PDA

View Full Version : P-80 Engine Cutout

GreyBeast
05-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I've just been searching around, but I can't seem to come to a conclusion as to what causes the P-80's engine to cut out inflight, for no apparent reason...

Anyone know?

GuNzABlaZiN
05-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Playing around with the throttle too much? Hey, atleast it doesnt set on fire.

Fennec_P
05-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Just be thankful it's not the Me-262; it lights on fire instead.

It'll happen for a few reasons:

Increasing or decreasing throttle too rapidly. Move it slowly in 5% increments instead.

Setting throttle too low while travelling fast. If you want to reduce power to idle (like, when wanting to land), you have to kill all your speed first.

If the engine does stop, put the plane into a shallow dive and restart. Like the I-16, it will only restart if you have some speed.

TX-EcoDragon
05-28-2005, 06:22 PM
If you go to 100% it shuts off. . 99% is fine. . .100=glider. . .

go figure

Dolemite-
05-28-2005, 07:04 PM
At least you can turn it back on.

I've never had any trouble getting to 100% throttle. But if you really need to you can always turn the engine off, put the throttle to 100% and then turn it on.

p1ngu666
05-28-2005, 07:32 PM
think u can bbq it like 262...
didnt know it was fine at 99% tho, and its a right pain when it cuts out...

VW-IceFire
05-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GreyBeast:
I've just been searching around, but I can't seem to come to a conclusion as to what causes the P-80's engine to cut out inflight, for no apparent reason...

Anyone know?
Be gentle on the throttle. No sudden moves.

Badsight.
05-29-2005, 12:15 AM
a problem never fixed , not even on the T-33's

touchy throttle & flame outs

Aaron_GT
05-29-2005, 01:10 AM
It works at 100%, but you have to move to 100% gradually else it will flame out.

LeadSpitter_
05-29-2005, 05:01 AM
The me262 also had major problems with flameouts, engine fires, engines bursting into a fireball with other heep of problems, but for some reason just the yp80 has the flameout, from sharp turns.

Look for Czypionka and the me262 flameout and engine problems.

Aaron_GT
05-29-2005, 05:19 AM
The 262 and 229 have serious problems with fires, so I don't think an occasional missing flameout is a serious issue as compared to the YP-80.

lew1991
05-29-2005, 12:19 PM
didnt the gloster meteor suffer from flame-outs also http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

darkhorizon11
05-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah I've noticed that. Extremely annoying, although it is realistic. These problems weren't really corrected to an acceptable level until the Korean War. One thing I have noticed about the YP is that if I have 95% power in and jump up the throttle quickly to 110% it flames out (even though its only a 15% throttle increase). The 262, 162, and 229 don't have any problem with this.

Malik_VII
05-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Funny I just set up a QMB with a YP80 against two ME262. After I landed the engine quit as I was trying to taxi off the runway. Hit restart add some throttle and wooosh engine is on fire. So I bailed and pairly got out when it blew up. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

stathem
05-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Compressor Stall

- and it's not realistic, it's way underdone, and the reason the 262 (and probably the YP-80, although no-ones screaming for that) should stay banned, even if we do get the Tempest and the XIV.

From the article €œFlying the Sabre€ in Aeroplane, May 2005:

€œIf you ever wondered what keeps a jet engine€s flame coming out of the back instead of the front, the short answer is that the pressure at the front of the combustion chamber is higher than the pressure at the rear. When this is momentarily not so, the flame does indeed come out of the front. Slicing the nose round at high altitude and low speed can disturb the flow of air to the point that there is not enough to compress, reversing the thrust form the engine. Abrupt movement of the throttle at altitude will have the same result, owing to the fuel control€s inability to moderate the fuel flow, allowing either too much or too little fuel to disturb the flame pattern in the combustion chamber€

From Mike Spick€s LW Fighter Aces :

€œOnce the 262 was in the air€¦If the throttles were handled injudiciously, compressor stalls and flame-out followed€¦.In combat, hard manoeuvring with high angles of attack was avoided. Not only could this cause compressor stalling, but the increase in induced drag bled off speed at an alarming rate, which could only be slowly recovered€

Now whilst the €œinjudicious throttle use€ is modelled, the high AoA compressor stall most definitely isn€t. You can stall fight a 262 for fun, do 100 mph spiral climbs with huge rudder input, do €œprop hangs€ and very low speed hammerhead reversals. Don€t take my word for it, try it yourself.

To me that€s fair enough, this is primarily a prop sim, and it€s probably far too much effort to fix, especially since, at the moment, the 262 (and YP-80) is a marginal plane. But all the €œwe want the 262 €˜cos the XIV will be a UFO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif€ crowd and Spit FM complainers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif should be aware of the truth €" the 262 FM is just as dubious, and probably a lot more so, than any other.

Maybe 4.0 will fix it....

TX-EcoDragon
05-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
It works at 100%, but you have to move to 100% gradually else it will flame out.

Turns out I havent flown the thing in the current version. . it actually seems to work fine for me in the current version! It used to shut off at 100% no matter the speed or altitude, and no matter how gentle you were with it.

FI-Aflak
05-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by TX-EcoDragon:
If you go to 100% it shuts off. . 99% is fine. . .100=glider. . .

go figure

the fault here is that the P-80 max power setting is 100%, while the throttle in IL-2 is set to goto 110%. So you shove your throttle all the way forward to what would be 110% power, right? Then the game says "hey, no 110 for you, back to 100" then you bump your joystick and it says OK, 109% power, then the game says "hey, wait, 100% for you" and it jumps back and forth as if you were having a seizure while maintaining a tight grip on the throttle so the wackiness causes the engine to either get over flooded or starved and you loose it.

So don't put your throttle all the way forward, just to where it says 100%

PBNA-Boosher
05-30-2005, 09:13 PM
In real life:

What is happening is that the throttle controls the amount of fuel being pushed into the engine, therefore more is combusting and producing thrust. If you flood the engine by shoving in too much fuel, the fuel explodes inside the turbines and clogs the jet. I.E: you effectively choked the engine. Restarts in mid-air are possible, but if you're below 1500 meters I might suggest looking for a landing zone first before attempting a restart.