gaming is not high on the "what girls are into" list. its all dependant on parental upbringing that dictates what kids should be into. u need to control that aspect of life, people say smoking cigarrettes are gateway drugs to harder things. i think nowadays videogame content is the initial gateway to real life influences...... how many games depict sexual content, drugs, violence? good luck to u all.

johnnyhayek
10-19-2011, 06:09 AM
You people overestimate the effects of video games. I used to play Max Payne, Red Alert, Counter Strike, Half-Life, GTA III when I was 8 years old. I mean, they're just objects of fun. It's not like I learn from them or something...

dxsxhxcx
10-19-2011, 07:05 AM
if I had a son, the violence wouldn't be the reason why I wouldn't let him play AC, violence is something we see everyday on TV (to not say everywhere), it's not something exclusive of video games, I wouldn't let him play because of the way they show religion in the game, I believe this theme is a little strong for a kid to face at an young age, some might face this well while others not, so I would probably allow my son to play AC when he had around 13~14 years old when I believe he would be mature enough to understand (a big part by himself) what religion is and understand that people have different beliefs and respect that...

SixKeys
10-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Where I live, all the AC games are rated 18+. I think I could let my kid get away with playing the games at 14-15 years old, but not earlier. I saw a lot of violence and sex in movies when I was a kid and I'd like to think it never affected the person I grew up to be, but it's kinda hard to say that about yourself. Who knows how they may have affected me?

Games are different from movies anyway since you're much more involved. Some kids get addicted more easily than others, for some it affects their sleep, some take failure in games much more personally. Like others have said, it's about maturity, but with a violent game like AC I would still draw the line at 14 or 15 years.

k20ml
10-19-2011, 09:36 AM
I agree with this guy-dxsxhxcx. Although I am unbiased with any religion out there. This could cause your child some confusion with whatever you believe in. Violence...not a big deal.

LightRey
10-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
if I had a son, the violence wouldn't be the reason why I wouldn't let him play AC, violence is something we see everyday on TV (to not say everywhere), it's not something exclusive of video games, I wouldn't let him play because of the way they show religion in the game, I believe this theme is a little strong for a kid to face at an young age, some might face this well while others not, so I would probably allow my son to play AC when he had around 13~14 years old when I believe he would be mature enough to understand (a big part by himself) what religion is and understand that people have different beliefs and respect that...
I totally agree with you, though again this is highly dependent on what your kid's like.

ShaneO7K
10-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Would base it on how mature they are. I have no real problem with the violence, because they is much worse than AC out there. It's just getting a child to understand certain themes in the game, and you will get some children who have played AC and take whatever happens in the game to be fact just because they see real historical figures in the game.

Definetly on more than one occasion I had children round the age of 10-12 talking about how the assassins and templars were still fighting.

LightRey
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
The point is, you shouldn't be thinking so much in terms of age, but rather if they can deal with the concepts that are in the game in a good way.

Bipolar Matt
10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
You know, I hadn't thought of the religious aspect of the games at all. That could be a source of conflict between my wife and I. I'm a "lapsed Christian", I guess you could say, more spiritual now than anything else in my beliefs. My wife on the other hand, is a committed Lutheran. And we have a standing agreement that I will discuss my religious beliefs with my kids or change theirs until they are confirmed in their church.

A couple of Al Mualim's speeches from AC1 and the whole episode in the Sistine Chapel/Vault of AC2 come to mind. I could just picture my son asking questions about that afterward and not sure what I would tell him.

Lass4r
10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
The age limit in your country is a good guideline, but I'll have to repeat what everyone else said, it's all subjective.

For example, in Norway, you have to be 18 years or older to play AC. Now, I think I was actually 16-17 when I bought AC1 while on vacation in Rome where the age limit is 15.
Is that fine? I'm in no way violent, and I think I was mentally mature enough at that point. It's not like I carefully considered the ups and downs of doing so. I had heard AC was great and wanted to try it, so I bought it.

I guess my point is that as long as you as a parent can control what your child does, buys or plays consider the ability of your child to seperate reality from play and casually raining arrows down on guards in AC from actually performing a massacre in real life.

Children can't take more than we think, that's a myth, but some can.

lukaszep
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
The point is, you shouldn't be thinking so much in terms of age, but rather if they can deal with the concepts that are in the game in a good way.

Hit the nail on the head.
But considering that society has become more and more uncensored since the days of The Good The Bad and The Ugly (which got an 18 rating at the time just for having guns), some children don't have a choice and grow up having to deal with violent concepts such as guns and blood in films with 12 ratings.

LordWolv
10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
The answer, kids. (https://lds.org/youth/video/things-as-they-really-are?lang=eng)

Assasination-G
10-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Well, that's completely as many have stated, how is your child?

How does he act, how does he react to things etc.

I played Grand Theft Auto 3 on a age of 6/7/8 not sure how old but not higher never had a bad effect on me, more because i knew killing people etc. isn't what you should be doing, that's what VideoGames are actually for, doing things you would never want to do or just never do in Real-Life

SixKeys
10-20-2011, 03:25 PM
I find it interesting how many people are so certain that playing violent games never affected them growing up. How do you know this? Because you're not out there killing people in RL? The effect doesn't have to be as explicit as that. There are other, subtler effects that can creep in without our even noticing. Most people who are addicted to video games will deny it because they can't look at themselves objectively. Kids who think they're old enough to handle blood and guts will find chaotic, disturbing images flashing through their minds before falling asleep. People who are used to winning at every online game can start applying the same standards to real life achievements, and get irrationally angry when they don't always come out as #1 at everything they do.

There are certain movies I remember watching as a kid that had a profound effect on me because I didn't yet have the tools to comprehend certain issues they raised. I don't regret having seen those movies, I just regret having seen them at a certain age because I'm sure I would have benefited from them a lot more had I been a few years older.

I'm honestly curious how people are planning on policing their child's maturity level. How exactly do you determine what's going on inside your child's head when they see certain images? Just by asking them? How can you be sure they will always tell the truth? How do you know they even know the truth? They may think they're mature enough, but they may also believe themselves old enough to be having sex at 13. How do you decide your child is mature enough to do this or that? How can you be so sure that at their age you were as mature as you thought?

LightRey
10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by SixKeys:
I find it interesting how many people are so certain that playing violent games never affected them growing up. How do you know this? Because you're not out there killing people in RL? The effect doesn't have to be as explicit as that. There are other, subtler effects that can creep in without our even noticing. Most people who are addicted to video games will deny it because they can't look at themselves objectively. Kids who think they're old enough to handle blood and guts will find chaotic, disturbing images flashing through their minds before falling asleep. People who are used to winning at every online game can start applying the same standards to real life achievements, and get irrationally angry when they don't always come out as #1 at everything they do.

There are certain movies I remember watching as a kid that had a profound effect on me because I didn't yet have the tools to comprehend certain issues they raised. I don't regret having seen those movies, I just regret having seen them at a certain age because I'm sure I would have benefited from them a lot more had I been a few years older.

I'm honestly curious how people are planning on policing their child's maturity level. How exactly do you determine what's going on inside your child's head when they see certain images? Just by asking them? How can you be sure they will always tell the truth? How do you know they even know the truth? They may think they're mature enough, but they may also believe themselves old enough to be having sex at 13. How do you decide your child is mature enough to do this or that? How can you be so sure that at their age you were as mature as you thought?
I'm not basing it just on what I think, but also on what my friends an parents think. I wouldn't say that they didn't have any effect on me, but I really don't believe they had a negative effect on me. In fact, I would say they had a positive effect on me. They helped me philosophize about things and, quite importantly, they helped me vent my bottled up emotions in a controlled and harmless way. There are many studies out there that suggest that people who play games with lots of violence are generally less aggressive irl (the opposite goes for racing games).

Gnome Scat II
10-20-2011, 04:11 PM
If you think you're kid would go around stabbing people and jumping off of 5 story buildings into hay barrels then no. But, if he seems mature, not very violent, and has played other M games, then yes. If he is just starting with M games, I would recommend to start with AC.

Skuldpt
10-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Well I'm 14 years old now and I am a girl, I started to play Battlefield 2 when I was 8-9? Before that I only knew Super Mario, Sonic, Pikmin and Spyro! But I'm very mature! You should know that there are sexual and violent sequences but there is also lots of parkour, and if your kid isn't very mature he should wait for 12 or 13. But, you can always get him the books! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SixKeys
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm not basing it just on what I think, but also on what my friends an parents think. I wouldn't say that they didn't have any effect on me, but I really don't believe they had a negative effect on me. In fact, I would say they had a positive effect on me. They helped me philosophize about things and, quite importantly, they helped me vent my bottled up emotions in a controlled and harmless way. There are many studies out there that suggest that people who play games with lots of violence are generally less aggressive irl (the opposite goes for racing games).

Like I said before, it's not just about developing aggressive tendencies. Violence can have different effects on different people, even if they know it's fictionalized. Some people get scared, some get depressed, others become aggressive. I'm not saying every kid who plays violent games like AC will start running around stabbing people. I'm saying it might give them nightmares or have some other effect on them that may not be discovered until years later, if ever.

My point is that people are generally less good at predicting their own or someone else's maturity level, especially if that person is close to them. How often do we hear from shocked neighbors or parents whose child committed suicide or killed someone else, going: "We don't understand it, he always seemed like such a happy, balanced person"? (Note: I'm not saying these cases necessarily had anything to do with video games.)

You can't always tell what's going through someone else's head. You can't tell what seemingly small thing can have a profound effect on them. Nowadays there are generations of dads and mums who grew up playing video games and I'm sure many of them see games as something fun to do with their kids, without properly considering whether the kid is really old enough to handle the concepts shown in the game. Age restrictions for games and movies exist for the same reason we have age restrictions for things like alcohol and sex. Sure, some kids will always be more mature at an earlier age than others and perfectly able to handle certain concepts. But you can never accurately predict which ones they are. It's not always the seemingly happy, balanced ones.

LightRey
10-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by SixKeys:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

Like I said before, it's not just about developing aggressive tendencies. Violence can have different effects on different people, even if they know it's fictionalized. Some people get scared, some get depressed, others become aggressive. I'm not saying every kid who plays violent games like AC will start running around stabbing people. I'm saying it might give them nightmares or have some other effect on them that may not be discovered until years later, if ever.

My point is that people are generally less good at predicting their own or someone else's maturity level, especially if that person is close to them. How often do we hear from shocked neighbors or parents whose child committed suicide or killed someone else, going: "We don't understand it, he always seemed like such a happy, balanced person"? (Note: I'm not saying these cases necessarily had anything to do with video games.)

You can't always tell what's going through someone else's head. You can't tell what seemingly small thing can have a profound effect on them. Nowadays there are generations of dads and mums who grew up playing video games and I'm sure many of them see games as something fun to do with their kids, without properly considering whether the kid is really old enough to handle the concepts shown in the game. Age restrictions for games and movies exist for the same reason we have age restrictions for things like alcohol and sex. Sure, some kids will always be more mature at an earlier age than others and perfectly able to handle certain concepts. But you can never accurately predict which ones they are. It's not always the seemingly happy, balanced ones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course, but the workings of such things are far too complicated for the cause to be attributed to a single source such as a video game. Most often such behavior is caused by a number of different events (or lack thereof) during the child's life.

Besides, our generations are technically the ones acting strange. It's only really a common principle during the past few centuries that children be kept largely ignorant of things such as sex and violence and there are numerous studies that show that that might actually not be such a good thing. The fact of the matter is that children are often more than capable of understanding such things. In fact, they're probably better at it. It's more often the people that are introduced to such things at a later age that become overwhelmed and unable to appropriately deal with it.

wsexson
10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
When their hands are big enough to manage the controller properly.

RangerRico
10-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm 15 and my parents pretty heavily censor anything that is in my life, and they were both perfectly fine with me playing the first assassins creed back when it came out, and everyone since then. However, I think 9 is too young, my younger brother whos is 9 plays CoD and AC, and they have both turned him into a really unpleasant person with anger management issues. I think a nine year old is still developing a personality that won't really become they're own until theyre about 11, and these types of games could skew it. Mature games don't only have mature content, but also have a higher difficulty level that can be just plain frustrating for younger people.
But like everyone in front of me said, it's a judgement thing, but my recommendation is about 11 years old.

Grandmaster_Z
10-21-2011, 08:28 AM
i would teach them from the day they are born...to play the game...to become an assassin..

luckyto
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I have a 10-year old and a 6-year old, both girls, and the answer is somewhere around 16.... maybe. There is no way I would let them play now. Not just for the violence, but the sexual innuendo is the real deal breaker. I don't even let them watch me play. If they happen to walk in when I am playing, I usually tone it down and just free roam for a minute.

But that's me. I'm fine with erring on the side of caution when it comes to my kids. I do know some of my friends who have let their boys play it at a really young age (8) and I just don't agree with that... to each their own.

LordWolv
10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by RangerRico:
I'm 15 and my parents pretty heavily censor anything that is in my life, and they were both perfectly fine with me playing the first assassins creed back when it came out, and everyone since then. However, I think 9 is too young, my younger brother whos is 9 plays CoD and AC, and they have both turned him into a really unpleasant person with anger management issues. I think a nine year old is still developing a personality that won't really become they're own until theyre about 11, and these types of games could skew it. Mature games don't only have mature content, but also have a higher difficulty level that can be just plain frustrating for younger people.
But like everyone in front of me said, it's a judgement thing, but my recommendation is about 11 years old.
No offence, of course - But you're only saying 9 is too young because your parents have influenced you to believe age ratings should be followed.

dave93vert
10-21-2011, 11:17 AM
yea the question itself is canon political, so there will be both for and against. some with kids will be responsible with their kids' hobbies, others wont care at all. its all relative. fun question though, wish i had been the one to ask it, lol.

r4inm4n1991
10-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Well, first of all i think that your a good parent cuz your obviously worried about your child mental health.
I think that if your son or daughter want to play it and feel confortable with the game let it play, BUT warn him about whats wrong and whats not, and another important thing: Keep an eye while he/she plays and help him/her to understand the cool story behind the bloody gameplay!

SaintedPie22
11-29-2012, 10:57 PM
kids should be playing any games they understand and know the difference between GAMESand REAL LIFE if u don't do not play these sort of games or parents will blame the games if we do something wrong or act wrong even if it is not true

InfectedNation
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
kids should be playing any games they understand and know the difference between GAMESand REAL LIFE if u don't do not play these sort of games or parents will blame the games if we do something wrong or act wrong even if it is not true

I'm sorry but you just joined, and posted in a year old thread????????

Welcome to the forums anyway :P

albertwesker22
11-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I've been playing AC since the day AC 1 was released. I was 15 then, and have been playing more violent games since way before that. First game I completed was the first mortal kombat game when I was like 5.

If my kid(which I don't have) wanted to play AC, I'd let him. Aslong as he knew how to play, I can't stand seeing amateurish AC gameplay ;)

TwelveAlpha
11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
My son is only 1.5 so I'm pretty far from making that decision. Of course it depends quite a bit on what he is like. If he was doing well in school and seemed to be well balanced and didn't get too engrossed in fantasy/video game content I would prolly let him play around 14.

TheGojiraGamer
03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Call me crazy, but the ESRB says you should be at least 17 to play AC so I'd say...17.

joshoolhorst
01-02-2016, 11:53 PM
I played Mortal Kombat at the age of 7 untill my parents SAW it was extremly violent after two weeks playing the game. But they let me play GTA 4 at a young age to so yeah. Well they don't alow fatalities so oké I guess.

And I started Assassin's Creed Series at the age of 10. I don't even know why my parents even let me play those games PEGI 18 in my country and when I asked my parents they said something about maturity and they knew I thought it was fake.

How do you know that exactly? I see alot of people saying that in the comment section things like that.
what is going in my head or somebodies els head, sure you can observe a child and have many people around him but who knows.
Look I was a story, adventure open world fan since I started playing games and I found Assassin's Creed one of the most beautifull storys ever told. The animus, the memorys, the creed, the history, how we think and TWCB.

It didn't effect me the violence and sexuality I think but how do I know that. What happened if I never played those games will I still look at things the same.
I always turn blood of if it's not needed, overdone and fake.

I find this interesting subjects to speak of. And in my opinion I rather have a 13 year old play Assassin's Creed then a 10 year old. Looking at AC now it's getting more violent.
I'm older now and not a little kid anymore.
Sorry for my English

VernalBreak
01-03-2016, 12:14 AM
My firm beleif is that ac is not bad for kids. As long as they know right from wrong its not an issue as assassins are fighting for a good cause.
I wouldn't recommend letting a very little kid play ac but as long as you stay away from AC2, Unity, and Syndicate I think you could let a 10 yr old play.
Why I say syndicate, unity, and 2 is for these reasons (I will be sure not to spoil anything) :
AC2, There is a very prominent feature of prostitutes in the game and quite a bit of sexual dialogue.
Unity, There is a scene where a man graphicly loses a leg and there is a lot of gross side missions.
Syndicate, There is a scene where I guy gets a crude tool embedded in his head. I won't give details because I won't spoil.

So basically, as long as kids know right from wrong and stay away from the more disturbing games I think a 10 yr old could play.

cawatrooper9
01-04-2016, 04:12 PM
I started playing when AC1 was first released. I was 16, and honestly, I feel like I wasn't mature enough to really enjoy the series back then.

I introduced the game to my then 10 and 12 year old sister and brother respectively last year. They played AC1-ACR. There were probably some things that they shouldn't have seen, but they loved it and it really wasn't all that inappropriate for them for the most part.

I'm not sure that they'll be able to continue for a while, though. I've noticed that the language gets a lot harsher after ACR, and my parents are pretty strict about language and sex in media- violence isn't really an issue for them. Typical Americans, we are, I guess :p

DynaRider
01-04-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm 78 years old and when I was a kid I played many hours of cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, army and Air Force. Couldn't even begin to count the number of times I've died an agonizing death after being shot with a cap gun six shooter or a finger pointed at me accompanied by appropriate gun sounds. Cowboy heroes such as Gene Autry and Roy Rogers routinely shot all manner of bad guys. I grew up hunting and fishing and have had all manner of fire arms from bow and arrows to pistols as did most of my childhood friends. Over the years not one of the people I grew up with have committed a crime or killed anyone other than in military combat service. Granted that depictions of killing were not nearly as graphic as today but we still were subjected to movies and later on television programs with various levels of violence.

My great grandson who just turned 10 is a big fan of Assassin's Creed and I have no concerns that he will ever be anything but a responsible, law abiding adult. It's up to a parent to judge if a kid is capable of playing video games without developing an obsession with violence and bloodshed. There will always be some who will succumb to the siren song but given the millions of young and old around the world playing responsibly I don't think we need worry much. Parents do though need to take and active interest in what their children are doing and insure they are not developing an unhealthy obsession.

cawatrooper9
01-04-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm 78 years old and when I was a kid I played many hours of cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, army and Air Force. Couldn't even begin to count the number of times I've died an agonizing death after being shot with a cap gun six shooter or a finger pointed at me accompanied by appropriate gun sounds. Cowboy heroes such as Gene Autry and Roy Rogers routinely shot all manner of bad guys. I grew up hunting and fishing and have had all manner of fire arms from bow and arrows to pistols as did most of my childhood friends. Over the years not one of the people I grew up with have committed a crime or killed anyone other than in military combat service. Granted that depictions of killing were not nearly as graphic as today but we still were subjected to movies and later on television programs with various levels of violence.

My great grandson who just turned 10 is a big fan of Assassin's Creed and I have no concerns that he will ever be anything but a responsible, law abiding adult. It's up to a parent to judge if a kid is capable of playing video games without developing an obsession with violence and bloodshed. There will always be some who will succumb to the siren song but given the millions of young and old around the world playing responsibly I don't think we need worry much. Parents do though need to take and active interest in what their children are doing and insure they are not developing an unhealthy obsession.

Wait, are you really 78?

That's really cool, if so! Good to see how varying the fans of this series can be. Safety and peace, friend!

lothario-da-be
01-04-2016, 07:16 PM
I started playing ac when I was 11. I don't think their is any problem in letting children older than 10 play ac. Unless they already are violent.

DynaRider
01-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Wait, are you really 78?

That's really cool, if so! Good to see how varying the fans of this series can be. Safety and peace, friend!

Yep. Was born in 1937. I have a PS3 and a PS4, I build my own computers and have just completed a new Skylake build hooked up to a 4K monitor and Syndicate looks pretty awesome. The body is getting a bit old and creaky but I like to keep the mind and attitude young.

Bipolar Matt
01-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Yep. Was born in 1937. I have a PS3 and a PS4, I build my own computers and have just completed a new Skylake build hooked up to a 4K monitor and Syndicate looks pretty awesome. The body is getting a bit old and creaky but I like to keep the mind and attitude young.

Well dang, color me impressed! My dad is 75 and refuses to even learn to turn a "compuker" on.

Bipolar Matt
01-04-2016, 08:53 PM
lol. Topic started over 4 years ago still getting attention.

My older son has now turned 13 as of a week ago. He started playing AC Unity, didn't really get into it. He's liking Syndicate better. Very mature kid with a good head on his shoulders.

I have a 3 1/2 year old son too, and he started becoming aware of video games about a year ago. When I'd put him to bed, "You going to pway Wogue?" I was playing AC Rogue as the time and every video game to him was "Wogue."