PDA

View Full Version : Duds?

b2spirita
09-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Are dud rounds/bombs (rounds that fail to detonate ect) in the game?

I ask because is was messing around with the 37mm armed stuka and it seemed that some shotswere much less effective than others (im pretty certain that they did hit as i saw a little debris fly off). I was attacking airborne targets.

b2spirita
09-11-2008, 06:05 PM

I ask because is was messing around with the 37mm armed stuka and it seemed that some shotswere much less effective than others (im pretty certain that they did hit as i saw a little debris fly off). I was attacking airborne targets.

WTE_Galway
09-11-2008, 09:00 PM
There are no duds as far as I know. (If this were modeled historically most VVS rockets would fly in circles ... they were often dropped by ground crew and had bent fins)

Not all damage shows up visually so sometimes the last hit seems to do all the damage but in fact the earlier shots also had an effect.

Also a direct hit from a big angle that hits a wing or fuselage virtually side-on will do more damage than a glancing shot from behind. Note that most shots from the rear will tend to miss or glance off wings. A wing from behind is a very small target. Also remember that many planes have very strong armor in the fuselage especially to stop shots from the rear.

joejoemonkey
09-11-2008, 09:43 PM
could be your round went straight through without damaging anything other than the skin.

DKoor
09-12-2008, 02:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by b2spirita:

I ask because is was messing around with the 37mm armed stuka and it seemed that some shotswere much less effective than others (im pretty certain that they did hit as i saw a little debris fly off). I was attacking airborne targets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have noticed the same... perhaps that belt is not consisting of 37mm AP only? And that other shells have different visual impact model?

It is probably most precise to test that in air to air gunnery. So if you fire the guns and there is no effect on E/A then there is something fishy.

TinyTim
09-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Some large calibre cannons have alternating ammo sequence switches between armour piercing and high explosive rounds usually (NS-37, NS-45, MK214 on a Me262A1-U4 come to mind).

Stuka's belting is 12 pure AP rounds tho, so there shouldn't be any difference.

Maybe you didn't hit any vital part of a plane and AP round just sliced through the structure, while another shot could hit the bombload, or some vital part of structure. Use arcade=1 to determine where exactly your shots hit.