PDA

View Full Version : Question about the templars #ac2 spoiler#

xsatanicjokerx
11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't think this is talked about in assassin's creed 1 but it is in ac2 and im sure you all know that Rodrigo is atheist as he said to Ezio at the end of ac2 "...Do you think i beleived a single *******ed word of the ridiculous book? It's all lies and superstitions. just like every other religious tract thats been written..."

Which brings me to the topic who or what is the "Father of understanding" if Rodrigo is an atheist?

But then he does say to Ezio that "God lies within the vault" which would not make him an atheist. However he also wants to kill god so the "Father of understanding" who he refers to with respect could not be someone he wants to kill which would not make him god.

That would mean that there must be someone higher in power that Rogrigo in the Templar order that all the Templars know about but none of the assassin's do as they think Rodrigo is the leader so... oh no ive gone cross eyed...

lilbacchant
11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't know for sure, but I just assumed that the saying, "May the Father of Understanding guide you," is larely ceremonial/customary. Similar to saying, "May your road be wisely travelled."

And/or the "Father of Understanding" could be a reference to whoever is the particular leader of the order at any given time -- similar to referring to the Pope as "His Holiness".

xsatanicjokerx
11-13-2010, 07:59 PM
It could be the first one but with the second why would Rodrigo say "may the father of understanding guide us" himself thats like saying "may I guide myself" which I guess could work but it sounds silly to me.

I dont think the pope calles himself "My Holiness" or "His Holiness" when talking directly to people. But the first idea would make sense.

lilbacchant
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by xsatanicjokerx:
It could be the first one but with the second why would Rodrigo say "may the father of understanding guide us" himself thats like saying "may I guide myself" which I guess could work but it sounds silly to me.

I dont think the pope calles himself "My Holiness" or "His Holiness" when talking directly to people. But the first idea would make sense.

Well, at which point in AC2 did he become the leader himself? Based on Lineage, I was under the impression that the current Pope then (forget his name now) was the leader, so Rodrigo wouldn't have become leader until he replaced him, becoming Pope himself (which, according to Wikipedia, was in 1492).

xsatanicjokerx
11-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by lilbacchant:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xsatanicjokerx:

Well, at which point in AC2 did he become the leader himself? Based on Lineage, I was under the impression that the current Pope then (forget his name now) was the leader, so Rodrigo wouldn't have become leader until he replaced him, becoming Pope himself (which, according to Wikipedia, was in 1492). </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Thats when he becomes pope not the Templar leader. they are different things

Mic_92
11-13-2010, 08:29 PM
While Rodrigo Borgia did say he didn't believe in the bible, it doesn't mean he doesn't believe in a higher being.

As for the Father of Understanding, it was actually mentioned in AC1 when you enter the conference room at the end of the game and read the email, at the end it is written.

It's never really explained but it seems to be this thing called Baphomet or something which is a demon the Templar Knights were said to worship. Baphomet translates into "Father Of Understanding".

Check the wiki page, I didn't really feel like reading a wall of text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet

EmperorxZurg
11-13-2010, 08:56 PM
going off MiC:

My guess is he's agnostic. Agnostics basically believe there IS a higher being but none of the religions are right yet.

xsatanicjokerx
11-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Mic_92:
While Rodrigo Borgia did say he didn't believe in the bible, it doesn't mean he doesn't believe in a higher being. If you read all my post I clearly said he might not be atheist